Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need a Sounding Board
      #367716 - 07/03/12 07:02 PM
TwinsPlusOne

Reged: 05/08/12
Loc: Western MA

Hello All-

I am relatively new here (but not new to IBS). I was diagnosed 14 years ago but offered very little guidance. Now I have found Heather's books and this website and things are starting to look up. Unfortunately I live in a rural area where people don't seem to have a good understanding of the intricacies of IBS. I am currently at a point where I am feeling somewhat tied to my house. I only work part time and in order to do that I barely eat on days I work -- I don't eat at work at all....

So I have been loving all of the recipes here -- it is like an oasis The thing is I find that yeast breads cause me quite a bit of bloating and discomfort. The staples of French or Italian bread are like torture. I just can't pinpoint is it the yeast? Is it the flour? I just feel like my list of safe foods is dwindling and I am lost.

Oh and to add a complicating factor I have lost a LOT of weight and the nutritionist told me I should be eating ~3000 calories a day to turn the weight loss around and stabilize myself....

Any suggestions are more than welcome! And I am grateful to have found all you wonderful people

--------------------
IBS C + D for 14 years. I am finally becoming open-minded enough to get out of my own way. Happily married and proud mother to 3 wonderful boys

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need a Sounding Board new
      #367719 - 07/04/12 07:26 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Assuming you have been tested for Celiac disease it quite possible that it isn't the yeast in the bread that is causing the problem but a constituent found in wheat and some other grains called fructans. Yeast is killed during the baking process and it is digested as a source of protein and vitamins.

Over the past decade there has been considerable research into the dietary triggers for IBS and other functional bowel disorders. Clinical trials have been conducted in Australia and the UK with a large trial soon to start in the US. The trials showed a 70-80% reduction in symptoms. You can read more about this dietary approach - called the FODMAP approach - in the first two links in my signature. They have a discussion on fructans in the articles.

Many people on the board use the FODMAP approach in conjunction with Heather's Eating For IBS approach with good success.

While it maybe possible to have gluten sensitivity there are no tests for it. Also it is a controversial issue as to whether it is or is not a real food intolerance. Diet elimination is the only way to tell but unfortunately you won't be able to tell if the symptoms are due to fructans or gluten.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367721 - 07/04/12 09:19 AM
nutritionlover

Reged: 09/18/11

It's also possible that it could be Celiac disease or a gluten/wheat intolerance. You want to rule out celiac for sure, and if it's not that you can try eliminating wheat/gluten to see if that helps (make sure you get tested for celiac before doing this, however). It's very easy to eat IBS safe and wheat free, I do so myself. Oatmeal (must be gluten free for celiacs), white & sweet potatoes, cooked carrots, winter squash, rice, rice cereal and bananas are my SF staples.

--------------------
IBS A (more D than C). Severe GERD & Hiatal Hernia as well.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

#367722 - 07/04/12 09:25 AM
TwinsPlusOne

I have tested negative for Celiac in the past but do wonder if I have a gluten sensitivity.

I will read your links SYL and research FODMAPS further. From what little I have scanned recently I see that it is better to follow a FODMAPS diet with a nutritionist -- is this true or can I go it alone? It is probably not well known where I live so I would be guiding the nutritionist most likely.....

Thanks for the help!

--------------------
IBS C + D for 14 years. I am finally becoming open-minded enough to get out of my own way. Happily married and proud mother to 3 wonderful boys

#367723 - 07/04/12 09:49 AM
Syl

I have done it alone for a few years without consulting a nutritionist. It isn't difficult.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#367726 - 07/05/12 06:31 AM
TwinsPlusOne

SO I ran right out and bought "IBS - Free At Last" and started reading it last night. My concern is that I feel as though many of the recommended foods for the Elimination Diet are things that I think are my triggers. I know that I am lactose intolerant -- and I suspect that I am also casein intolerant.

Can I substitute non-dairy for the dairy on the elimination diet? Or do things like rice or almond milk contain FODMAPS?

Sorry I have so many questions....

--------------------

#367727 - 07/05/12 06:54 AM
Syl

Yes - you can eliminate dairy and use rice or almond milk provided that no IBS unfriendly ingredients have been added. Usually these products are safe.

Unfortunately, the FODMAP approach doesn't discuss problems with insoluble fiber, fat, caffeine, alcohol and other common IBS triggers. When the original article (second link in my signature) was published by the Australian researchers they said they left these matters to the advising health care professional. They said "If adherence was strict, attention may be needed to modify intake of resistant starch and insoluble and soluble fiber. Other dietary triggers such as food chemicals may need to be considered, as should potential factors such as caffeine, fat, meal size and regularity."

Unfortunately, Patsy Catsos does not discuss these matters in her book. Combining the FODMAP approach with Heather's approach seems to be a good way to proceed.

Good luck

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7467

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review