All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Amitiza
      #367036 - 03/15/12 09:10 PM
arrabella

Reged: 03/15/12

I recently was prescribed a new drug, Amitiza, for ibs-c. I had a very adverse reaction to the drug, besides it not helping my ibs-c. Has anyone else tried it? Would be interested in any other stories. My gastro doc refused to treat me after I refused to continue taking it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Amitiza new
      #367045 - 03/17/12 06:27 PM
donuthurt

Reged: 03/17/12

Hi arrabella , I replied to your post but i dont see it, so ill type it again.
I to was givin Amatiza from GI doctor. I believe there are 2 strengths i was giving the strongest.(should have started with the smallest) Oh boy did it make turmoil in my tummy . But sure made me go. The stool was like cornmeal mush. I only took it for a few days i ended up goin to the ER with chest pains and the ER doctor didnt like that amitiza he said not enough has been studied for it and he directed me to stop taking it. My GI doc was not happy about that but oh well not the docs body its mine! I now have a new GI doc and he doesnt like the affects of Amitiza either. So my advice to you is find a New GI. There is no one magic pill that fits all .

#367046 - 03/18/12 12:00 PM
arrabella

Reged: 03/15/12

Hi,Donuthurt. Yes, I was prescribed the lowest dose first, like 8mg or whatever. It did nothing for the ibs, it did make me slightly dizzy, but the pain was still there and I felt very tired with it. Then I was directed to take the 25mg dose and after a week on that, I was EXTREMELY dizzy, anxious, and had the explosive runs and felt nauseated. And deep headache. I even left work and drove to the gi doctor's office, which is on my way home. The nurse saw me, the doc was "busy" and the nurse told me to stop taking it. Duh. I went home from there and got a call from another nurse assistant who told me the doc wanted me to take the lower doseage. I said absolutely not. I was sensitized to the meds and feeling awful. If I had not had the other symtoms, I might consider it. I have to work, I have to live. My elderly mother lives with me and I take care of her as well, when she needs it. She has colitis and has lived with an illiostomy for several years now. The doc refused to see me if I didnt do as he said. I saw the physician's assistant, who wanted me to take stronger pain meds. I had investigated some of those, especially on the ibs site, and told her no. I was then told to go to my regular internal doctor, and find out what they would recommend. The internal doctor was out of town and her phy assistant recommended that I was depressed and needed antidepressants. Oy Vey. So it was a brick wall. I have been trying to investigate better doctors out here, but am not getting anywhere. Sorry this is so long. My work has just changed insurance companies as well, and I need to find someone in the "network". Back to square one. I am currently taking citalopram, which is generic for I forget what, it is an antidepressant and pain killer. My mother takes it for her colitis and anxiety, she is a very sensitive person. I inherited that tendency from her. I have the lowest dosage. It is not helping. I have decided this weekend, after much thought, to go back to taking melatonin, which is a natural hormone dirivitive from cows or pigs, which is a muscle relaxant and sleep aid. I feel more pain during the day (my colon is very sore inside, like being scratched, and I drink a lot of peppermint tea), but I do feel more rested since starting to take it again. No more citalopram, either. Geeze. I am sorry for your trouble with Amitiza. We are not guinea pigs, we are people with a real problem and I wish these dumb doctors would wake up. Regards to you.

#367248 - 04/15/12 09:44 AM
Jang65

Reged: 01/13/11

I was prescribed Amitiza as the very first drug when IBS-C was suspected. I took it exactly as prescribed and it did absolutely nothing - good or bad. I was then moved to Bentyl, which only works occasionally. I was also prescribed Librax which put me into a catatonic state. My doctor has given up on me. I am shopping for a new one.

#367250 - 04/15/12 09:53 AM
Jang65

Reged: 01/13/11

Not everyone responds the same way to a drug. I have not found any prescription drug that really helps the pain, gas, and bloating. I have a strict practice of taking Acacia powder (I'm now up to 3T per day), peppermint oil capsules several times a day on an empty stomach, and fennel and peppermint tea until I'm drowning in it. Nothing else has ever helped me. Watch your portion sizes when you eat. I think we all eat too much when we find something that doesn't make us run to the bathroom or bend us in half with pain.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 256 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10411

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review