All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Arg, lost my job
      #353080 - 12/08/09 12:45 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

So after applying in May and being hired in September, after 10 weeks I lost my job as a meeting planner, subcontractor to the gov't, because the primary contractor took back all the hours from the sub. 5 of us were hired at the same time and 2 of us (me and one other) got the axe yday.

SO annoyed! I just filed for unemployment benefits online today because the phone number they listed for Maryland was OVERLOADED. Booooo.

I haven't posted for a while... Too bad I have to post something bad! I'm so lucky BF and I fixed the TV over the weekend...! The TV wouldn't turn on, so BF researched the problem over the Internet, and we were able to buy 2 capacitors for $1.29 each, pop the set over, and replace the fried ones. Looks like a lot of flat screens are having this problem after a year or so (just as the warranty is expired), but we were able to fix it together over a snowy Saturday for less than four dollars!! Lucky for me-- I am watching a lot of tv, trying to find stories without people fired from their jobs!!

{{{HUGS}}} to all, and extra {{{{{{HUUGS}}}}}} to my old friends I haven't seen in a while!!!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Arg, lost my job new
      #353086 - 12/08/09 08:46 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Been wondering what happened to you!

{ { { Hugs } } } to you Nelly! That sucks! Your tv story reminded me of my weekend - I tried fixing my ipod following a website which shows you how to pop out the hard drive (mine is broken) and pop in a compact flash card. I did it but it doesn't work. Or at least not yet, I haven't given up hope that I'll figure it out this weekend..
Good luck with the job thing. Its pretty rough right now for a lot of people. I'm working, but MANY more hours per week to make the same money I was making 2 years ago. Maybe you should start writing a book. I think you have it in you. Not kidding!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#353095 - 12/09/09 03:56 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey, thanks, Hawkeye! Nice to see your smiling face! Catch me up-- what's new?

I hear you, but every time I think about writing a book I get quickly overwhelmed. I have to get over that, I suspect. Maybe something SO outrageous will happen that I will finally be pushed over the edge and compelled to write it all down!! But my limit for the absurd has expanded to such a point that it will have to be something freakishly unbelievable...! Or maybe it'll just be something that happens this week... Who knows?

~nelly~

#353128 - 12/10/09 03:35 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Nelly,

You were supposed to be on an upswing, this is a downer!!! I'm sorry you lost your job. That is terrible and not only because it's the holidays but also because I know how hard you tried to find it! I hope that now that this door is closed, somewhere someone will open a better one for you - and soon!

Great news about the tv though!! We have done the same thing - Radio Shack for a resister and we're back in business. Then the old tv blew up and we decided it was a little unsafe to keep using it. So our bunny ears (antennae) are hooked up to our 52" plasma. We get a whole 4 channels!! 2 regular, 1 like PBS that's so blurry you can't watch it and 1 in French! Yeah, we watch a lot of movies!!

Best of the season and hopes for the job search!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#353185 - 12/13/09 08:44 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Hey Nelly,

How are you doing a few days later? Its good to have you back on the board even if its for an f'ed reason. I'm doing okay - ibs is worse this month after a lot of pretty good months in a row. I've been under a ton of stress - we're planning a move, and I've got some huge family issues going on with parents, I'm working, but I'm working a lot more to make the same money I used to. So its all adding up to too much stress lately and spending many hours in the bathroom. On the positive side, I've finished a lot of crossword puzzles.... If a book isn't in your imminent future, maybe you could go into TV repair with your new found skills. I know its so hard right now to job hunt, but I hope something comes along really quickly this time.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2919

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review