All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: I've never had one new
      #355762 - 02/13/10 05:01 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

People with classic IBS do not have any more chance of colon cancer before 50 or so than someone without it. For classic IBS issues, with a family history of such, there is no reason to do a colonoscopy. For those without IBS in the family, who are older, who don't have perfect IBS symptoms, who have a family history of young cancer or other problems, or whose digestive troubles start suddenly, a colonoscopy is a must.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I've never had one new
      #355763 - 02/13/10 05:11 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I am not speaking of colon cancer, per my post. I am very happy that I had it done, to rule out other issues.

I am also not speaking about "need or reason", or being mandatory. I am talking about choice, and I am glad I had the opportunity to have it done. To each his own.

Re: I didn't have one until I turned 50 -nt- new
      #355775 - 02/14/10 05:38 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Due to the increasing use of evidence based medicine there is likely to be a decrease in the use of colonoscopy particularly when it comes to diagnosing IBS. The new Rome III guidelines for diagnosing IBS don't require a colonoscopy particularly in individuals under 50 years.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#355776 - 02/14/10 06:41 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Yes, you are right when it comes to IBS and for the reason you gave. But there are other reasons that the traditional colonoscopy will decrease in usage:

1. The advent of the virtual colonoscopy which still requires preparation (laxatives). The colon is the filled with air and a cat scan or mri images the colon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_colonoscopy

2. An Israeli company - Given Imaging (Nasdaq: GIVN) has been successfully making and selling a device/procedure called capsule endoscopy which images the small intestine. The patient swallows a small pill like camera which transmits images to a device on a belt worn on the waist. They are now making and selling a device/procedure called capsule colonoscopy which images the colon in a similar manner. Again, this requires preparation (laxatives).

http://capsuleny.com/colonoscopy.html

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#355778 - 02/14/10 06:53 AM
Gerikat

Hey Capricorn, I find this very interesting. What you are saying here makes it sound like it may be a bit easier in the future, even though still involving laxatives. I am going to check out the links.

I have to say though, traditional or not, I am still happy that I was able to have it done. It gave me peace of mind. Maybe others would not choose that route, but it was right for me.

#355779 - 02/14/10 07:29 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

These will never replace the need for regular colonoscopy. If a pollup is imaged, a regular colonoscopy will still be required to remove it (regular colonoscopy has a tool built on the cable to do this).

I had the capsule endoscopy done twice and it worked like a charm both times. It has (or should) completely eliminate the crude procedure known as "upper gi series" which I also had and which is a nightmare!

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#355781 - 02/14/10 07:36 AM
Gerikat

Yeah, you are right. You would still have to go in to remove anything suspicious or possibly to biopsy an area. I like the fact that you do not have to be put under with these. But, if you can see what you need to see and be less invasive, then I am all for it.

Any improvements to less invasive in any test...I am all for it.

Re: This is NOT a laughing matter... new
      #355884 - 02/16/10 05:18 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Wow I had no idea this would spawn this much attention to my butt! I mean tailbone! First of all Windchimes thank you for your kind words. You are right it is some of the worst pain ever and I appreciate your insight and advice. I have however learned to be a bit humorous about it since it keeps my spirits up. You have to have humor when you talk about your bottom end whether it be the IBS or the coccyx. I did not take offense reading through all of this, however this does reaffirm my reason as to why I don't post much on these boards anymore. Too much drama and not enough support for each other anymore. So sad because these boards use to be a wonderful place full of friendships and great advice.

Angela new
      #355889 - 02/16/10 07:10 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I know exactly what you are saying about finding the humor in things. I always say I have to laugh to keep from crying.

All laughing aside, I also have tailbone pain and it is definitely painful. Kind of hard to avoid sitting. I have never seen a doc for it because I have never wanted to expose my bottom half, I know that is probably silly but I worked for Ortho docs for a couple of years and I figured there wasn't a whole lot they could do.

I do miss you around here. Hopefully you will pop back in more often.

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 132 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41206

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review