All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: I feel there is merit in what you say here... new
      #352760 - 11/27/09 09:33 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Thanks so much Windchimes for understanding where I am coming from. To me, I can only understand cause and effect. It has always been the "why" ?? something happens. That is why I searched out alternative means, because I felt Western medicine just treated the effects/symptoms. They never got to the root or cause. I cannot wrap my brain around any other reasoning.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Subconscious reactions to earlier profound trauma(s) new
      #352761 - 11/27/09 09:51 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Gerikat,

There is so much stored in our subconscious minds, and the older we get, the more so! Physical reactions are reactions even if not stemming from our conscious mind, our guts will react. I believe this to be a fact. I really don't care what the so-called 'experts' say, I KNOW 'experientially', and so do YOU!

Take care and have a good day!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: A trigger is different that a cause new
      #352763 - 11/27/09 10:03 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Gerikat - I am not tell you what did or did not cause your IBS. I am only say that there is no evidence in the IBS research literature that abuse is anything more than a participating factor in individuals with a likely predisposition.

Hopefully you will find away to manage your symptoms and live a full and happy life

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#352764 - 11/27/09 10:08 AM
Gerikat

Sorry Syl, my "evidence" is my life. I don't need the scientific literature to back up anything for me. I speak of the abuse not because I love sharing it, but because it may help someone else. I don't hide it. If you notice in my bio, I state motivational speaker. I speak to groups in my area regarding abuse, and my experiences following the abuse, including IBS. I speak to alot of kids.

The abuse was the cause of my IBS, period, end of story.

Re: Subconscious reactions to earlier profound trauma(s) new
      #352766 - 11/27/09 10:16 AM
Gerikat

Thank you, sweetie. That is why I so connected to, "The Divided Mind", and I am now so engrossed in, "Evolve Your Brain", by Joe Dispenza. I love reading this stuff.

Family predispositions... new
      #352767 - 11/27/09 10:23 AM
Windchimes

Syl... I have come to believe that much of the family 'predispositions' come from the dysfunctions that is prevalent in dysfunctional families. These things are induced not necessarily by biological physical makeup, but rather the same dysfunctional behaviors repeated from generation to generation which ends up creating the same subconscious tendency toward the same symptoms and repeated physical (medical) conditions.

The bible says "The sins of the fathers will be passed onto the sons"... and this applies to daughters as well. These are injuries to the chore 'soul' of a person, and more often stored in the subconscious mind.

This is just my take on this... take it or leave it. I know what I know about my own body and scientific knowledge through clinical studies rarely considers the psychosomatic contributions to many familial illnesses and conditions.

--------------------

Reading... new
      #352768 - 11/27/09 10:39 AM
Windchimes

I've also been reading 'The Divided Mind', learning a lot and a lot to digest. I'm about half way through it now. I also ordered a used copy of 'Evolve Your Brain' and that one is next on my list of reading material.

VERY INTERESTING!!! Makes perfect sense to me.

I'm ready to get on with life, regardless of what the 'EXPERTS' say in all of their clinical studies which do absolutely nothing for me in the end. I love Heather's products, they work well for me when I can get them into me. Some days I feel like a limp rag reading on my bed and running back and forth to the toilet.

I definitely need to get a frig for my downstairs area where I live in the winter months (easily heated) and then I would do much better at keeping with the 'program'. Even so, I am improving simply by reading the present book and listening to soft instrumental music.

Take care and keep in touch...

--------------------

Re: Family predispositions... new
      #352770 - 11/27/09 10:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Twin studies have shown evidence of a genetic component to IBS that runs in families. Several candidate genes have been proposed, but no definitive associations have been established. The family 'predispositions' maybe genetic and passed on from generation to generation that way instead of dysfunctional behavior. Also, many people experience abuse and family dysfunction and they never develop IBS. Go figure

There are dozens of IBS clinical studies that look at psychological components of IBS. Unfortunately, have not illuminate the cause of IBS and it unlikely they will because they use crude measures and techniques. Oh - well - time will eventual tell us what is going in.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#352771 - 11/27/09 10:56 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

The abuse was the cause of your IBS but have you gotten the symptoms under control?

Triggers are those things that send you out of control again.
They can be food or stressors in our lives.
Not the stress that you live with from being abused,that's everyday but the stress that you experience when the bills need to be paid or someone pisses you off.

I too was abused as a child by more than one person,I dealt with that over the years and can put it behind me but looking back I realize I have dealt with IBS for many more years than I thought.
My symptoms flare when I become stressed out ie parents divorce,fighting with in laws,birth of children ,emergency surgery etc..

but I also have food triggers.
when not stressed out I can usually eat anything with the exception of a few foods.

There is a difference in triggers and causes I think.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: Family predispositions... new
      #352772 - 11/27/09 11:01 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Is this like families who tend to have alot of mentally ill people?
some families seem to have many members that have "nervous" disorders.

I know my whole family has stomach issues.Whether it be a tendency to C or D.We also have a lot of anxiety that I think causes our stomach/bowel issues.

My brothers and I all went through some of the same stresses and genetically we are made up of pretty much the same stuff so logically speaking doesn't that mean that it is likely we will react the same way physically?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 577 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12488

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review