All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Wintertime blues?
      #362692 - 12/27/10 02:24 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

Does anyone notice their symptoms are worse in the winter? I feel like theres more people with IBS in the northern part of the country (US) and Canada, where we dont see as much sunlight (I know this is the case for multiple sclerosis). I notice i have more frequent issues in the winter (2 flares/wk) than summer (1 flare/month) and i make sure to take 1000 IU Vit D daily since we really dont see any sun in the winter in seattle (hello rain clouds!)...hmm...i wonder if this is a trend.

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wintertime blues? new
      #362704 - 12/29/10 07:04 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There definitely seems to be a link between short days and worsening symptoms. I notice it every year. Also, there is some research that show individuals with IBS have more difficulty with shift work which suggests a link between day length and symptoms severity.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362708 - 12/29/10 02:40 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

thats a really interesting thought I'm another washingtonian ( tacoma) and I've noticed the same trouble in the winter, this winter has been better however, i started the IBS hypno program a couple weeks ago and got happy lights, which are speacial lights that work like the sun to help fight seasonal depression. I'm originally from the very sunny state of louisiana and my ibs wasn't as bad in the winter there, however it was hell all summer due to heat and humidity, this climate overall seems better for the tummy, but i think my extra winter stomach issues are based on seasonal depression, brought on by the weather

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#362710 - 12/29/10 06:00 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Nope. Summertime.

#362716 - 12/30/10 07:39 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

My symptoms are worse in th ewinter due to both lack of sunlight and due to my constant snacking.When I am cooped up in the house,I munch or graze...which ever you prefer.
In the hot summer months my IBS flares too.I used to love baking in the sun but not anymore.Heat and humidity kill me.
I prefer spring and fall though I have always loved summer,it is no longer my friend.
I think winter is even preferable to the heat summer brings and the horrible stomach issues.
HTH..

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#362849 - 01/10/11 03:02 PM
NASCARAFN161

Reged: 01/09/11

Hm.... I thought MY symptoms would get better in the winter. Apparently, I frankly don't know the answer to that. Sorry..... As for you, I wish you good luck on the path to Anti-IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7281

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review