All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help please...
      #369153 - 02/03/13 02:15 PM
sderksen

Reged: 02/03/13
Loc: Manitoba, Canada

I've stumbled upon this website out of extreme desperation to find help with this issue that I've dealt with for over 10 years! I've been to the dr's and have been told that because they can't find anything else, it must be IBS. It has crippled my life; inhibiting me from so much: vacations, my job, just regular every day/week stuff. I know that mine is very much stress related because somedays just the knowledge that I have to leave the house for work or church or whatever, causes incredible stomach cramps and diarrhea. And yet, other days I'm completely fine! This is part of the anxiety for me; the never knowing when it's going to hit. I dislike going out to eat for what if it happens then? And then the cycle of anxiety begins again and I get cramps from the worrying about getting them. It's sounds crazy to my own ears, and yet it's part of my existence. I eat very healthy and have "experimented" with going gluten, dairy, sugar free with great results for a while and then it seems to hit unexpectedly. Obviously there is something else irritating me...BUT WHAT??? I'm frustrated and the pain I have when having these "contractions" absolutely terrifies me; I cry out as I sit on the toilet because there is nothing I can do but bear with it until it passes. Please tell me there is help for me...there has to be a reason I came upon this site.

--------------------
Shannon

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help please... new
      #369178 - 02/09/13 02:24 PM

Unregistered

Welcome, and I hope you find some relief here.

If your IBS is stress-related, you need to find a way to break the cycle of anxiety. However, that's easier said than done. Have you tried seeing your doctor about the cramps and diarrhea? There are various medications (known as antispasmodics) that could help stop the cramps from happening. Mebeverine is one, and buscopan (which is available without prescription) is another. Some people also find that peppermint capsules help, as peppermint is a natural antispasmodic.

If you can find a way to reduce or stop the physical effects of your IBS, it might break the cycle and help you address the psychological triggers.

#369180 - 02/10/13 07:45 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I completely understand your frustrations as I have lived with this my entire life. Altering your diet is a great step to ridding yourself of some of the terrible symptoms of cramping/diarrhea, etc. But, yes, the stress is a giant problem:) There are many ways to deal with that, but, you must find what works for you as a person. I cannot take prescription meds without so many side effects so for me I have to find other options. I strongly believe in deep breathing, meditation, etc...the hypnosis cds mentioned here on this site, listening to music, some type of exercise, even if it is just walking....nothing will eliminate all the stress in our lives but, you can try to take it moment to moment and see if anything helps you. This board is a wonderful place to ask questions and talk. I hear the desperation in your voice...please know that you are not alone...so many of us deal with these things...some days are great, some not so great. I think for me just realizing and accepting that helped. I spent alot of time just wanting it all to permanently go away and realized my time would be better spent accepting and continuing to move forward however you can.

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#369194 - 02/15/13 01:18 PM
sderksen

Reged: 02/03/13
Loc: Manitoba, Canada

Thanks for your kind advice! Just knowing that I don't suffer alone seems to make me feel better. I've been changing my diet for about 2 weeks now and the results have been wonderful; that alone is a stress reliever. It's almost as though I have to break the cycle of my mind thinking that I will be sick whenever I have to leave the house. That will take time I realize but I'm willing to do whatever it takes for as long as it takes!

--------------------
Shannon

#369223 - 02/19/13 11:31 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi Shannon - Glad you are taking it step by step -

Regarding this that you mention:

"It's almost as though I have to break the cycle of my mind thinking that I will be sick whenever I have to leave the house..."

The IBS Audio Program of hypnotherapy is great for breaking this cycle of thinking - the brain-gut connection - so do consider it as a possible addition to your arsenal of IBS treatments - more info below and on the hypnotherapy forum. If you have any questions, I am happy to help! All the best to you.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5131

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review