All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
We need some help from any cat people out there ...
      #356844 - 03/19/10 05:59 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

We rescued a female tabby cat. She is 1.5 years old, weighs 7.7 lbs, and has been in a 4x4x5 cage for the majority of the last year. She has only been out for minutes to a few hours each week.

She desperately loves to be under the couch, or a bed and shies away from human touch, but purrs and will cuddle for a few minutes until she has to go back and hide.

It's like she has forgotten what it's like to be loved.

Besides talking to her, and trying to play with her and petting her I'm looking for a magical solution to bring the "kitty cat" back out of her.

Any ideas?

She's heartbreaker…

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: We need some help from any cat people out there ... new
      #356845 - 03/19/10 06:33 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Double J,

What a kind thing to do. She sounds so sweet. I rescued a ferrell cat that hung out at the school where I worked. I found the best thing was to be patient and show her love and kindness when she wanted it. I didn't try to force my attention on her. Eventually she came out of her shell and realized that we were not going to hurt her. She became a wonderful pet.

Good luck!

--------------------
Janey

#356863 - 03/20/10 01:40 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

What a fantastic thing to do! That poor, poor cat. I don't know her and I already feel sorry for her.

As someone who spent quite a few years fostering sick and abused cats, as well as having three of my own, I've seen plenty of "scaredy cats". Do you have a room in your house, or maybe part of a room, that she can call her own? Give her a warm bed to sleep in, boxes to hide in, a window perch to look outside.... she just needs time. If you are patient and gentle, she will eventually come around. Promise! I once fostered a cat who hid under our guest bed for well over a month before finally venturing out when I was in the room.

I would also recommend using something called Feliway. They can be pricey, but you can buy outlet adapters for it, kinda like a plug-in air freshener. Feliway contains feline phermones, and it is extremely calming to a stressed out cat. I've used it extensively with my foster cats. You might also try catnip, either in toys or just loose leaf stuff sprinkled on the floor. That can really bring cats out of their shell!

Good luck, and please keep me posted!!! I sure do miss my days of fostering...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#356865 - 03/20/10 03:05 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Time for sure...my mom just "adopted " abarn cat that decided it wanted to live inside.

It hid under the couch and came out only to eat and that was a month or so ago...now it actually lets you pick it up and cuddle.

I am sure your kitty will come around to.
Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Janey, Lisa Marie, & Dragonfly ... new
      #356985 - 03/25/10 11:04 AM
Double J

Thank you all for responding.

"Miss Tabby", as my wife has named her, is still very skittish, and shy. We did buy some catnip mice and she batted them back out from under our bed where she has taken up most of her daytime residency. It has become a game for us.

At times we find Miss Tabby curled up under the quilt on the bed which is just fine. Occasionally she will venture through the house and join us for a time in the living room.

At night she will come out from under the bed and I will find her curled up with my wife on her side. Miss Tabby will follow my wife to the bathroom and wait for her in the threshold of the door. Then follow her back to bed.

And whenever my sweetheart lies down Miss Tabby is there for a nap.

Isn't that just too cool? My sweetheart has a new friend!

Miss Tabby is still a little leery of me … but so are our neighbors!

Thank you again for your input.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Double J new
      #356986 - 03/25/10 11:20 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I am so excited for you and your wife. It sounds like Miss Tabby is coming along and that she is going to be a wonderful, loving companion for your wife. I am sure she will get used to you and will realize that you are no threat to her. It will just take a little more time and patience on your part.

Congratulations!

--------------------
Janey

Re: Janey, Lisa Marie, & Dragonfly ... new
      #356995 - 03/25/10 08:20 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

It sounds like she is doing wonderfully!!! And your poor wife will never EVER be allowed to go to the bathroom alone ever again.... I've had a constant audience with that for 9 years - which is when we adopted our first kitty!!! I always say to them, "how would YOU like me to stare at you while you're using the litterbox???" It doesn't seem to phase them much.

Best of luck to you, it sounds like you've got a sweet, affectionate lap cat on your hands! You should post a picture - I never get tired of looking at cute kitties!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Lisa Marie ... new
      #356998 - 03/25/10 08:59 PM
Double J

I would post her picture, but I can't copy and paste it.

--------------------

Re: Janey, Lisa Marie, & Dragonfly ... new
      #357001 - 03/26/10 05:29 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

awwww..

I had a cat for 11 years that slept at the end of my bed or right between my hubby and I every night.The only night he missed was when he went missing and I knew something was wrong.

I now have a cat that insists on being in the bathroom with me too.If I shut the door she paws at it til I open it.
Kinda a pain but it's fun leaving her out and playing under the door with her too.

Enjoy the " baby" they all have such different personalities and boy oh boy!

Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Update on Miss Tabby. new
      #370059 - 08/26/13 09:09 PM
Double J

She is turning into an old cat. You can till that her early years were hard on her. She loves to play with her toys and after three years will play with me, and take treats out of my hand. She will sit on my sweethearts lap and allow me to brush her, but not touch. I'm careful about removing my belt where she can see … pulling my belt loose frightens her, and she will hide in the basement for hours.

I thought that we rescued her… but she brings out the best in us.

--------------------

Re: not sure where to post this. new
      #370065 - 08/27/13 11:18 AM
layotte25

Reged: 08/27/13

Hi, i am new to the site and am not sure where to post my question. I recently purchased Heather's peppermint tea and so far i really like it. However i notice a few hours after drinking it, if my stomach doesn't have a lot of food in it that I have a sort of burning feeling in the intestinal region. it is not painful at all i can just feel it. Has this happened to anyone? does this mean that my body does not like the tea? it has been a saving grace for me since I started drinking it and i would hate to have to stop. thanks!

#370431 - 10/12/13 03:12 AM
Prakhar

Reged: 10/11/13

Cat is my favorite pet. I like her shiny hairs and the soft ears. They are really very cute.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 560 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13715

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review