All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Crowns anyone?
      #359095 - 06/06/10 02:31 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

If anyone out there has had a crown done, can you share your experience with me? Did you find it very uncomfortable eating with the temporary crown, until the permanent crown came in? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Crowns anyone? new
      #359126 - 06/08/10 06:32 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Hi Geri,

I have not had a crown but I have had a cap put on my front tooth. If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago) you do have to be careful eating. I only had to wait a week for the permanant cap to be ready though so it wasn't too bad.

I had a root canal on a molar 2 years ago and I need to have a crown done but I have been putting it off. I wish you luck with your crown. I would be interested to hear about your experience when you are done.

--------------------
Janey

ahh the joys new
      #359127 - 06/08/10 06:38 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

of the dentist. Every time I go to min he makes remarks about my Scottish dental work and tries to get me to go to the orthodontist. As far as I can gather this would involve both a brace (screw that people I'm thirty) and parting with a lot of hard earned cash.

At least we've reached a agreement on the dental damn. He won't make me wear it and I won't freak out.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Re: ahh the joys new
      #359129 - 06/08/10 06:50 AM
Janey

I hate that dental dam. It makes me feel like I can't breath. Right now I have a tooth that is sensative to cold and I finally broke down and made an appointment to see my dentist this week. The sensative tooth is right next to the tooth I had a root canal on 2 years ago.

When I was in 3rd grade I chipped my front tooth. When I was ten I had to have a root canal and I still remember how horrible it was. I could feel everything he was doing but I never said a word to the dentist (I don't know why). I just thought that was the way it was supposed to feel. When I had to have my next root canal in 2007 I was in a panic and had to take a Valium before I went for the prodecure. I made it through fine and didn't feel a thing.

I still dread going to the dentist though and I know lots of people that feel the same way.

--------------------
Janey

#359142 - 06/08/10 07:42 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

The resident expert of dental work and dental experiences is here!
There isn't much I haven't had done - impacted wisdom teeth, removed then dry sockets... multiple extractions due to infection (cellulitis) in my face that settled in my mouth - braces, tooth coming in roof of my mouth - retainer to re-route other teeth. Then - in the last few years they have discovered it's like an autoimmune illness causing my saliva to make tiny, pin-point erosions/cavities on my teeth and they have done so many fillings, they cannot continue to do that, so they have started putting crowns on every tooth I have - so far I have 5 and by the end of summer should have all crowned plus partials to replace molars that had to be removed due to the infection.
I had a root canal, post and crown, then 2 years later, had to have it all removed b'c infection somehow got under the crown... during the extraction, he broke the post off, and that caused me to hemorrhage?? - and stop the procedure... that was the scariest.
However, crowns themselves are no problems and minimally uncomfortable. They know I panic and take Xanax before I come, plus due to my anxiety my pulse rate is rapid, so they give me pain medicine that is short-acting and have to keep repeating. But, they only used a dam one time and have done all the other crowns with out it. Actually the impressions were the worst this time - thought I would choke!
One piece of advice, make sure you go back and get your permanent crown as soon as they tell you. I waited one time and by the time I went in for it, more decay from the immune system issue and they had to extract the tooth instead.
My dentist wants to do implants, but 1) the cost is a deterrant to me, and 2) due to the yeast/infection problems, I don't think it's a good idea.
This seems to be the only solution - not even dentures for me due to the immune problem and the yeast that comes and goes.
So, just tell your dentist your concerns. If he/she won't work with you and try to calm any anxiety - find another dentist!
I hate to go and sometimes sit in the chair shaking, but overall it is never as bad as I anticipate.
Good Luck! ~ Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#359159 - 06/09/10 07:21 AM
Janey

Oh my Dorothy - I can't believe that you have had such a difficult time with your mouth and teeth. I am so sorry that you have had to go through all of that. No wonder you shake when you get in the dentist chair. You definitely quality as a dental expert!

--------------------
Janey

Thanks! new
      #359183 - 06/09/10 05:57 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Thanks to all of you gals. I really appreciate your imput. And Gaga, OMG, what can I say? Compared to what you have gone through, I think I can deal with this temp crown a little longer. Oh jeez, you poor soul!

Re: Crowns anyone? new
      #373088 - 09/29/16 02:48 AM
Dr_Peter_Nguyen

Reged: 09/29/16

This question has an interesting historical perspective that I will briefly review to allow better understanding of my answer. The original "root form" implants used many years ago were intended for multiple tooth replacements, with the implants connected by a metal framework supporting a resin denture base, and with resin teeth in the denture base, a so-called "hybrid denture." Using current terminology, we could identify that type of prosthesis as "all on six" as compared to the currently popular "all on four" concept.

--------------------
My passion for modern dentistry combined with my talent in the fine arts is what allows me to deliver beautiful lasting smiles. Dr. Peter found Genuine Dental in Newport Beach, CA 92663 and practicing from last 9 years.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8102

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review