All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Imodium - To take or not take - HELP
      #365447 - 07/08/11 08:52 AM
KareBear

Reged: 05/30/11
Loc: Arizona

So, I have been following this program (Eating for IBS) for about two months now. I feel better most the timeand the hypnotherapy seems to be working in terms of my anxiety.Here is my issue; at least once a week I am still having diareha like episodes. I sat like because it isn't as pure watery as before, but a step above. Same urgency and pain. I have gotten off taking any non-natural chemical for my issues because they weren't really helping me after 20 years of fighting this. My routine is now this; in the morning I take my one Align probiotic, at bedtime I take my peppermint oil capsule (with fennel & ginger) and my birth control. That is one chemical I still must have. I take a fennel capsule when needed with food to assist with gas, which seems to be a lot since the new diet. I was wary about the fiber because of bad issues in the past. However, I got the Benefiber powder and was taking 2 tsps in the morning for the past month. This past week I have increased it to twice a day once at breakfast and once at dinner. I wanted to introduce it in slowly. Yet, these episodes make me wonder if I should still be using Imodium. They are really affecting my job and with a new boss it is not going over well. I used to take 1/2 an Imodium tablet every three days or so to keep me "balanced". This didn't always stop my major attacks, but most the time I had much more formed and harder stool. This was good. An occassional traffic jam, which I would just cut back on my use. I just don't know if that is still something that I should be doing. I want my body to not have to rely on chemicals to get me to the better place people talk about, but maybe this Imodium won't hurt. I don't know. Mentally I feel good. A few anxiety issues since stopping my Zoloft over two months ago, but they were more influenced by outside sources and I dealt with it. I have lost weight with the new diet which is amazing. I am still keeping things pretty bland as I am a newbie to all this. I just don't want to screw up what progress I am making by reintroducing the Imodium. However, there are times I just can't have these attacks. I need to get them to stop sooner. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on this. Have you stopped it? Do you still use it? Will I ruin my progress? I want to get to where Heather is with just one or two attacks a year. I know two months is not a long time, but circumstances with work make these attacks tenuous as I CANNOT afford to lose my job. I have appreciated all the great advice so am looking for more. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Imodium - To take or not take - HELP new
      #365484 - 07/10/11 02:09 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

From what I have read regarding GI rec for Imodium, you can take it either preventively or as needed without too much concern - it is not harmful or addictive in nature, though for some people, they keep upping the dose until it no longer works for them - but - if it helps you get through times that you need it, I say keep with it until you find your balance. The less you are in pain and in worry, the better.

The hypnotherapy will help you with this balance as well as the anxiety issues and hopefully, you can gradually reduce and then perhaps even eliminate your need for it.

Try not to worry or think (I know it is hard - been there myself) too much about the details -

If you need support, this can be explained in greater deatil, please call 877-898-2539 - but don't give up hope - you will be better!

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#365600 - 07/22/11 07:09 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I use it as needed I use the quick dissolve and if having problems usually take two or three,If my stomach is just not right I take one just in case.
hth

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#365960 - 08/31/11 12:11 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi, just wanted to offer support and let you know I struggled with taking Imodium, or not to take it.
I have to remind myself that I'm not bad for having to take more Imodium when I need it. I'm not a sick person who is getting better or worse-- I have IBS and this is the way by body is. I will watch my diet and stressors, take my bc, sleep meds, and try to eat correctly. But I might sh^t myself at work if I don't take, sometimes, up to 8 Imodium a day. And that's just a thing I have to live with. I balance C with D like diabetics balance sugar with insulin.

It's like, my body will betray me if I don't stay hypervigillant about the state of my BMs. It doesn't care that my brain is ashamed of taking medication. My body's like, "Screw you, Brain, we ate the pizza, now WE're going to expand with painful trapped gas and have explosive D in the work restroom, and you can just be late to your boss's important meeting, because YOU didn't want to take 3 Imodium in front of everyone at the staff lunch."

When we suffer, we suffer alone. And then get in trouble for it afterwards. We have to take care of ourselves. I will get sick! But Imodium helps me decide when, WHERE, how, and *how bad* it'll be. This sucks, and nothing makes it disapear. I get how my BF feels, because I feel the same reading everyone's posts! Argg! I wish something would take this all away. Until then, I'll conjure up a bowl of magically IBS-safe mint chocolate chip ice cream, and offer everyone here a spoon...!

Be safe, IBS-safe or otherwise-- only you know what's good for you...!

{{{{HUGS}}}}

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 397 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6421

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review