All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS - Different for Different People
      #362142 - 11/21/10 04:17 PM
catarific

Reged: 09/25/10
Loc: Florida, USA

I have had IBS for years - but after a viral infection or food poisoning - it has changed drastically. Now I know that different people experience different reactions to certain foods - so I must add that when this all came about, I came to this site and followed all the information to the tee - but and a BIG but - I got sicker and sicker instead of getting better.

Come to find out - many IBSer's CANNOT eat the foods that are recommended from Eating for IBS nor from the information that is here. Many IBSer's have BIG trouble digesting starch, high fructose and grains (not just wheat) but ALL grains. Because this happens - many of the safe foods that are listed are not safe at all - not for all types of IBS. I think it would be very, very helpful if somehow this information were revised so that those who are suffering from IBS should know there are various different foods one should eat when dealing with IBS.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS - Different for Different People new
      #362183 - 11/24/10 07:08 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Are you following a particular diet now to help you feel better? What works for some, may not work for all. Do what you need to do to feel better. No book, diet, or prescription is a "one size fits all". I can't eat too many grains or sugar before I feel "off". I do best by limiting as many processed, higher carb foods as I can, and eat from a variety of veggies, lower sugar fruits, meat/fish/poultry, and yeast-free millet bread.

#362195 - 11/25/10 10:50 AM
catarific

I started doing the Great Taste No Pain plan - started yesterday and so far, so good. It seems that some of the foods I cannot tolerate, I can with this plan. This diet mainly separates proteins from carbs with a waiting period in between. It seems that I can tolerate foods I thought I could not if I do not eat them in combination with other types of food. For example, I can now eat bread as long as I do not eat the bread in combination with protein. If I wait for another meal, at that time, I can eat the protein but making sure it is without the carbs. If I want some carbs in the afternoon, I would wait about 3 hours after having had protein for lunch, and then as an afternoon snack, have some carbs. It is intriguing. I never thought this could work - but it seems it does. I could not eat lettuce. When I did, I had terrible pain and diarrhea. But, I did have a tuna salad with lettuce on this type of plan for lunch and I was fine as long as I did not have it in combination with a starchy, carbohydrate food (bread).

Me too new
      #362198 - 11/25/10 03:14 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi catarific! And welcome to the boards!

I don't follow Heather's diet either-- it's way too permissive for me. Most people here eat a variation on the diet, and it's individual feat for each person.

Many of us eat stricter than Heather's diet, especially D-ers, because there's way too much IF (Insoluble Fiber) in hers.

For instance I have "pain pre-dominant IBS-D" which means that the oatmeal Heather touts as being on a list of "safe" foods, literally turns me inside out. If I have a morning dose of oatmeal with water (or as I call it, OUTmeal ) I will have explosive D between 4-20 times that morning with painful trapped gas, and give myself an anal prolapse by mid-afternoon. Safe? Not quite!

Everybody's IBS is different. Isn't that just trite and horrible?? Doctors have their signals crossed, and we really have to turn to each other for guidance and support.

But for the diet itself?

Yeah, it's really just all trial and error. Unfortunately.

Don't let anyone tell you they're the authority. You know YOUR IBS better than anybody. Anyone that tells you something works for EVERYTHING, is selling you something.

Keep in mind 2 things: 1.) TRY EVERYTHING. You never know if something you can tolerate is right there in front of you! Ditch the fruits and vegs if your stomach can't take it that day, and pick up a piece of sourdough soluble fiber bread.

Drink warm water with lunch instead of ice water (cold makes stomach cramps with trapped gas, cramps kickstart an attack...) . Have you tried drinking warm/lukewarm water instead of cold yet? There are lots of good suggestions on these boards from the kind, helpful good people who've been through it!!

And, most importantly,: 2.) WHATEVER WORKS. Do five Altoid peppermints crunched and munched up at once with a swig of warm water make your stomach spasms disappear after a steak dinner? Write it down in your food diary and do it again!!

Both sugar and peppermints are natural anti-spasmodics, like Donnatal. Find what works for YOU and let us know all about it! We're on the same journey, you and us!

I'm sending much love and good wishes your way for this tricky eating season!!! Good luck to you, and welcome again!

~nelly~

Re: Me too new
      #362206 - 11/26/10 05:34 AM
catarific

Hi Nelly and thanks for the welcome

You are right, everyone's IBS is so radicially different! For instance, I cannot stomach peppermint - I tried the tea - and pain galore! I know some IBSers cannot tolerate artificial sweetners - but I use Splenda in my decaffinated tea and have no problems. I tried herbal teas - but they did not work for me. Good old Lipton decaf finally is my choice of drink but oohh how I do miss coffee (even decaf). Everything I read and heard said that coffee is not good for digestion - so am staying away from it.

Please read the post on the Great Taste No Pain diet plan and see if that may help you. It has to do with the way you combine your food. I finally stopped having diarrhea - now I have been constipated for a few days - but you know what - I am NOT complaining - it is a nice break

Edited by catarific (11/26/10 05:44 AM)

#362382 - 12/06/10 09:26 AM
oscem

Reged: 12/06/10

I started Heathers plan over a year ago and for quite awhile I was doing very well. But now I am plagued by terrible flatulence that is ruining my life. Please can anyone tell me what might cause this. I avoid all the usual suspects - cruciferous veggies, beans, lentils, red meat, dairy, wheat, dried fruits. Any ideas??

#362386 - 12/07/10 04:09 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome back

You might get more responses if you asked your question on the IBS diet board. Thank you for tell us what you don't eat. It would be helpful if you could tell us what meals and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. Also, are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362401 - 12/08/10 08:24 AM
oscem

Reged: 12/06/10

What is IBS- A?
When I first got it I had both. Now I have that fairly well undercontrol except that sometimes I don't evacuate fully and then get leakage. I no longer have cramping but at first I would be on the floor after every meal. My biggest problem now is flatulence. I stick to a limited diet. Oatmeal, stir fry rice and veggies, chicken, tuna and salmon, decaf or green tea, rice crackers, rice muffins made with rice milk, sugar, egg, baking powder. That's about it.
Any suggestions will be welcomed. I will try the diet board, thanks.

#362402 - 12/08/10 09:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

IBS-A is alternating between C and D.

Do you peel the veggies and cook them until very soft when you stir fry them? Do the rice crackers contain brown rice?

Many people cannot drink decaf tea or coffee. Green tea contains caffiene which is a serious GI stimulant.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Kim new
      #362408 - 12/08/10 01:25 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Can you tell me what brand of millet bread you buy?

Re: Kim new
      #362410 - 12/08/10 07:30 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

"Sami's Bakery"- local bakery here in town. I buy it at a nutrition/health food store.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 468 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10934

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review