All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Great Taste No Pain Diet
      #362204 - 11/26/10 04:57 AM
catarific

Reged: 09/25/10
Loc: Florida, USA

I have had IBS-D since early September, undergone many tests and all came back negative. My gastroenterologist told me to be the detective and figure out what foods I could and could no longer eat. This all evolved after either a bout of food poisoning, a virus, or a reaction to a flu shot I had about two weeks prior to this onset. I have had IBS all my life but it was IBS-A and it was hardly ever a problem until September. I tried Heather's diet, to no avail. I could hardly eat anything without getting sick. Safe foods I ate in the past no longer worked. Gatoraid no longer worked. Rice, bread, noodles and apple sauce no longer worked. The only times I felt half way good was with protein. Someone from another forum asked if anyone tried the Great Taste No Pain Diet. She gave a link to a free 4 day menu plan download. I figured - what the heck - nothing else is working, I would give it a go....

I am on day 4 now - and believe it or not, no diarrhea or cramping of any kind. The foods I could no longer eat, I could now! - but in a different way.... The entire package for the diet costs about $40 dollars. So before I finally decide to make the investment, I did my research on this. This diet was basically created using a model originated by Dr. Herbert Shelton on food combining and I am going to share the principles with you. I truthfully never thought this could work - but it does and it is all based on the way you combine the foods you eat...

These are the basic principles of food combining one needs to adhere to:

1. Eat starches and acids at separate meals:
Acids neutralize the alkaline medium required for starch digestion and the result is indigestion and fermentation.

2. Eat carbohydrate foods and protein foods at separate meals:
Protein foods require an acid medium for digestion.

3. Eat only one kind of protein food at a meal:
Although every food contains some protein, those regarded as protein concentrated foods demands the longest digestive time. They are held in stomach for some hours until the gastric juices has performed its task. This may vary from 2 hrs to 6 hrs, depending upon the complexity of the protein in the food. If the protein food is mixed with starch-concentrated or sugar-concentrated foods, it usually results in fermentation. This may lead to indigestion & gas in stomach.

4. Eat proteins and acid foods at separate meals:
The acids of acid foods inhibit the secretion of the digestive acids required for protein digestion. Undigested proteins putrefy in bacterial decomposition and produces some potent poisons.

5. Eat proteins and fats at separate meals:
Some foods, especially nuts, are over 50% fat and require hours for digestion. Fat in foods inhibits the secretion of gastric juices through the small wall. Thus when fat-concentrated foods are taken with protein foods, gastric catabolism will decrease by the degree of lipid concentration in the stomach. Fat will remain undigested in the stomach until gastric juices complete their work on the complex protein molecules.

Although all primary protein foods contain high concentration of fat, such lipid will be held in suspension, awaiting catabolism in the intestine, without impeding gastric action.
Free fats like oil, butter & milk tends to coat the gastric mucosa, thereby inhibiting its effort to secrete gastric juice.

Fat surrounding the fried foods is also regarded as free fat & it interferes with gastric catabolism.

6. Eat proteins and sugars (fruits) at separate meals:
When ingested, all food are either acid or alkaline producers. Food comparatively rich in acid forming foods are generally high protein animal products. Whereas, fruits & vegetables are composed of alkaline forming elements. Consumption of proteins with fruits can interrupt the digestive processes of either or both types of food sugar and proteins consumed together can prove a dangerous combination

7. Eat starchy foods and sugars (fruits) at separate meals:
Fruits undergo no digestion in the stomach and are held up if eaten with foods which require digestion in the stomach. Any quick digesting foods - such as fruit - must wait until the slowest digesting foods leave the stomach before they can leave - a process which can take up to 6 or 8 hours. The starch splitting enzyme Ptyalin in the saliva plays an important role as the food is chewed.

It converts complex starch molecules into simpler sugars. Ptyalin requires neutral or slightly alkaline medium for proper functioning & this is the normal condition of the saliva in the mouth. However when acid foods are taken, the action of ptyalin is halted. It is therefore necessary, to avoid acid fruits in the same meal as sweet fruits or starches. Thus tomatoes should not be eaten with starches especially potato or bread.

Food Table
Proteins: Nuts, seeds, soyabeans, cheese, eggs, poultry, meat, fish, yogurt, milk.
Fats: Oils, butter, margarine.
Starches: Whole cereals, bread, pasta, grains, peas, beans, lentils.
Vegetables: Leafy green vegetables, sprouted seeds, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, green peas, celery, tomatoes, onions.
Sweet fruits: Bananas, figs, custard apples, all dried fruits, dates.
Sub-acid fruits: Grapes, pear, apples, peaches, apricots, plums, guavas, raspberries.
Acid fruits: Grapefruit, lemons, oranges, limes, pineapple, strawberries.

In a nutshell, starches, fats, green vegetables & sugars may be eaten together as they require either an alkaline or neutral medium for their digestion. Similarly, proteins and green vegetables may be taken together as they require an acid or neutral medium for their digestion. But starches & proteins, fats & proteins, protein & acid fruits, and starches & acid fruits should not be eaten together, if the best results are required from the ingestion of the food eaten.

How to Follow Diet:

1. Eat acids and starches at separate meals
Starch - cereal, grains, bread, pasta, carrots, peas, beans, potatoes, rice
Acids - citrus fruit, pineapple, strawberries, tomatoes

2. Eat proteins and carbohydrates at separate meals
Protein: Meat, Fish, poultry, cheese, eggs, yogurt, seeds
Starch: cereal, grains, bread, pasta, carrots, peas, beans, potatoes, rice

3. Eat only one protein per meal
Protein: Meat, fish, poultry, cheese, eggs, yogurt, seeds

4. Eat proteins and acid foods at separate meals
Acids: citrus fruit, pineapple, strawberries, tomatoes

5. Eat fats and proteins at separate meals
Fats: Oils, butter, margarine

6. Eat sugars (fruit) and starchy food at separate meals.
Fruit: Grapes, pears, peaches, apricots, plums, cherries, cranberries, bananas, dried fruit
Starch: cereal, grains, bread, pasta, carrots, peas, beans, potatoes, rice

7. Eat sugars (fruit) and protein at separate meals
Fruit: Grapes, pears, peaches, apricots, plums, cherries, cranberries, bananas, dried fruit

8. Eat melons alone - they do not combine with other foods.

9. Do not eat deserts.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Great Taste No Pain Diet new
      #362205 - 11/26/10 05:32 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I have the book if you are interested in it.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#362207 - 11/26/10 05:36 AM
catarific

Very much so!

#362219 - 11/26/10 11:06 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You may find this article on food combining of interest too. It give the history of how the idea began in the early 1900 and how it has subsequently has been dismissed with better understanding on how food is actually digested in the stomach.

Here is another article from two nutritionist at the University of UH-Manoa, Hawaii. And Dr. Stephen Barret at Quack Watch gives a detailed history of notion of food combining within the broader context of the theory of "Natural Hygiene". He says "Shelton taught that the following combinations are indigestible: "acids" and starches; proteins and starches; acids and proteins; fats and proteins; sugars and proteins; sugars and starches (note that Shelton classified sweet fruits as starches); melons and anything other than fresh fruit; and even two different proteins. Such pronouncements were debunked more than 70 years ago in both scientific and popular literature".

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362220 - 11/26/10 11:38 AM
catarific

I guess it is a matter of opinion. Please note the writer of the article is a PhD, not an M.D. from Quack Watch. I have been on the diet now for 4 days - and believe me when I say, this is the first time since September I have not had diarrhea since I started doing this.

Edited by catarific (11/26/10 11:39 AM)

#362222 - 11/26/10 12:11 PM
Syl

Not sure what point you are making about PhD vs MD.

Dr. Stephen Barrett is a well-known medical doctor and psychiatrist (M.D.) and co-founder of the National Council Against Health Fraud.

Dr. Herbert Shelton was a Doctor of Naturopathy (ND). He was also convicted many times of practicing without a medical licence.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#362223 - 11/26/10 12:25 PM
catarific

My point is my diarrhea has finally stopped - and I tried everything including going for numerous tests that all came out negative. Truth be told, the theory works and if you check the internet - food combinations can make a difference. Many use this approach because it has worked. Finally I found something that has worked for me too - and might for others. I really do not give a hoot about what this doctor did or didn't do - all I care about is not having IBS-D. Instead of being skeptical, why not try it out and see if this approach works for you. It might not - but then again, different people have to try different things that will work for them. I truly was skeptical and didn't think anything would work. Having ISB-D is a terrible thing - especially since I teach and am unable to leave the room when I feel an attack coming on. Now I no longer have that worry and I am very grateful for a way to live worry free. At least for now it is working - and I am glad for the respite.

Edited by catarific (11/26/10 12:43 PM)

#362224 - 11/26/10 12:49 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I am so happy that you have found something that works for you. Don't listen to the skeptics, trust your own body. Congrats on feeling better.

#362225 - 11/26/10 12:50 PM
Syl

It is great news to hear you D stopped. One couldn't ask for a better result.

It is possible that changing to the new diet reduced consumption of some things that are IBS triggers easily handled by established IBS dietary management approaches.

Have you had a fructose malabsorption breath test?

My D stopped shortly after I removed specific fruits, honey, agave, high fructose corn syrup, etc from my diet. I have IBS-D with fructose malabsorption.

The approach I used is the mix of the clinically tested FODMAP diet used to manage functional GI disorder symptoms such as those from IBS (see links in my signature) and Heather's EFI diet that has been used by thousands of IBS suffers. Fructose is managed using the FODMAP approach.

I am able to control my IBS-D quite well using the EFI and FODMAP diets. I hope you manage to keep yours under control too.

--------------------

#362226 - 11/26/10 12:51 PM
Gerikat

So glad this is working for you and thank you for sharing!

#362230 - 11/27/10 04:02 PM
dragonfly

Everyone is different,not everyone gets better on the EFI diet,though some think it is THE ONLY thing that works.
It's not,but it did for me and I recommend it to others all the time.I have talked to many who did not find help on EFI.
Great community here though so keep sharing.
If you are finding relief and good results than go for it.

Chris

--------------------

#362231 - 11/27/10 07:49 PM
Gerikat

Yep! Had to edit this since it dropped down to someone's post I did not agree with. I am saying "yep" to Dragonfly. Totally agree with you.

Edited by Gerikat (11/29/10 11:57 AM)

#362233 - 11/28/10 03:43 AM
catarific

Here is a much easier approach - model by Dr. Hay:

Starches and sugars should not be eaten with proteins and acid fruits at the same meal
Vegetables, salads and fruits (whether acid or sweet) if correctly combined, should form the major part of the diet
Proteins, starches and fats should be eaten in small quantities
Only whole grains and unprocessed starches should be used and all refined and processed foods should be eliminated from the diet
Not less than four hours between starch and protein meals
Milk does not combine well with food and should be kept to a minimum
Don't mix foods that fight, see below food lists:

List A
Proteins
All meat
All poultry
Cheese
Eggs
Fish
Soya Beans
Yoghurt

List B
Neutral Foods
Most vegetables
All salads
Seeds
Nuts
Herbs
Cream
Butter
Olive oil

List C
Starches
Biscuits
Bread
Cakes
Crackers
Oats
Pasta
Potatoes
Rice
Sugar/Honey
Sweets

Mix anything from List A with List B
Mix anything from List C with List B
Never mix List A and C!
Mix vegetables or salads with pulses i.e. beans/lentils - make these and unprocessed foods the main part of your diet

Fruits should be eaten separately and not mixed with any list. You can combine different fruits together such as a fruit salad but fruit should not be mixed with anything else.

#362235 - 11/28/10 04:33 AM
Syl

You are right some diets work better than others for some people. However, a credible diet for managing IBS has to built on facts about the human digestive system not fiction.

Shelton and later Hay's diets are derived on old, some would say ancient, physiological notions we now know are completely inaccurate. Our bodies just don't digest foods the way these people thought they did. The basic notions of the diet are completely incorrect from a physiological and medical point of view.

Here is an example "The acids of acid foods inhibit the secretion of the digestive acids required for protein digestion. Undigested proteins putrefy in bacterial decomposition and produces some potent poisons." Acids from foods don't affect very acidity enviroment in the stomach juices hardly at all. More importantly there is no bacterial decomposition in the stomach. The stomach releases protein-digesting enzymes and hydrochloric acid into the stomach that kills or inhibits bacteria and provides a very acidic pH for the enzymes to work. Also the notion that "acids neutralize the alkaline medium required for starch digestion and the result is indigestion and fermentation" is nonsense! The stomach juices (chime) is never ever alkaline -- the ph of the stomach is always kept very acidic between ph 1 and 2. The ph in the small intestine is very acidic too with a ph between 3 and 4. The ph of the stomach would have to rise to above 7 in order to be considered alkaline in which case the person wouldn't be dead. The basic physiological principles have to be correct before a diet can make sense! Anyone who paid attention in high school health and science would know the ideas this diet is based on are inaccurate.

--------------------

#362236 - 11/28/10 06:45 AM
catarific

Whether or not the explanations or correct or incorrect - the diet does work if you are experiencing diarrhea. When I went to my gastroenterologist, he explained that sometimes there are no answers - only detective work in finding out how you can eat and what your reaction will be to the food. He even said keeping food diaries do not always work because one day you might do well with a food and the next, the same food could cause you distress. You may or may not agree with the explanations that are given - but the outcome works. I am most usually a skeptic and never try anything at all that does not make sense. This did not make sense to me either. But I said - what do I have to lose - so I downloaded the 4 day plan and 5 days later, I have not had diarrhea. Truthfully, all I care about is that I feel well. I am at the point where I am not going to argue over if it makes sense - I am just glad I feel normal again

#362237 - 11/28/10 07:25 AM
Syl

Glad to hear the food combining diet worked for you for a few days so far.

As you have probably noticed food combining is the antithesis of the EFI diet promoted here. There are a number of IBS forums that discuss food combing which you might find more useful.

--------------------

#362239 - 11/28/10 09:27 AM
Gerikat

Good for you, Catarific. Being a teacher with IBS must be tough, and I am glad you found something that works for you.

Many can throw all the science/research they want at you, but the bottom line is, does it work for you? Everyone is different, so one science does not fit all.

Don't waste your breath defending your choices. Just go with what works for you!

#362240 - 11/28/10 10:39 AM
dragonfly

Syl,
Why does it have to built on facts?

I know you like a scientific explanation...but sometimes,there just isn't one.

My theory about IBS is that...it's all in our heads.Yep I said it.Can I prove it?
No not really but the less I think about IBS the less it runs my life.
If you THINK what you are doing works,no matter what,and it does then to me that is success and I don't care what anyone says.Facts or not.

The fact is if it works,and you can live a normal life again then DO IT.

BTW EFI does work for me when I am having issues but my issues are all pointed directly at my stress level and my head.
I think there are some foods that effect your body no matter what but since we are all different,and our IBS stems from different things,everyone is going to find something that works for them.
I don't care what Doc proved what.

When they Find a "cure" for IBS...then I Will listen To the Docs and the facts.Us ordinary people just want something that works.
For the record,I read this book and it made no sense to me and I refused to try it but it obviously works for many.She keeps selling it.

Chris

--------------------

#362241 - 11/28/10 11:11 AM
Syl

The digestive processes is quite well understood. It is the cause of IBS that is still unclear. Saying that starches should not be eaten with meat is like saying the world is flat not round. Experience and science tells us otherwise. Oh well - I guess it takes all kinds to make a world.

Quote:

My theory about IBS is that...it's all in our heads.Yep I said it

Do say it too loudly - it will cause a stir. Heather has been working hard along with many other knowledgeable people to lay this terrible myth to rest as witnessed by one the latest additions to the library Irritable Bowel Syndrome Is Not In Your Head . It is well established that IBS is not in your head - it has physical causes. It may be exacerbated by stress and the like but it definitely doesn't have a psychological cause.

With all the misinformation about IBS floating around we don't need to muddy the waters with diets that have been laid to rest by more knowledgeable individuals than us

--------------------

#362243 - 11/28/10 01:12 PM
catarific

Actually, many do believe there is a mind/body connection with IBS. I know that when I am really stressed my IBS symptoms will kick in - whereas when I am home on vacation and have less to worry about - my IBS is in check.

Dragonfly new
      #362249 - 11/28/10 04:55 PM
Gerikat

Love your post. I just posted somthing similar on the hypnosis board.

When I hear certain people go on and on, I tend to think/hear Charlie Brown's teacher. Whah,whah, whah, and then fade to black...mind is gone! teeheehee

By the way, if you want to stay well, stay away from doctors.

Catarific new
      #362250 - 11/28/10 05:01 PM
Gerikat

It is all about the mind. You stuff all the trauma from a lifetime somewhere in your body, we tend to stuff it in our bowels. That is not to say there are not physical symptoms, but you need to get to the root. Read my post on the hypno board of my expereince.

#362257 - 11/29/10 05:34 AM
dragonfly

So then why does hypnosis work Syl?

When you change the way you think,you end up being able to eat foods you couldn't before.How can that not be in your head?

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't eat meat with starches.
I'm saying that everyone is different and no matter how much research or articles you want to reference here,Catarific did not get better on the EFI.

What she is trying is working.Not always do we have to have scientific proof to believe.

To be honest,for every Doctor or expert that says one thing,there is another who disagrees.IMHO

Not arguing that there is evidence to suggest that "it has physical causes" but mine totally
comes from stress.To me IBS is a direct result to how stressed I am.It didn't start with any other cause.

My body has always dealt with stress by showing up inside.
That's ME and to say that nothing else but EFI is going to work is part of the reason so many have left this site.
So for you it has physical causes....for me stress..( in the form of my in laws.)..is my cause.

We won't ever completely agree but that doesn't make your opinion or mine wrong,just different.

Chris

--------------------

#362258 - 11/29/10 06:35 AM
Syl

Ah- ha - I was waiting for that question. After I read your post I turned to my wife and say I bet the next question she asks is about hypnosis and IBS

Hypnosis works for a lot of disorders not just IBS. Generally speaking you are learn to reframe the way you think about things you are feeling and sensing. Partially you are using your mind as a biofeed back mechanism. In other words it is a process of self-regulation. For example, hypnosis for arthritis or painful medical procedure such a tooth extraction you can learn to 'turn down the pain' just like changing the volume control on a radio. Arthritis isn't a disease of the mind. Clinical trials on burn patients show hypnosis can decrease pain and speed healing. Hypnosis isn't a cure - it is a powerful symptom management aid.

There is no question there is a mind-body connection in IBS as well as most medical conditions. Your mind is a powerful tool that you can use to manage extremely stressful and uncomfortable situations. However, the cause of IBS is not in your mind. The cause(s) appears to be physical organic disorders in the way the second brain in the gut processes information in the GI tract and communicates that information to the brain in your head. About 30% or IBS patients experienced the start of the disorder after having a GI infection. In about 50-60% of these individuals the IBS symptoms disappear within 5 years. Unfortunately for the rest they have IBS for the rest of their lives. In this case the viral infection is considered to the causal agent.

I don't doubt that Catarific notice great improvement when she change to the food combining diet. This doesn't mean that the diet itself is based on proper notions. It likely means that she removed major GI stimulants in from her current diet when she switched to the food combining diet. This effect likely would have occurred had she used proven IBS management dietary approaches such as the EFI or FODMAP diet. It would be more useful to identify the triggers and remove them from her normal diet.

I don't recall Catarific saying the EFI diet did not work for her. At least I did see it in any of her 12 posts. However, I did notice she drank apple juice which even Heather suggests that is not a good idea because of its high excess fructose content. This alone can cause D even in normal individuals. Maybe she will enlighten us more.

You are absolutely right. Stress shows up on the inside of ones body and it can seriously exacerbate IBS symptoms as well as the symptoms from many other medical disorders. The human mind is powerful. It affects every part of our body. However, it does not cause disorders like IBS but it definitely can affect the way you feel its affects. However, stress does not cause IBS but it sure can make the symptoms more problematic.

Have you tried gut directed hypnosis?

--------------------

#362259 - 11/29/10 07:20 AM
dragonfly

I know IBS isn't technically IN your brain.
Tell me then where would someone "get" iBS if they didn't have an infection.You note 30% started this way.

I did do the hypnosis.I found out of everything,it worked the best.
I have to say though,I drink apple juice with no problems.I lived on it for a longtime to keep my IBS from flaring so again,different people.
Perhaps apple juice is a trigger for some, not for me.I have been able to eat just about anything but as soon as things get stressful in my Life,IBS rears its ugly head.
If I don't think about it,I am usually OK.

It doesn't matter if this new diet is based on proper notions.If she is eating well,and doing well.Isn't that what Matters?

--------------------

#362262 - 11/29/10 07:58 AM
Syl

You asked "where would someone "get" iBS if they didn't have an infection". This is the million dollar question. There are indications that a genetic component maybe at play too. We will have to wait and see. The research in this area is moving rapidly at the moment. It might not be too long before we have some answers.

There are instances were constituents of foods from one group require consumption of constituents of foods from another group at the same time in order for some foods to be digested efficiently. Not sure a diet that is does not take these facts into account can be healthy in the long term. In the short term it likely doesn't matter. More importantly, the food combining diet is not aligned with known and proven dietary principles for managing IBS. That in itself is not good at least for individuals with IBS.

Anyway - we have covered this topic thoroughly now. On to the next weird topic that will surely show up on the boards shortly

--------------------

Dragonfly, why waste your time? new
      #362265 - 11/29/10 12:00 PM
Gerikat

Didn't you know it's all about FODMAPs and fructose and of course, as always, the Quack watch link?

Now now Gerikat - play nice - nt - new
      #362266 - 11/29/10 12:46 PM
Syl

--------------------

Catarific new
      #362269 - 11/29/10 03:29 PM
Gerikat

If you haven't left the boards already and can answer this, I would be interested to know if you consume any animal products at all? Just curious what kind of protein you consume. Also, do you suffer from any kind of heartburn/GERD? Thanks.

Re: Dragonfly, why waste your time? new
      #362270 - 11/29/10 05:06 PM
dragonfly

I don't consider talking to SYL a waste of time.He has alot of good info.Even if we don't always agree on things.That is why people should come here AND keep doing their own research elsewhere.

Syl's experience and advice has helped so many people,even if you weren't among them.

We are all here to find help and offer our experiences.Getting hostile never solves anything.Debate is good until people get too defensive.

Always better yourself with knowledge and a smile
Hope you are doing well.

Chris

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24485

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review