All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Depressed
      #366057 - 09/10/11 03:34 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

I haven't posted in a while. I haven't needed to. Have had IBS-D for a few years.
For the last month or so, I have been having "issues." Father in law has been staying with us = stressful. Job = stressful. I developed some symptoms that correlate with MS, which REALLY stresses me out. Getting this checked out. IBS flaring up like crazy lately, I guess from the stress of not knowing what is going on with my body! I had one doctor tell me that all my symptoms could be caused by stress. This would actually be a relief!
Just needed to vent. I am worried about my feelings of despair turning into something like chronic depression. I have been depressed in the past, and I know it was related to my IBS, but now I'm depressed all the time. I have even had several anxiety attacks and have developed insomnia.
Any tips on how to deal with this stress/anxiety/depression would be appreciated.
Thanks for "listening."

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Depressed new
      #366101 - 09/17/11 09:11 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hi Caitlin,

Stress sucks and it is so hard on IBS!! I hope that you get some answers in terms of the MS symptoms and that it is not bad news. Have you seen a dr. about the increased anxiety attacks? There might be something to help.

Also have you ever tried the hypno? I used the 100 day program 3 times through and found it helped more than just my IBS. I slept better and felt better overall. Right now I am just doing a sleep hypno as I can't fall asleep - my brain is over-thinking....
Big hugs!!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#366163 - 09/26/11 08:31 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

All my tests came back normal. So I guess the diagnosis is STRESS! I see another doc tomorrow to try to get some help for the insomnia. I have the same problem you do; my brain will not stop. Something as silly as song lyrics can keep me up for hours. I can't even nap! I really miss being able to nap. I started reading "They Can't Find Anything Wrong!: 7 Keys to Understanding, Treating, and Healing Stress Illness" by David Clarke. It is helping me feel like less of a weirdo for having these issues.
Thanks for the hypno suggestion. I have not tried it! I will have to look into that.
I am looking for a new job, since my current one is the main source of my stress. I also need to find more time to exercise. That's supposed to help! I think my anxiety was caused by my job and worrying that there was something medically wrong with me. Since the tests all came back normal AND since my father in-law moved out, I have not had any major anxiety attacks.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#366352 - 11/03/11 11:28 AM
KareBear

Reged: 05/30/11
Loc: Arizona

I totally recommend the hypnotherapy program as well. Michael is amazing! It went beyond helping me with my IBS symptoms and truly helped my anixety as well. I deal with everything a lot differently now. I actually just feel calmer, which is fabulous. However, there is the occassion when I feel like I am going over the edge and I wish I could have Michael whispering in my ear right then, but I just go back and mentally focus on the lessons I learned from the CDs, which does help. One other thing I have found in trying to get out of my own head which can be a death trap as you know is music. I try to walk for exercise, but that doesn't always happen, but when I do I plug in my Ipod and tune out everything else. I have also started doing this at the grocery store or Walmart. I will even do it while cleaning the house. My song variety changes and some are slow songs, others fast and peppy. It doesn't seem to matter because it is a good flow to whatever I am doing. It makes the stress of do I have enough money at the grocery store, or gee that person is blocking the isle, or why is my house always so dusty seem like no big deal. I think some times are subconsious stores up these little annoyances and as soon as something big hits it is too much for our brains to handle. I stopped taking anxiety medicine several months back before I started the hypnotherapy and I feel so much better without it. I hope maybe my little trick will help you too. Just try to zone out. Also, a hot bath before bed and no tv or computer. Don't stimulate your brain too much before trying to fall asleep. Definitely get the CDs though Michael's voice will lull you to sleep:)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4833

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review