All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Been a very long time!
      #358391 - 05/05/10 07:54 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I used to post here a number of years ago. Just popping in to say hello. I'm happy to report that one reason I stopped posting here was because I am feeling great!

I have pretty much recovered (symptom-free) by following another diet. So, I just didn't feel right posting here, although I have lurked a bit in the background. If anyone wants to keep up with my adventures, I have been writing a blog (http://scdkatfood.blogspot.com) detailing my journey to new found health.

I hope everyone here is doing well. I'll probably stick around a bit today and catch up on some posts.

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Been a very long time! new
      #358394 - 05/05/10 09:48 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Good to see you. I'm so glad you found what worked for you.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#358413 - 05/05/10 02:50 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hi Kat! I took a look at your blog to see what had helped you and I was not surprised. You are not the first person to mention that particular diet and the improvement in symptoms.

#358414 - 05/05/10 03:06 PM
K2

Thanks Sand, nice to *see* you too I have always loved your quote in your signature, it's so true.

--------------------
Kat

#358415 - 05/05/10 03:10 PM
K2

Hi! Yeah a few people have tried it out and found it worked like I have. It's nice to finally feel well. I'm actually hoping to do some schooling and become a Nutritional Consultant, hoping to help more people get better. Everyone deserves to feel good and be healthy!

--------------------
Kat

#358433 - 05/05/10 07:55 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Kim, I just read your blog.
Very interesting, and good for you.
Although I wonder if SCD would work for me, since I have C and B not D.
I also do not think I could handle many of the legals "like cheese".

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358448 - 05/06/10 07:29 AM
K2

My bloating went away day 1 on the SCD. Many people with C have found relief as well.

There's a site here with some advice:
http://pecanbread.com/new/coprotocol.htm

I started the diet straight from Heather's and did not consume any dairy at first (I was pretty terrified of dairy actually!). I don't believe the dairy is necessary and I would also not suggest cheese to anyone with C.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me kat.garson@gmail.com. I don't feel very comfortable posting stuff here about that diet.

There's also a Yahoo Group that is like a message board for SCD http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BTVC-SCD/ You can get a lot of feedback from others who have dealt with C and ask any questions you might have about the diet.

--------------------
Kat

#358462 - 05/06/10 09:42 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Good to see you here. Glad to hear you're healthy. I'm pretty stable as well. Things are good. You look great.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#358748 - 05/18/10 09:43 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi Kat, good to hear you're doing great! I wasn't really active here back when you were posting but I remember you!

It's interesting to me that you were able to get rid of bloating in one day on the diet. I tried it for about 2wks a while ago but unfortunately it made me worse and eventually I felt so miserable I had to quit . I really wish there was one approach for all of us.

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#359099 - 06/06/10 07:22 PM
K2

Hi Zara, Luckily for me the intro diet worked exactly for me. As I added nuts and stuff I noticed problems but have figured out through trial and error a bit what works for me.

I'm not familiar with C at all, only time I would get any hint of C is from using too much Imodium. I know a lot of people with C and bloating as their main symptoms who got better on the diet. I'm trying to gather some tips and info from them to post on my site soon.

Sorry it didn't work for you, I hope you're feeling better now. Bloating is such a difficult/frustrating symptom to track the source of!

--------------------
Kat

The about you section on your blog says .. new
      #359125 - 06/08/10 06:30 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

.. you have celiac's disease and not IBS. So I have to wander if Zara ended up doing badly because a gluten intolerence isn't the problem but the usual IBS triggers which are discussed on this website.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Re: The about you section on your blog says .. new
      #359223 - 06/10/10 07:04 PM
K2

Yep that's quite possible, although you can do the diet I'm on while still following Heather's EFI diet and avoiding all triggers. Before fully going on my current diet, I started by cutting out grains and that helped a lot. I used sweet potato, potato, squash, well cooked carrots, applesauce, pearsauce and banana as my SF bases, small amounts of IF, and good protein choices like chicken breast, turkey breast, white fish and shrimp. I used mainly olive oil in my cooking and made lots of homemade chicken soup (skinned the fat off the top). No IBS triggers and I gave myself a chance to see that I did better without grains.

While I do have Celiac's disease, the blood test I had for it was negative. So according to my GI I don't have it (he refused to do any more testing). My family doctor is 99.99% sure I have it. I don't have a lot of faith in the diagnostic methods and would suggest anyone with digestive problems at least try cutting gluten out for a trial period. I have seen so many people do better off grains, I would say it's worth a try as well. There are certainly lots of different SF choices on Heather's diet.

--------------------
Kat

#359230 - 06/11/10 07:42 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

That's terrible that the GI will tell you that. I have 4 friends that have Celiac disease and they all had negative blood tests. But it was obvious with Endoscopy. From what they've said, those blood tests are pretty inaccurate so the fact that the GI would just go off that info is pretty ridiculous.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#359336 - 06/17/10 12:56 PM
K2

Yeah it was pretty ridiculous. I had to beg to get that Celiac blood test. I begged them for more tests before going gluten-free, knowing that I'd probably never be able to do them in the future. They refused. I was put on a waiting list for another GI and in the meantime went gluten-free. By the time I saw the next one, who probably would have agreed to more testing, I wasn't willing to eat gluten again. It really took me until just recently to fully believe I had Celiac and not a gluten-intolerance or IBS.

One good thing to come of it though, after going gluten-free didn't fix all my symptoms, I just kept searching until I figured out what worked for me. I think if I had been given the label Celiac I might have stalled at the gluten-free diet for a while wondering why I wasn't getting better.

Interesting you know 4 people with negative blood tests. I didn't know anyone except myself. Lately I've know a few friends having the blood test done and stopping at that when they get a negative result. I'll be sure to let them know, might be worthwhile for them to have a scope/biopsy done while they're eating tons of gluten still.

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 231 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10418

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review