All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Dragonfly new
      #362249 - 11/28/10 04:55 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Love your post. I just posted somthing similar on the hypnosis board.

When I hear certain people go on and on, I tend to think/hear Charlie Brown's teacher. Whah,whah, whah, and then fade to black...mind is gone! teeheehee

By the way, if you want to stay well, stay away from doctors.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Catarific new
      #362250 - 11/28/10 05:01 PM
Gerikat

It is all about the mind. You stuff all the trauma from a lifetime somewhere in your body, we tend to stuff it in our bowels. That is not to say there are not physical symptoms, but you need to get to the root. Read my post on the hypno board of my expereince.

Re: Great Taste No Pain Diet new
      #362257 - 11/29/10 05:34 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

So then why does hypnosis work Syl?

When you change the way you think,you end up being able to eat foods you couldn't before.How can that not be in your head?

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't eat meat with starches.
I'm saying that everyone is different and no matter how much research or articles you want to reference here,Catarific did not get better on the EFI.

What she is trying is working.Not always do we have to have scientific proof to believe.

To be honest,for every Doctor or expert that says one thing,there is another who disagrees.IMHO

Not arguing that there is evidence to suggest that "it has physical causes" but mine totally
comes from stress.To me IBS is a direct result to how stressed I am.It didn't start with any other cause.

My body has always dealt with stress by showing up inside.
That's ME and to say that nothing else but EFI is going to work is part of the reason so many have left this site.
So for you it has physical causes....for me stress..( in the form of my in laws.)..is my cause.

We won't ever completely agree but that doesn't make your opinion or mine wrong,just different.

Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#362258 - 11/29/10 06:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Ah- ha - I was waiting for that question. After I read your post I turned to my wife and say I bet the next question she asks is about hypnosis and IBS

Hypnosis works for a lot of disorders not just IBS. Generally speaking you are learn to reframe the way you think about things you are feeling and sensing. Partially you are using your mind as a biofeed back mechanism. In other words it is a process of self-regulation. For example, hypnosis for arthritis or painful medical procedure such a tooth extraction you can learn to 'turn down the pain' just like changing the volume control on a radio. Arthritis isn't a disease of the mind. Clinical trials on burn patients show hypnosis can decrease pain and speed healing. Hypnosis isn't a cure - it is a powerful symptom management aid.

There is no question there is a mind-body connection in IBS as well as most medical conditions. Your mind is a powerful tool that you can use to manage extremely stressful and uncomfortable situations. However, the cause of IBS is not in your mind. The cause(s) appears to be physical organic disorders in the way the second brain in the gut processes information in the GI tract and communicates that information to the brain in your head. About 30% or IBS patients experienced the start of the disorder after having a GI infection. In about 50-60% of these individuals the IBS symptoms disappear within 5 years. Unfortunately for the rest they have IBS for the rest of their lives. In this case the viral infection is considered to the causal agent.

I don't doubt that Catarific notice great improvement when she change to the food combining diet. This doesn't mean that the diet itself is based on proper notions. It likely means that she removed major GI stimulants in from her current diet when she switched to the food combining diet. This effect likely would have occurred had she used proven IBS management dietary approaches such as the EFI or FODMAP diet. It would be more useful to identify the triggers and remove them from her normal diet.

I don't recall Catarific saying the EFI diet did not work for her. At least I did see it in any of her 12 posts. However, I did notice she drank apple juice which even Heather suggests that is not a good idea because of its high excess fructose content. This alone can cause D even in normal individuals. Maybe she will enlighten us more.

You are absolutely right. Stress shows up on the inside of ones body and it can seriously exacerbate IBS symptoms as well as the symptoms from many other medical disorders. The human mind is powerful. It affects every part of our body. However, it does not cause disorders like IBS but it definitely can affect the way you feel its affects. However, stress does not cause IBS but it sure can make the symptoms more problematic.

Have you tried gut directed hypnosis?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362259 - 11/29/10 07:20 AM
dragonfly

I know IBS isn't technically IN your brain.
Tell me then where would someone "get" iBS if they didn't have an infection.You note 30% started this way.

I did do the hypnosis.I found out of everything,it worked the best.
I have to say though,I drink apple juice with no problems.I lived on it for a longtime to keep my IBS from flaring so again,different people.
Perhaps apple juice is a trigger for some, not for me.I have been able to eat just about anything but as soon as things get stressful in my Life,IBS rears its ugly head.
If I don't think about it,I am usually OK.

It doesn't matter if this new diet is based on proper notions.If she is eating well,and doing well.Isn't that what Matters?

--------------------

#362262 - 11/29/10 07:58 AM
Syl

You asked "where would someone "get" iBS if they didn't have an infection". This is the million dollar question. There are indications that a genetic component maybe at play too. We will have to wait and see. The research in this area is moving rapidly at the moment. It might not be too long before we have some answers.

There are instances were constituents of foods from one group require consumption of constituents of foods from another group at the same time in order for some foods to be digested efficiently. Not sure a diet that is does not take these facts into account can be healthy in the long term. In the short term it likely doesn't matter. More importantly, the food combining diet is not aligned with known and proven dietary principles for managing IBS. That in itself is not good at least for individuals with IBS.

Anyway - we have covered this topic thoroughly now. On to the next weird topic that will surely show up on the boards shortly

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Dragonfly, why waste your time? new
      #362265 - 11/29/10 12:00 PM
Gerikat

Didn't you know it's all about FODMAPs and fructose and of course, as always, the Quack watch link?

Now now Gerikat - play nice - nt - new
      #362266 - 11/29/10 12:46 PM
Syl

--------------------

Catarific new
      #362269 - 11/29/10 03:29 PM
Gerikat

If you haven't left the boards already and can answer this, I would be interested to know if you consume any animal products at all? Just curious what kind of protein you consume. Also, do you suffer from any kind of heartburn/GERD? Thanks.

Re: Dragonfly, why waste your time? new
      #362270 - 11/29/10 05:06 PM
dragonfly

I don't consider talking to SYL a waste of time.He has alot of good info.Even if we don't always agree on things.That is why people should come here AND keep doing their own research elsewhere.

Syl's experience and advice has helped so many people,even if you weren't among them.

We are all here to find help and offer our experiences.Getting hostile never solves anything.Debate is good until people get too defensive.

Always better yourself with knowledge and a smile
Hope you are doing well.

Chris

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24495

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review