All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else new
      #352724 - 11/26/09 04:21 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Have you had a colonoscopy for an official diagnosis? Are you keeping your meals small? Are you obese?

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#352731 - 11/26/09 06:46 PM

Unregistered

I've had tons of tests done,no colonoscopy, but a barium enema and x rays. NO I am not obese,but I don't have a flat stomach either, im 5ft 3.5 and weight 130lbs. im sure i will be losing some soon becaue I gave up triggers,which were all really high in fat.

Edited by aperson (11/26/09 06:48 PM)

Colonoscopy is a must... new
      #352733 - 11/26/09 07:07 PM
Windchimes

Per Heather's book, a colonoscopy is a must for diagnosing IBS properly. X-rays and barium enema (outdated) are not reliable for IBS.

In addition, you need to drink LOTS of water or tea every day. Minnie says we need more than 8 glasses of water or tea per day.

I suggest that you step up your water/tea intake, and make arrangements for a colonoscopy. The procedure is not uncomfortable at all, and the prep the night before will clean you out good, and then you can start fresh again.

--------------------

Re: Colonoscopy is a must... new
      #352734 - 11/26/09 08:28 PM

Unregistered

I have no money nor insurance for a colonoscopy. I drink 12 cups of tea a day,plus other things like rice and soy milk and bottled water at work.

You can't claim IBS if you have not been properly diagnosed -nt- new
      #352735 - 11/26/09 08:45 PM
Windchimes

--------------------

Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else
      #352737 - 11/26/09 09:06 PM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

I feel like I'm watching a train wreck.

#352738 - 11/26/09 09:09 PM

Unregistered

can you go on myspace now and can I message u there?

well goodnight,I will message u and hope u answere.

Edited by aperson (11/26/09 09:21 PM)

Rome III criteria for IBS new
      #352741 - 11/27/09 04:48 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There has been a change in the way IBS is diagnosed. I did not realize it until I read the recent article Diagnostic Testing in Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Theory vs. Reality by Dr. Spiegel at UNC brought to our attention by Shawneric. Dr. Spiegel works with Dr. Drossman from UNC who is the President of the Rome Foundation . In the article he says

Quote:

Guidelines State that IBS is Not a Diagnosis of Exclusion
Despite the tendency to order diagnostic tests in the face of IBS symptoms, the diagnostic criteria for IBS, such as those supported by the Rome Committee, encourage clinicians to make a positive diagnosis on the basis of validated symptom criteria, and emphasize that IBS is not a diagnosis of exclusion despite the extensive list of other conditions that masquerade as IBS. This recommendation is based on extensive evidence that diagnostic testing is generally very low yield in patients with IBS who otherwise lack alarming signs or symptoms (e.g. blood in the bowel movements, unintended weight loss, anemia, etc). Studies show that meeting the Rome criteria for IBS nearly ensures a lack of underlying alternative conditions. Specifically, if a patient meets the criteria for having IBS, then there is a 98% chance that there is, in fact, IBS – and only a 2% chance that there is some other condition lurking in the background. So, patients should ask their physicians if they "meet the Rome criteria." If they do, then there is a 98% chance that their diagnosis is, indeed, IBS – not something else.

Apparently the new Rome III guidelines don't consider IBS to be a disorder determined by exclusion requiring a variety of tests including a colonoscopy if there are no alarming features. Go figure

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: You can't claim IBS if you have not been properly diagnosed..I totally disagree new
      #352743 - 11/27/09 05:44 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I think it IS possible to determine IBS without all the invasive tests.
Following the EFI and finding good results shows me that it most likely IS IBS.
If you follow these guidelines and are still having some serious problems THEN you should consider looking at other problems.

Talking about your symptoms to your doctor and even to your family and friends can unleash a multitude of answers.
you may find that your mom suffered from stomach issues or your grandparents did...even aunts and uncles, and in my case all of my family have similar issues.

For my family we have figured out that stress is what has caused our bowel and stomach issues.

No stress and we feel fine.

I haven't had all the tests Heather says we should have but have had a few others.Nothing serious has shown up and the doctors can't tell me what is wrong.
My own research led me here and within a few weeks the EFI diet did for me what many doctors couldn't.

You need to educate yourself.
Not focusing on th efact that you have IBS is the first step in getting it undercontrol.

You are not IBS you HAVE IBS.

That isn't to say that if you still have serious issues that you shouldn't see a doctor and have further testing done but I don't think you can say to anyone no you don't have IBS because you didn't do all these tests.

IMHO
Christina

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Lemon Glazed Bread..loved it but it didn't love me.nt new
      #352744 - 11/27/09 05:51 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 287 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32564

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review