All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Why am I having IBS?
      #362848 - 01/10/11 02:40 PM
NASCARAFN161

Reged: 01/09/11

For a long time of suffering of IBS, I'm sick and tired of every time I eat my favorite foods being a game of chance. As long as I can remember, about 5-8 years ago, about the prime of my childhood, I've been having these monstrous pains. For about 9 months, I have been discussing with my doctor and my family about this, and by this point am really sure it's IBS. And ever since, I've been trying to figure out why I have been having it. I have a number of theories. One is my eating habits: I'm afraid that sometimes whenever I eat my favorite foods (unfortunately, most of them are listed under the "IBS Trigger Section") I'll have this pain. Every Saturday night, after church, I used to go to Burger King, and had a casual Fry/cheeseburger meal. Having memories of attacks, I fast from eating @ BK. Same goes with other foods, which are listed under my "Can I eat these anyomre?" (Anymore is spelled wrong in the title). I sometimes eat those foods nowadays, and sometimes I get an attack. Now here's where it gets REAL confusing. My grandpa thinks it's stress. He says that It's a huge factor, but I try to refrain, yet sometimes evenings of days I get too worried I get an attack. And a third thing that I don't get is the fact that it's so unpredictable, and I believe everyone's reaction to this pain is different physically. And finally, how other people can go through eating a lot of that kind of food. (I'm not real angry at THAT, just curious...)
If anyone can help, thank you very very much, and I hope to enjoy my stay here. And to all others who are also against IBS, LET'S FIND A CURE!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why am I having IBS? new
      #362858 - 01/11/11 04:55 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

Everyone is different with their IBS. In the beginning for me it was a lot of trial and error. You will find that some foods on the IBS trigger list you may be able to tolerate and others you cannot. Eventually you will find what works for you and what doesn't. You're Grandpa is correct stress can play a big part in IBS it's not all of it but it does definitely have an effect. Something you can try if you are stressed is some of Heather's tummy teas. I'm stable now with my IBS but if I feel stressed or If I do happen to have a bad IBS day for whatever reason I'll drink Heather's peppermint Tummy tea or you can buy peppermint teas in the grocery store just make sure you get a caffeine free one. I like the brand Bigelow mint medley herb tea (buy at Wal-Mart). Heather's fennel tea is great if you are bloated or gassy. I've just recently started drinking a tea by Tazo called "CALM" it's a blend of different Herbs I got this at Wal-Mart too but I think it's a brand that Starbucks offers too. These are some things you can do to help with stress. Once you figure out a diet that works for you and find ways to manage feeling stressed you'll be feeling better in no time. Be patient it'll get better.

#362859 - 01/11/11 04:59 AM
NASCARAFN161

Say, thanks again! Well, I'm real glad to hear the fact that some foods you can tolerate. That's one thing I've been wanting to know! And thanks, also, for the Tummy Tea tidbit.

#362861 - 01/11/11 06:11 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

You can tell your grandpa that while stress can make IBS symptoms worse it isn't the cause of IBS. The cause of IBS is still a bit of a mystery but there is good evidence that is caused by problem with the way the brain in your head and the brain in your intestines communicate with each other. You might print out the section in one of Heather's newsletters What exactly does it mean that IBS is a brain-gut dysfunction? These symptoms are not all in my head!" and give to your grandpa to read. There is lots of information in the IBS research library that you can show him too that shows IBS is not a result of stress.

The good news is the gut directed hypnotherapy is known to be very effective for helping teenagers and young adults manage IBS symptoms. It along with the dietary guidelines will likely help you alot. You can read about gut directed hypnotherapy here and you can ask questions about it on the "Hypnosis for IBS" board.

Ask lots of questions. There are many people here who can help you with ways to manage your IBS symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: You're welcome and good luck! new
      #362862 - 01/11/11 06:13 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

#362868 - 01/11/11 12:31 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Try the hypnosis cds sold on this site. They help many folks, me included. I eat a healthy and varied diet with no problems whatsoever. That was after 3 rounds of the cds. They are reasonably priced and work wonders. Good luck!

#362869 - 01/11/11 02:15 PM
NASCARAFN161

Thank you, all of you who replied! I'm starting to consider that hypnotherapy now!

#362889 - 01/13/11 11:08 AM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Don't be discouraged - there IS hope!

Take a peek at my story - like Gerikat, I too was helped with the IBS Audio Program of hypnotherapy... and this was after trying everything else for years.

We have a forum as well, and many folks in our success thread to provide some encouragement.

All the best, and feel free to ask any questions - we are happy to help if we can.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 465 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8555

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review