All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pain associated with sitting for long periods of time
      #364475 - 04/26/11 05:19 PM
MelCap

Reged: 04/26/11

Hi!
My questions is...After only 45 minutes of sitting my stomach begins to hurt, I get very bloated and experience gas pains and other stomach pains. Often times the pain will not go away until the next day i.e. it doesn't help to just walk around. I am wondering if others are experiencing the same discomforts and if there are any techniques for battling it.
Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pain associated with sitting for long periods of time new
      #364696 - 05/11/11 11:05 AM
AislingH

Reged: 05/10/11
Loc: Canada

If I'm sitting in a cramped space (aka awful theatre seats) I have this problem too. It only helps if I can walk around for quite a long period of time. I've tried gas-x and hot water bottles but so far haven't found anything that's worked. The worst pain is on a plane. I feel myself bloating up like a potato chip bag (because of the difference in air pressure I presume?). The only thing that I've found that helped even a little was starving myself in these situations. Granted it doesn't sound like a very healthy solution and I only do it when I'm on a long flight because otherwise the pain becomes unbearable, otherwise I've just been popping Gas-x and avoiding gassy foods and liquids if I have to sit somewhere cramped for any longer than an hour. Does it happen to you everytime you sit for 45 minutes? Even on your comfy couch at home say? I'm just curious because it doesn't seem to happen to me when I'm sitting at a comfy desk chair or in the movies (where they have roomy seats)..

Re: Pain associated with sitting for long periods of time new
      #365019 - 06/05/11 05:30 PM
MelCap

Reged: 04/26/11

Hi
Thanks for your reply!
It doesn't happen every time I sit for long periods of time, but there are situations where it will happen every time. The movies are one of them, no matter how spacious the seat. I do find though that if I am at home on my couch or something like that I am more likely to lie down and I don't experience any pain. I think there is literally something associated with sitting upright for a long time.
The airplane is also a painful situation but if you take a gas-x before the plane I find that helps a little!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 179 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5934

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review