All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Shoulder update
      #361644 - 10/22/10 05:18 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I'm starting to get frustrated, but I'm hanging in. I'm still on "holidays" with no definite return to work date. Maybe December...

I finally got the results from my shoulder MRI at the orthopaedic surgeon's yesterday.

Good news - no tears in the muscle or ligaments = no surgery

Bad news - don't really know what is wrong for sure. But my surgeon agrees with my physio that it is most likely a brachial plexus injury. The brachial plexus is the group of nerves that run from the spine to the hand, controlling all points in between. I also tend to agree with the physio as my pain is intermittent, hard to replicate and can be started with zero activity and burns like a son of a gun! And just as suddenly, it can disappear. My fine motor skills also make it flare up.

The ortho requested 2 more MRIs before I even attempt to go back to work. And while we wait for them and their results I'm going to start "work-hardening" at physio. Basically performing tasks I would do at work. To start with, grip. I have a ball of silly putty which I get to squeeze in a number of hand positions up to 5 times a day, if I can tolerate the pain. I'm working at it.

I'm frustrated that I can't go back to work yet and that I will have to jump through some hoops now to get my long-term disability to kick in. Lots of paperwork (which took like 4 days to fill out!) and visits to my family dr. for copies of my medical records etc. But I know I cannot go back to work until this is better. No point in injuring myself further just to have a full paycheque.

(Heavy sigh)
Thanks to everyone for your continued support.
HUGS!!!!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Shoulder update new
      #361654 - 10/23/10 08:06 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Oh Toady,That sucks!
What do you do at work?
I hope things start to look up for you.
Hang in there chicky poo!
(((((hugs))))))
Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#361656 - 10/23/10 08:18 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hang in there. I'll be thinking of you.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#361666 - 10/23/10 04:11 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I'm so sorry. That really is awful. Jumping from one source of pain to another! Hang in there. We're all here for you. Hugs to you!!! ~~~~

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#361842 - 11/02/10 01:21 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

{{{{{{{{{{HUUUGS (avoiding the shoulder!)}}}}}}}}

I am so happy for you that the surgery that was supposed to be performed went off well!! I bet a messed up shoulder is nowhere on brain surgery post-care instructions! I'm just glad you didn't have any other extras!

Ugh, adulthood is fraught with forms!! And mystery shoulder pain!! Isn't it the truth that you go in for one surgery and then they BREAK you in the manner you least suspect. I'm keeping a camera going in my next surgery, I'll tell you what.

It's going to catch the point when they release the monkeys and chase them around the room with the three stooges carrying heavy nets. The bruises and additional injuries I've mysteriously suffered coming out of surgeries are insane. In my last surgery on my back, they handed me my front teeth in a jar in the recovery room. (!!!) Seems they broke them out while they were intubating me!

Or, TRYING to intubate me as I see it, with an intern, an axe handle with a claw hammer and some dancing bears, more likely!! I wath not pleezthed! *SIGH*

I have a lovely back scar and $3500 worth of lovely NOT COVERED dental work as a fond memory of the experience.

~nelly~ (*grumble* Wish I had a videotape and a lawyer instead... *grumble*)

#361894 - 11/04/10 03:06 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hey Ladies!

Chris - I work as a legal assistant. Lots of typing, writing and administrative stuff like copying and filing. All not great for a bad shoulder... Work hardening is proving that! I keep trying, but I'm not up to the four hours a day that my physio wants... I get too sore after a couple hours... Yet I persevere.

Nelly - I remember your tooth incident when you had your surgery. How aweful! I woke up with a fat lip from the intubation tube... couldn't eat for 5 days it was so swollen and split! On top of having terrible hospital food! Completely inedible. My first meal was the night we left the hospital - and it was Red Lobster leftovers We did have a camera! Before and after surgery shots were taken, but my hubby was really nice and didn't take a picture of my swollen face. And being in Canada, suing a doctor is nearly impossible. So even if the surgeon injured my shoulder during my surgery, I can't sue him! Not that I have the money to do that either!

Lauren and Portageegal - thanks ladies!! I can always use cyber hugs and well wishes

I had my neck MRI last week and my brain MRI is on Sunday. Then I have to wait to see the surgeon on November 30th. So, even if I get cleared to go back to work, it won't be until the 6th of December... Yeah, my bosses aren't ecstatic about it... but I still have my job. I sent away all of my long term disability forms too and now I'm waiting for someone from there to contact me. Unfortunately it could take up to 8 weeks for them to make a decision. Guess I won't be doing any Christmas shopping...

Hope you are all well!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 492 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8339

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review