All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Careers with IBS
      #364669 - 05/10/11 07:33 AM
Caityc

Reged: 05/10/11

Does anyone have any suggestions for jobs or careers that would not interfere with IBS? I currently work as a Massage Therapist and there are times when I have to step out and leave my appointments. I have yet to have any problems with my clients but it is embarrassing to have to think of excuses to leave the room all the time. I need a job or career where it doesn't matter how often I go to the bathroom and don't need anyone to cover for me if and when i do leave. I've been racking my brain for awhile over this and any ideas or stories of successful careers or jobs with IBS would be very appreciated and encouraging! Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Careers with IBS new
      #364697 - 05/11/11 11:22 AM
AislingH

Reged: 05/10/11
Loc: Canada

I can sympathize with this and have had similar problems in the past when I had a job which involved mostly group work at an office. There were times when I would have to excuse myself and be gone a good while.

Currently I'm a writer which is an ideal job for someone with IBS (except for the crappy pay and the fact that the publishing industry is in a state of collapse). Even then, though, I've had to explain my issues with travel and so on to publishers who have wanted me to attend conferences etc. (just not possible when it's virtually impossible for me to eat out and besides, travel is a huge trigger for me). I would imagine most solitary jobs would suit somone with IBS - things like graphic artist, researcher, various types of computer work. I would love to hear more if other people have suggestions too!

Re: Careers with IBS new
      #365181 - 06/17/11 08:16 PM
KareBear

Reged: 05/30/11
Loc: Arizona

Obviously anything that you can do from the comfort of your own home is best. Although, that is hard to find with enough pay so you can actually still pay the rent/mortgage. You might try an in-home daycare. My sister had one for years and she did well. She had about five kids and a friend who she used as help. There are also jobs with telecommunications that you can do from home. Don't know much about them, but if it is something where you can sign on or off as needed that would be great. I wish I could think of something that paid well and took me out of the stressful work environment that I am in as well. It sucks.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4239

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review