All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Working and IBS
      #365059 - 06/08/11 04:53 PM
sammylou

Reged: 06/08/11

I am interested to know how other people manage with work and IBS. In a perfect world I would work from home so that I could be near a private bathroom that I can use immediatley when attacks occur, but I know that is probably never going to happen. How do you handle it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Working and IBS new
      #365076 - 06/09/11 03:02 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Working is hard when you're unstable. It was embarrassing some days. Plus where I used to work, when my tum was at it's worst, wasn't the best environment to start with.
Now, I'm more stable. I eat carefully in the morning. I'm up 2.5 hours before I have to go to work, this way I have plenty of time for trips to the bathroom if I need them. If not, I read a book I take snacks to work and munch through the day. I eat a safe lunch and then I can usually manage through the day. I have had days where I did have attacks at work. I am fortunate where I work now - legal assistant - that I can just run to the bathroom when needed. And even more fortunate, my bosses have let me come home a couple times when it was horrible.
I don't have any suggestions as to what type of a job would be best. From the past replies here on the board, we all do a variety of things. Each person finds the niche and goes with it.
I also always keep peppermint altoids, peppermint tea, and Immodium and ginger capsules in my purse. Better than an American Express card - never leave home without them!!

Good luck!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#365302 - 06/28/11 12:01 PM
luckiest1

Reged: 10/22/10
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I am lucky enough to be able to work from home on days when I am not feeling well (happened a few times already this month). Otherwise I keep my desk drawer stocked with safe food options and bring a lunch every day so I am not tempted to eat out. I don't know how I would manage in a more restrictive work environment.

--------------------
IBS-C

#365570 - 07/19/11 10:09 AM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

I know this post is a little old but I wanted to reply. Sometimes working outside the home can be downright miserable. I ended up leaving a place I was working because they were unsympathetic to my issue and it cause a somewhat stressful environment to be even more stressful. It is nice when you work in a place where you can get to the bathroom whenever you need to. A lot of times I would have my worst feelings in the morning. This made it almost unbearable as my commute to work was about 45 minutes. There were times when I would have to stop because my tummy would act up and my anxiety attacks would come on. That can be really scary. After I left there I found an at home job. It was okay then as I was married and I was just supplementing. Now I am divorced and must return to an outside job. Luckily this time my job is only about 25 min away. Also it is an active job where I will be moving a lot and that seems to help me. My prior job was a desk job. If you are interested in the at home job I had (and still have if I want or need to continue) is with Liveops. I think it is that name dot com. I don't know how continuous the hiring process is but I am thankful that I have it just in case the new job does not agree with me. I think it all depends on my stress level. So for what it's worth, that is how I coped. The ideal is to have an employer who understands your situation and not to feel like your job is on the line because of an uncontrollable (at times) condition that you did not choose to have.

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 276 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5428

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review