All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: Great Taste No Pain Diet new
      #362230 - 11/27/10 04:02 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Everyone is different,not everyone gets better on the EFI diet,though some think it is THE ONLY thing that works.
It's not,but it did for me and I recommend it to others all the time.I have talked to many who did not find help on EFI.
Great community here though so keep sharing.
If you are finding relief and good results than go for it.

Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#362231 - 11/27/10 07:49 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yep! Had to edit this since it dropped down to someone's post I did not agree with. I am saying "yep" to Dragonfly. Totally agree with you.

Edited by Gerikat (11/29/10 11:57 AM)

#362233 - 11/28/10 03:43 AM
catarific

Reged: 09/25/10
Loc: Florida, USA

Here is a much easier approach - model by Dr. Hay:

Starches and sugars should not be eaten with proteins and acid fruits at the same meal
Vegetables, salads and fruits (whether acid or sweet) if correctly combined, should form the major part of the diet
Proteins, starches and fats should be eaten in small quantities
Only whole grains and unprocessed starches should be used and all refined and processed foods should be eliminated from the diet
Not less than four hours between starch and protein meals
Milk does not combine well with food and should be kept to a minimum
Don't mix foods that fight, see below food lists:

List A
Proteins
All meat
All poultry
Cheese
Eggs
Fish
Soya Beans
Yoghurt

List B
Neutral Foods
Most vegetables
All salads
Seeds
Nuts
Herbs
Cream
Butter
Olive oil

List C
Starches
Biscuits
Bread
Cakes
Crackers
Oats
Pasta
Potatoes
Rice
Sugar/Honey
Sweets

Mix anything from List A with List B
Mix anything from List C with List B
Never mix List A and C!
Mix vegetables or salads with pulses i.e. beans/lentils - make these and unprocessed foods the main part of your diet

Fruits should be eaten separately and not mixed with any list. You can combine different fruits together such as a fruit salad but fruit should not be mixed with anything else.

#362235 - 11/28/10 04:33 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You are right some diets work better than others for some people. However, a credible diet for managing IBS has to built on facts about the human digestive system not fiction.

Shelton and later Hay's diets are derived on old, some would say ancient, physiological notions we now know are completely inaccurate. Our bodies just don't digest foods the way these people thought they did. The basic notions of the diet are completely incorrect from a physiological and medical point of view.

Here is an example "The acids of acid foods inhibit the secretion of the digestive acids required for protein digestion. Undigested proteins putrefy in bacterial decomposition and produces some potent poisons." Acids from foods don't affect very acidity enviroment in the stomach juices hardly at all. More importantly there is no bacterial decomposition in the stomach. The stomach releases protein-digesting enzymes and hydrochloric acid into the stomach that kills or inhibits bacteria and provides a very acidic pH for the enzymes to work. Also the notion that "acids neutralize the alkaline medium required for starch digestion and the result is indigestion and fermentation" is nonsense! The stomach juices (chime) is never ever alkaline -- the ph of the stomach is always kept very acidic between ph 1 and 2. The ph in the small intestine is very acidic too with a ph between 3 and 4. The ph of the stomach would have to rise to above 7 in order to be considered alkaline in which case the person wouldn't be dead. The basic physiological principles have to be correct before a diet can make sense! Anyone who paid attention in high school health and science would know the ideas this diet is based on are inaccurate.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362236 - 11/28/10 06:45 AM
catarific

Whether or not the explanations or correct or incorrect - the diet does work if you are experiencing diarrhea. When I went to my gastroenterologist, he explained that sometimes there are no answers - only detective work in finding out how you can eat and what your reaction will be to the food. He even said keeping food diaries do not always work because one day you might do well with a food and the next, the same food could cause you distress. You may or may not agree with the explanations that are given - but the outcome works. I am most usually a skeptic and never try anything at all that does not make sense. This did not make sense to me either. But I said - what do I have to lose - so I downloaded the 4 day plan and 5 days later, I have not had diarrhea. Truthfully, all I care about is that I feel well. I am at the point where I am not going to argue over if it makes sense - I am just glad I feel normal again

#362237 - 11/28/10 07:25 AM
Syl

Glad to hear the food combining diet worked for you for a few days so far.

As you have probably noticed food combining is the antithesis of the EFI diet promoted here. There are a number of IBS forums that discuss food combing which you might find more useful.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#362239 - 11/28/10 09:27 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Good for you, Catarific. Being a teacher with IBS must be tough, and I am glad you found something that works for you.

Many can throw all the science/research they want at you, but the bottom line is, does it work for you? Everyone is different, so one science does not fit all.

Don't waste your breath defending your choices. Just go with what works for you!

#362240 - 11/28/10 10:39 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Syl,
Why does it have to built on facts?

I know you like a scientific explanation...but sometimes,there just isn't one.

My theory about IBS is that...it's all in our heads.Yep I said it.Can I prove it?
No not really but the less I think about IBS the less it runs my life.
If you THINK what you are doing works,no matter what,and it does then to me that is success and I don't care what anyone says.Facts or not.

The fact is if it works,and you can live a normal life again then DO IT.

BTW EFI does work for me when I am having issues but my issues are all pointed directly at my stress level and my head.
I think there are some foods that effect your body no matter what but since we are all different,and our IBS stems from different things,everyone is going to find something that works for them.
I don't care what Doc proved what.

When they Find a "cure" for IBS...then I Will listen To the Docs and the facts.Us ordinary people just want something that works.
For the record,I read this book and it made no sense to me and I refused to try it but it obviously works for many.She keeps selling it.

Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#362241 - 11/28/10 11:11 AM
Syl

The digestive processes is quite well understood. It is the cause of IBS that is still unclear. Saying that starches should not be eaten with meat is like saying the world is flat not round. Experience and science tells us otherwise. Oh well - I guess it takes all kinds to make a world.

Quote:

My theory about IBS is that...it's all in our heads.Yep I said it

Do say it too loudly - it will cause a stir. Heather has been working hard along with many other knowledgeable people to lay this terrible myth to rest as witnessed by one the latest additions to the library Irritable Bowel Syndrome Is Not In Your Head . It is well established that IBS is not in your head - it has physical causes. It may be exacerbated by stress and the like but it definitely doesn't have a psychological cause.

With all the misinformation about IBS floating around we don't need to muddy the waters with diets that have been laid to rest by more knowledgeable individuals than us

--------------------

#362243 - 11/28/10 01:12 PM
catarific

Actually, many do believe there is a mind/body connection with IBS. I know that when I am really stressed my IBS symptoms will kick in - whereas when I am home on vacation and have less to worry about - my IBS is in check.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 533 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24495

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review