All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
To those thinking of leaving
      #355798 - 02/14/10 09:59 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I was just awakened by my screaming neighbors and now I can't get back to sleep because I'm feeling queasy and anxious. I miss the days on this board when I knew I could post something like this and find a friend on the board in the middle of the night - or at least knew I'd wake up to msgs from concerned friends.

There have been many of you who posted deeply personal things on this board including in response to my posts, which have helped me immensely. Also, the humor of many on the boards has kept me going.

Now with the recent drama on this board so many of the people whose input I've valued are saying they're going to leave. I've been here much less myself. I've been on this board (though largely as a "lurker") since it began, and this certainly isn't the first time there have been squabbles and conflicts.

my thought is that we all might take the advice that many others have given. IGNORE posts from people who are bringing you down! We can try to work it out and show people why their behavior is hurtful. THere have been some admirable posts recently in that regard. But if they're not getting anywhere, after a certain point, why not just ignore posters who bring your blood pressure up. We can co-exist relatively peacefully on this board like in real life. I don't expect to like or to want to converse with everyone who lives in my building, my neighborhood, works at my job etc. There are certain people who I just am happier to let walk by without engaging them in conversation.

This is not an attack on any one person - I'd be fine if everyone reading this email tries practicing this. Also the truth is, I"m pretty sure people have practiced this technique with me and I'm fine with that! For a while I really used this board to vent, and my posts were very similar for months and months with no real growth or change shown on my part. I know some people simply stopped responding, and others expressed support. That was actually ok with me. I needed a place to air those feelings, for a time and I understood why some people dropped off from commenting.

Ok, so I think you all are stuck with me a while longer!!! - my two cents.
I'm open to all comments, but for those fanning the flames - don't be surprised if I don't respond!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

From one insomniac to another... new
      #355799 - 02/14/10 10:06 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Great post, Hawkeye, and great advice.

I hope the rest of your night is peaceful.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: From one insomniac to another... new
      #355803 - 02/14/10 10:17 PM
hawkeye

Thanks Sand,

I've been up an hour now - my gut is calming down a little, but I show no signs of falling back asleep. hopefully soon!

--------------------

Re: From one insomniac to another... new
      #355804 - 02/14/10 11:03 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm off to bed and - I hope - to sleep.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I can't sleep either ... new
      #355805 - 02/14/10 11:49 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

My youngest son just dropped by with work and friend problems … I am grateful that he comes home to talk.

Thank you for the post. Your two cents make me rich.

It's nice to be stuck with you.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

3am finally going to bed! -nt new
      #355806 - 02/15/10 12:01 AM
hawkeye

--------------------

Hope you've all slept new
      #355812 - 02/15/10 07:28 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Wonderful post Hawk. While I don't anticipate leaving I go through periods of lurking vs posting. I'll continue to hang out. And if I don't like a post I do ignore it.

I was able to sleep and hour here and there last night but I was awake at least a dozen times. Blah! All this and insomnia too!

I'm happy to say I have found good friends here on the board and I would miss them if they were gone for good.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

I didn't sleep either new
      #355850 - 02/15/10 03:59 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I finally went to bed about 3:15. I should have gotten on line and we could have all chatted.

Here's to a better nights sleep tonight!

--------------------
Janey

Hawkeye new
      #355851 - 02/15/10 04:05 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I am sorry that you were awaken by your neighbors last night. I hate when that happens. The nights where I sleep a little and something wakes me up usually end up being the worst nights sleep. It is almost like I have had a power nap and then my mind won't shut down so I can go back to sleep.

I feel if we all work hard we can bring the boards back to the way they should be.

Take care and I hope you sleep tonight!

--------------------
Janey

Re: To those thinking of leaving new
      #355861 - 02/15/10 07:56 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Great post, Hawkeye. I was just thinking to myself that these boards have changed SO much in the last few years. I hate to say it, but I'm grateful I started when I did, and got the support I needed when I needed it. The energy on these boards these days.... oy. I miss the old days. I guess that's why I tend to hang out in the Living Room more and more. I'm glad you are sticking around, I always enjoy your posts!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

EBBS AND TIDES OF THE BOARD new
      #355918 - 02/17/10 05:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was thinking back to a few other big fights that happened here in the past. One when I started was about smoking. It got heated and someone got mad at me for denouncing smoking even though it is IBS unsafe. I recall other ados over the years. I new group of posters tends to bring on new dynamics that don't always mesh, but I don't think the boards are above and beyond unfriendly right now. I notice bad attitudes, and not always who you might think with the bad attitudes.
I think things will calm down. No reason to get underwear in a bundle. I hope no one chooses to leave forever!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355933 - 02/18/10 04:41 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hey Hawkeye,
Your post was really great. I go back and forth about the boards, but a lot of that has to do with me getting stable. Now that I feel OK, I don't "need" the boards in the same way I used to! I just had a moment reading a post on the Diet boards where I was reminded of how sick I was. It helped to give advice and that's what the board is all about!
Anyway, I just really have such respect and admiration for all of you that were there for me when I had such a rough time. I've been on these boards for years, even though I didn't post much. It was such a comfort knowing I could talk about anything and everything here with supportive people to listen! Thanks for the reminder of what the boards mean to me!
Aly

--------------------
IBS-A

#355935 - 02/18/10 06:21 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Hawkeye -
I have not been on this board in a very long time. I don't know what all has been ging on, but if you have found in the past that the people here have given you hope and encouragement then I really don't think you should leave

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Re: fancymom new
      #355938 - 02/18/10 08:03 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey fancymom nice to see you around here again.

the Boards seem to cycle with new people joining all the time and sure enough...we don't all get along.

I joined a couple years ago and there were moments then when it got heated too..i come and go but boy do I miss all my IBS friends from back then!

How have you been doing??

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#355962 - 02/18/10 03:47 PM
fancymom

Hey dragonfly!!
I have been doing "ok" thanks for asking!! How are YOU?

I have been struggling with gluten intolerance. At least, I THINK it's gluten intolerance, but ezekiel bread still doesn't bother me, so I am now beginning to think it's yeast that is exacerbating all my nasty symptoms. Also, I just gave up sugar for 2 weeks. I felt awesome, but MAN that was sooooo HARD. I never realized how addicted to sugar I am!! It's pathetic. I thought about it 24/7.

Great to hear from you! Glad your still here. Are you doing ok?

--------------------
FancyMom

#355977 - 02/19/10 05:32 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Glad you are doing ok I hope that changes to a great!

I could never give up sugar.OMG that would just KILL me!!

Did you find that it helped you?

Have you been tested for gluten intolerance?

My symptoms aren't that bad anymore.I have learned that my IBS is related to my stress level.Not the everyday stresses but emotional stress from stupid people ticking me off!When I ignore them...I'm fine!! Yay!!

Other than that.Everything is ok too.

Nice to see you around again!
Take care!
Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#355983 - 02/19/10 11:42 AM
fancymom

I hope that changes to a great soon too!! If we could sell our house, it would instantly be a GREAT!! HA!

I definitely think my IBS is stress related too. I have not been tested for celiac, or a gluten sensitivity - but I KNOW I have it!! I had some regular bread yesterday, and hadn't had ANY gluten for about 5 months and was feeling awesome. About 30min after I ate it, I got a raging headache, and my abdominal cramps started up. I have been MISERABLE ever since!! I can NOT get my tummy to calm down! That's the last time I do that!

I'm sure I'll see ya around here...Take care dragonfly

--------------------
FancyMom

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8514

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review