All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
how to deal with heartburn/acid reflux ?
      #353015 - 12/04/09 08:29 PM

Unregistered

don't think pepcid ac is ibs safe or is healthy..I want to go the natural way..my throat is burning my stomach is and lots of gas like balls of gas that move too. What are safe foods that will help? I drink lots of fennel,take slippery elm capsules,align,brith control,and pepermint capsules. why is it so bad I think heathers winter squash and white bean soup,PUREED in the blender even is seems to make it worse? is it the seasonings or wat? ahh,please what do I do to relive this?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how to deal with heartburn/acid reflux ? new
      #353024 - 12/05/09 09:20 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

The thing that majorly relieved my heartburn is taking a supplement that contains licorice root, marshmallow root, aloe vera, and slippery elm. I take it twice a day, 20 minutes before eating. It took about 3 weeks before I felt relief, but it's worth it. This is the supplement I take.

Licorice root tea and ginger chews or tea are also helpful for more instant heartburn relief.

#353028 - 12/05/09 11:07 AM

Unregistered

where can I buy it and how much is it? it says to login if you are a health care professional..also I already take slippery elm capsules,and I thought aloe vera was really bad for ibs?

#353031 - 12/05/09 11:45 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Frygirl, Dr. Oz was recommending Slippery Elm for something the other day, but I don't remember what it was. Maybe I will Google his show and find out.

#353033 - 12/05/09 12:29 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Well as a pre-teen and into the early teens, my mother used to put a simple tsp. of baking soda into a glass with about 4 oz of water. This did the trick!

I really had this acid reflux pretty bad at that time, burned like crazy coming up, and I would show my mother that ugly orangy-looking acid in a napkin soon after dinner.

The baking soda seemingly worked for me, though I haven't had that type of response to meals in decades. You might just give this a try before you spend a lot of money on 'pills'. Baking soda is about 50 cents for a box of it. I seriously doubt such could hurt you at all. It seemingly neutralizes the excess acid in the stomach.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#353036 - 12/05/09 01:00 PM

Unregistered

well I'll be looking into acid reflux more..off topic but why do I get such bad cravings on my period for dairy,chocolate,and red meat? I also get more hungry that time.

#353053 - 12/06/09 06:29 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Hi again,

Dairy and red meat are high in protein (and also fat), and you may be craving more protein during this time. Chocolate is a natural anti-depressant (also high in fat), and you may also be feeling depressed around this time. When the body prepares for a possible pregnancy, it wants to store up reserves to nourish the fetus (conception) that might prove to be forthcoming. Taking birth control pills prevents conception, yet it does not change a woman's physiolocial make-up when it comes to the natural course of the menstrual cycle. I don't really have scientific answers, though these are my thoughts based on experience.

Chocolate soy or rice milk can satisfy the chocolate cravings, absent the offending fat that IBSers suffer from eating or drinking dairy fat. Use cocoa (safe) in recipes that call for chocolate (unsafe).

As I understand it, this board (The Living Room) is for anything NOT health related. You might get more responses if you moved your questions to the appropriate board and left this one for general life issues and/or sharing fun stuff... i.e. in general, a break from focusing on health issues. No offense intended.

My best to you!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 395 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5342

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review