All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
at home observing my kitten
      #356718 - 03/15/10 09:28 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My 10 month old kitten is one of those with issues -he licks, chews, eats, sucks, stuff he shouldn't. We try to be so careful about what is left out for him to get but he finds stuff anyway. He chewed on an elastic exercise band last night and was sick this morning. I took him to the vet and he gave him a 50/50 chance of passing it or needing surgery. He has come around some so hopefully the pieces are small and are moving along. I found one he threw up this morning that was very large.
I think I would be very careful next time I want to bring home a kitten that was an orphan. They have a much higher incidence of "woolsucking" and eating things they shouldn't.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: at home observing my kitten new
      #356719 - 03/15/10 09:37 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I am so sorry to hear this, poor little guy. I hope everything is going to be ok LM and your kitty passes the band without having to have surgery.

Kittens can be very funny when they have been taken away from their mothers too young or they didn't have good mothers.

Let us know how he is doing.

--------------------
Janey

#356733 - 03/15/10 05:21 PM
Little Minnie

Thanks Janey. He is feeling better but I don't think he has pooped yet. He has eaten a lot; he may be pooping right now.
My four year old cat ate a 18 inch ribbon when he was a kitten and passed it in tact the next day. Hairball medicine is just fiber and it helps them pass stuff.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#356739 - 03/16/10 07:53 AM
Janey

How's your kitty doing today? I hope he has pooped everything out and is doing well.

--------------------
Janey

#356743 - 03/16/10 10:37 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Quote:

Hairball medicine is just fiber and it helps them pass stuff.

Mineral oil works for this, too. I keep it on hand for one of mine who tends to get constipated and barfy.

I had one kitten who had been separated early and whenever you held him, he would snuggle into your neck and "nurse" (my mother had one that did the same thing, except the crook of the elbow was her go-to spot). It was cute when he was little, but when he grew up (and he got quite big) he just left a big stinky drool spot.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#356750 - 03/16/10 02:56 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Hehe, I have one that does this too. I stayed home sick today (stupid allergies!!) and all three of my cats napped with me. It was a nice break with no husband or kid around!!!

LM, how's your kitty doing?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#356754 - 03/16/10 07:21 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hope kitty is ok..I have one that eats those styrofoam darts.she poops outside but boy I was freaked when I saw orange stuff in her puke one day.She seems fine and I throw the darts away if I find them on the floor.

Whats your kittens name?Girl or boy?

I have another one that likes to lick too.They say its them excepting you as a part of their family...they are grooming you but I can only visualize them licking other parts too......

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#356825 - 03/19/10 10:11 AM
Little Minnie

Good tip.
Scout is fine. Turns out he must have puked up most of the rubber since I never found any in his poop. He has been digging out and destroying everything in our crawl space. You wouldn't believe what this kitten gets into. He found my old tack box from when I trained horses and has pulled everything out of it. We found these little rubber bands all over and couldn't figure out where they came from then suddenly I realized they were mane bands. Since then he has pulled everything out of the tack box, curry mits, brushes, etc.
I just want to fast forward a year so he will be out of the kitten stage. I didn't want another kitten but instead a cat, hub said no cat, but a kitten. When I saw his picture on a store board I had to have him. He is classic tabby and white but he has a funny face with a big nose and little pink mouth. I can't seem to get a photo to work on this forum...

--------------------

Edited by Little Minnie (03/19/10 10:13 AM)

kitteh ate a rubber band now new
      #359277 - 06/14/10 05:25 PM
Little Minnie

My husband was playing with the kitty and he swallowed a rubber band before he could take it away. Now we are waiting for him to throw it up. He is sleeping. Hub tried gagging him right afterward but it didn't work.

--------------------

Re: kitteh ate a rubber band now new
      #359283 - 06/15/10 06:19 AM
Janey

What happened? Did your kitty throw the rubber band up or did it come out the other end? I hope your little kitty is going to be ok. Did you have to wait up to make sure the rubber band came out?

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 452 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6254

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review