All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The Specific Carbohydrate Diet
      #361010 - 09/19/10 05:38 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Has anyone tried this diet? I'm better not eating gluten, but still have symptoms (D that comes and goes, pinching pain in the abdomen that comes and goes for weeks, gas and rumbly tummy). Whatever I try I get better for awhile, then the symptoms come back. I wouldn't be surprised if the bacteria is out of whack, so this diet made sense. Any thoughts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The Specific Carbohydrate Diet new
      #361020 - 09/20/10 06:56 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There is little if any clinical research to support the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). You might find the article on the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation web site titled The Specific Carbohydrate Diet: Does It Work? of value. The SCD is based on old notions.

For a more up to date diet that restricts specific carbohydrates based on sound physiology principles that has been clinically tested on a variety of functional GI disorders including IBS check out this brief article The FODMAPs Approach — Minimize Consumption of Fermentable Carbs to Manage Functional Gut Disorder Symptoms .

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361024 - 09/20/10 09:40 AM
Digby

Thanks Syl! This is very helpful. I was leery of the dairy and fruit component to The Specific Carbohydrate Diet. And without any grains, I get fatigued.

The no-no foods listed on the FODMAP approach are bothersome to me! I tend to get gas or rumbly tummy or D if I eat them, and couldn't figure out why. Although bananas are listed as okay to eat, I had one this morning, with almond butter, and had real problems. Wonder why.

#361026 - 09/20/10 09:47 AM
Syl

Perhaps it was the almond butter -- it is high in fat.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#361034 - 09/20/10 12:35 PM
Digby

I looked at two different sources on the internet for FODMAP safe foods, and one of them has oranges as okay, the other says they aren't safe. Where do I get correct information?

#361040 - 09/20/10 03:11 PM
Syl

Citrus fruits in general are okay. So generally speaking oranges are okay because typically they contain equal amounts of glucose and fructose. However, this can change depending on variety and growing conditions, sometimes they may contain a bit more fructose than glucose, especially orange juice. This can present a problem for individuals who cannot tolerate fructose in excess of glucose even in small amounts. It is something you will have to figure out for yourself. Other citrus fruits such as grapefruit, lemon, lime, etc are just fine. However, don't forget to use Heather's rule about having a good SF base with high IF foods such as citrus fruits.

--------------------

#361094 - 09/24/10 06:34 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Some people have been helped by the SCD- no guarantees, I guess. Probably have to experiment with it. If you don't get better on the other diet(s) you try, eventually may be worth a look? Don't expect immediate results. I think people don't give changes they make enough time and they decide to call it quits before valid results can be determined. I do better eliminating yeast and reducing processed foods, especially processed or refined sugar.

#361095 - 09/24/10 06:46 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I totally agree with you Kim. Most don't give changes enough time to work, or they try too many things at once, so they do not know what is working and what is not.

I have heard good things about this diet. When I cut down on the white products and sugar in my diet, I saw an immediate improvement, along with the hypno tapes. It has taken time, but I have found that too many carbs does not work for me.

Love your input on the boards!

#361799 - 10/31/10 05:10 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

I think Syl is off base.
I think the SCD diet might work if you follow PLUS add in your own food intolerances be it dairy or whatever.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7750

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review