All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any seniors on this board?
      #353010 - 12/04/09 04:59 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I'm wondering if there are other seniors on this or other boards? We have not only health issues to manage, but also financial limitations for a lot of things that others seemingly take for granted. Some days I feel really discouraged or defeated around it all, even though I do my very best to take everything in my stride.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

That would depend on how you define "senior" ... *DELETED* new
      #353012 - 12/04/09 05:51 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Post deleted by Double J

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Edited by Double J (12/04/09 11:16 PM)

Re: Any seniors on this board? new
      #353018 - 12/05/09 06:05 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I turned 62 Monday. I guess that qualifies me. I'm on SSDI and get Mass Health (Massachusetts health care program).I'd be unable to buy my meds if I wasn't on disability.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: That would depend on how you define "senior" ... new
      #353020 - 12/05/09 07:27 AM
Windchimes

I was referring to any 'retired' person living on a fixed and limited income... i.e. your first definition:

"Senior as in somebody of advanced years ... somebody of retirement age or beyond or more advanced in age."

--------------------

Re: Any seniors on this board? new
      #353021 - 12/05/09 07:55 AM
Windchimes

Hi Carol,

I went on disability in 1992 and my income became 'fixed' at that point in time by Social Security. At age 65, I began to also receive a small pension from my employer, though that only basically covers my secondary medical insurance to help defray what Medicare doesn't pay.

I'm finding it difficult to purchase many of the grocery items that would benefit controlling my IBS-D, as by the time I pay the mortgage and utilities there is not much left for food! I am not married (divorced 23 years), and now a 'young at heart' age 67.

While we have a food bank in this county of California, rarely do they have much of anything to offer that is IBS safe beyond rice, beans, and potatoes. Those I can purchase reasonably priced closer to my home than traveling to the food bank and burning a lot of fuel in my car. I'm pretty much at the mercy of the health food store or Raley's... both of which charge an arm and a leg for specialty foods that are of benefit to an IBS-D sufferer, and these places are 30 minutes away at that. As a consequence, I am not really eating enough food presently to stay well nourished.

I hope you are doing well and have found a way to meet your nutritional needs on a disability income. You didn't mention whether or not you are married thereby having some financial relief from a husband. If so, that's VERY helpful.

--------------------

Carol new
      #353040 - 12/05/09 03:44 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

It is nice to see you. How are you doing?

--------------------
Janey

Addendum to my post - Increasing Income? new
      #353048 - 12/06/09 05:26 AM
Windchimes

The reason why I am looking to connect with other seniors on fixed and limited incomes, is to get their input on how I might increase my income some by working at home on some marketable craft or other idea. There must be something I can do along this way that I would enjoy and at the same time provide a little additional income towards better nutrition.

So far, it doesn't look like we have many senior citizens on the message boards other than myself and Carol. Even so, perhaps someone has some ideas for me to ponder and seriously consider. Where there is a will, there is a way!

--------------------

Re: Addendum to my post - Increasing Income? new
      #353049 - 12/06/09 05:44 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I can think of at least one more senior but he doesn't post very often. I'm 37, so I have a ways to go yet!

What are your strengths and skills you already have? Perhaps starting there might give you ideas for a business/additional income. I mean, as a starting point for brainstorming.

You might also see if your local area agency on aging has resources for you. You're in California, if I recall. Here's a link to the offices in the state: California Area Agencies on Aging

Thank you for the info! -nt- new
      #353051 - 12/06/09 06:02 AM
Windchimes

--------------------

Re: Carol new
      #353165 - 12/11/09 04:41 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi. I pop in once in a while. How are you doing?
I'm doing okay. May have to have surgery again. I have a hernia on my abdomen. I'm falling apart. LOL

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2923 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4893

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review