All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Family predispositions... new
      #352773 - 11/27/09 11:16 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is a believed there is a genetic component to a variety of mental disorders such as anxiety, depression and schizophrenia.

Everyone's genetic make up is 99.9% the same. It is the 0.1% difference that produces the problems It possible but not necessary that you brother may have similar physical reactions. On the other hand he may not experience any GI symptoms at all.

While anxiety may be occur frequently with GI issues there is no evidence that it is the cause. It could be possible that both have similar underlying causes.

It is all very complicated and not really worth the effort looking for a cause. It is really worth the effort to seek out good IBS symptom management approaches.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#352775 - 11/27/09 11:23 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

No, IBS is not a 'mental illness' per se. It is a 'brain-gut' reaction to earlier family (or outside) dysfunctions and stressors.

Mental illnesses are an actual disease of the brain, though it's possible even those came from family dysfunction in origin as opposed to actual genetic pre-disposition.

I really don't have all of the answers, though I'm getting the 'gist' of it all from Dr. Sarno's book 'The Divided Mind'. So much of our lives are run by the subconscious past experiences, and there is not as much available to us in the conscious mind even if we have a good memory.

I wish I could offer you more, but at this time I really can't. It's simply my take based on my own experience(s) and what I am presently reading.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#352776 - 11/27/09 11:25 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Quote:

It is all very complicated and not really worth the effort looking for a cause. It is really worth the effort to seek out good IBS symptom management approaches.

While generally I do agree with you on this.You could search forever and never know what caused your IBS where others can clearly state yes this is when it started.

I do think though that we need to understand what triggers or sets our IBS off.
If we can't figure that out or at least try to figure out,then we will always be battling our symptoms regardless of what we do or don't eat.

Its like the criminal that gets out of jail and goes back to the old neighbourhood.He is most likely to be a repeat offender.Put into a new situation things may turn out differently.
with IBS if we continually make the same mistakes,our IBS will control our lives don't you think?

IMHO

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#352777 - 11/27/09 11:32 AM
Syl

I agree - finding and removing dietary and environmental triggers is the best management approach. This requires a fair amount of discipline to be successful or else IBS will run your life.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

This is true! new
      #352780 - 11/27/09 11:55 AM
Windchimes

While it might be true that we do not need to know every precise trauma that contributed to our reactions to stress and some foods.

I'm going to use a metaphor here.

What if certain foods were served at a dinner that ended up traumatic and violent? Do we notice that when we eat these foods cooked the same way, we get knots in our stomach and symptoms of IBS? Yes, this could be an unconscious reaction to an earlier trauma, plain and simple.

Our past can benefit from healing forgiveness to the offender. In addition, we can learn to cook differently and not like Mama used to cook the same foods. We can take Heather's acacia powder and peppermint tea to help control the reactions physically that are warring with our subconscious mind that has stored things of the past around many things, some unpleasant.

I believe IBS to be psychosomatic in nature, and also believe it can be controlled with some dietary changes and food choices, as well as ways of preparing them. I don't use my mother's old recipe box any more, as I can see that they are not only high in fat they bring subconscious reactions to things I didn't remember before into my conscious mind readily, after attacking my gut. Yet when I really think about it I actually CAN bring things into my conscious so that they can heal and not haunt me today in my gut.

Education brings personal power over the quality of one's life!

--------------------

#352781 - 11/27/09 11:56 AM
Syl

Hmmm - not sure IBS is a 'brain-gut' reaction to earlier family (or outside) dysfunctions and stressors.

It might be more accurate to say that IBS, except IBS subtype PI-IBS, is a 'brain-gut' disorder with unknown origins that may be precipitate or exacerbated by family (or outside) dysfunction and stressors. The physical origin of PI-IBS (post infectious IBS) is known to be a bacterial GI infection that affects the 'brain-gut' communication in an unknown manner.

--------------------

Edited by Syl (11/27/09 12:44 PM)

#352782 - 11/27/09 12:02 PM
Windchimes

Syl,

With all due respect here, my origins of my condition are KNOWN! I have so much improved once I acknowledged these, forgave, and went on doing what I personally need to do to make necessary changes in my life. This also included preparing food differently and using Healther's products that are good for people even if they do not have IBS.

We do not have to agree, we can simply agree to disagree.

--------------------

Re: Reading... new
      #352783 - 11/27/09 12:30 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yeah, it's useless to banter back and forth. We know what we know to be true to our lives, and no one can understand your own personal journey. I refuse to give research too much attention. My life is my research. Some tend to bury their traumas, I chose to use mine.

"Evolve Your Brain" is a huge book. I may have to renew it from the library. I love to read on the brain, the sub-conscious, etc.

Yes, I agree with you about the experts. They haven't been of much help to me.

Stay warm! It's rather chilly here today, too.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 448 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12488

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review