All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Favorite Holiday Things
      #353378 - 12/20/09 06:29 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Alright, we had people responding to favorite movies earlier this fall, let's try our favorite holiday things. Christmas or Chanukah or which ever winter holiday you may celebrate.

Holiday Movie: White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye

Song: Carol of the Bells or O Holy Night

Holiday Drink: So Nice Festive Nog

Cookie or Treat: Nanaimo Bars (not IBS safe!)

Food: Grandma's sweet and sour purple cabbage (similar to the red cabbage recipe in Heather's book)

Tradition: baking Christmas stollen (fruit bread) with my grandma and mum every year to give out at Christmas dinner

Let's see how many reply!! Happy Holidays everyone!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Favorite Holiday Things new
      #353380 - 12/21/09 08:20 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Well, Toady... I can think of a couple!

Christmas eve was always spent at Grandma's house many moons ago. She baked fruitcake loaves in the early fall, loaded with chopped dried fruits and nuts (obviously not IBS safe!). She then wrapped the loaves in flour sac tea towels soaked in brandy and stowed the fruitcake loaves away in one of her dining room buffet drawers. As a young child, I just loved to open that drawer and sniff the good smell exuding from those loaves of fruit cake in great anticipation of Christmas eve!

Grandma was of Danish / Swedish origin (deceased Grandpa had been Norweigan) and she made Lutefisk for the adults to eat, that being my father and his four siblings and their spouses. While the 11 adults indulged themselves in this smelly horrific looking meal served with lots of fresh drawn butter, us 8 grandchildren dined in the kitchen on Grandma's wonderful homemade meatballs, mashed potatoes and gravy... greasy (though delicious), not IBS safe! We loved her meatballs!

What great memories of decades gone by...

I'll never forget what Grandma's laundry tub in the basement for weeks before Christmas while she was soaking the cod in a lye bath and changing the water daily. This grossed me out! I was the oldest of the 8 grandchildren and Grandma lived near me. I would often stop by her house on the way home from school. She always offered me a glass of milk and some gingersnaps...

Definition of Lutefisk:

A traditional Scandinavian dish prepared by soaking air-dried cod in a lye solution for several weeks before skinning, boning, and boiling it, a process that gives the dish its characteristic gelatinous consistency.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Relaxing and eating -nt- new
      #353381 - 12/21/09 08:32 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353386 - 12/21/09 10:09 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Oh wow, too many to name. Our one tradition is a big family breakfast every year, with extended family. That is more fun than dinner together. All the presents, all the food, all the kids, all the fun...love it! Sometimes we have dinner together too, but that breakfast is very special.

I always watch the original version of A Christmas Carol, with Alastair Simm, my all-time favorite version. Nothing else can compare...got to have me some Scrooge at Christmas.

After dinner, it's game time. We all bring board games, card games, and play till the wee hours of the morning.

Usually Christmas Eve is pretty much spent as individual family units, but Christmas Day, all chaos breaks loose. I usually spend Christmas Eve with Mom and Dad and bake cookies.

The last thing on my mind is IBS. I don't even think about it. I eat whatever I want, and do just fine!

#353388 - 12/21/09 11:06 AM

Unregistered

for me it's a day off work and I can relax, then get chores done. I cannot travel so it's my mom(doesn't go with my dad and sister for personal reasons) and I stuck at home while my dad and sister and dad leave town to my aunt's house with all the food and everyone there. I'm still happy though,I just love days off work and being able to read and watch tv,cook,get things done.

#353405 - 12/21/09 07:34 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Movie...A Christmas Story.the boys in that movie are little replicas of my boys.Its so funny.
We also love national Lampoons Christmas Vacation.
Christmas Eve we watch a movie and open an early present(new pj's).

No favourite song but Grandma Got Run over By A Reindeer is funny and I always smile.

Rum and coke...apple pie...chicken and mashed potatoes.
Having fun watching the kids open presents and playing the new video games with them are all fun too.

Not much sappy here I'm afraid.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#353406 - 12/22/09 08:08 AM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

Candle lit Christmas Eve Service
Christmas morning watching my 2 girls open their gifts
Biscuit and gravy brunch at my parent's house

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4012

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review