All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What do YOU want for Christmas???
      #351915 - 11/10/09 12:36 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

All I want for Christmas is a case of low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth.

After my house payment is made, and my utilities are paid, there is absolutely no money left for food during the cold winter months!

All I want to do during this time is sleep. There is no heating system in this house, and I rely on my electric blanket to stay warm.

Poor me!... NOT so, as I have a roof over my head and and not sleeping under a bridge. However, I did work all of my life and paid my taxes. Too bad that life has come to this. I dread the winter days coming when the power goes out for long periods of time here. Such curtails the warm electric blanket, making peppermint tea, and getting to the bathroom except with a flashlight.

Arrrggg!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What do YOU want for Christmas??? new
      #351929 - 11/10/09 02:11 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Why does your power go out for long periods of time?

#351942 - 11/10/09 03:38 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Northern California ? time to invest in a wood stove.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#351944 - 11/10/09 05:30 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

It sounds like you're having a tough time. I'd be happy to send you a case of chicken broth to help you through. Add your email to your account page and I will contact you for your mailing address.

#351956 - 11/10/09 05:52 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

Why are you having such a hard time? How can I help you?

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

#351964 - 11/10/09 06:45 PM
Windchimes

I am a senior and live on a fixed and limited income that only covers my mortgage payment and careful use of utilities. There is little money left for food. I do qualify for food bank assistance, though what they have on hand is not IBS safe and does nothing but flare my symptoms and render me bedridden.

--------------------

#351965 - 11/10/09 06:51 PM
Windchimes

I have a wood stove insert in my living area. However, the only access to this is from my deck. Last year I fell bringing in wood from the slippery deck and fractured my right knee, was in a crippling knee splint for 8 weeks. By the time I haul out ashes from the insert and start another fire, I have to resign myself to my bedroom downstairs and don't even get any personal benefit from the fire upstairs in the main living area.

Some people just don't understand how difficult it is for a senior woman living alone, physically and financially.

--------------------

#351966 - 11/10/09 06:59 PM
Windchimes

I live in a rural area in the foothills of California. Trees fall on overbhead power lines (no underground lines here), and also auto accidents (wrecks) end up hitting power poles and knock the power out. This has nothing to do with problems with my house, just all of us in general thoughout the winter months. Even high winds knock old trees over into power lines. We just never know when this might happen.

I have flashlights (like everybody else around here), and I can also warm things on my propane barbecue even in rainy weather under my deck with myself bundled up in warm clothing when the electrical power is out.

--------------------

#351974 - 11/10/09 07:58 PM
Windchimes

Hi Jennifer... You are so very kind and thoughtful. I can't even get this type of help from my church, given I am a divorced woman of 23 years. They only cater to widows. Widows have their husband's higher social security, his pension, and her own pension if she worked. More often their homes are fully paid for, and certainly mine is not. I just don't get it! I've had to go it totally alone for so long, and now I've got IBS-D and not liking it at all. My meals need to be simple and uncomplicated. I find chicken broth soothing to my tummy with a few simple seasonings.

I give my permission here for Heather or her staff to give you (only) my email address. I would prefer not to post my email address in my profile, as I had a computer crash from a hacker through this site and picked up a Trojan. The cost of repairing my old computer was more than buying a new one, and on my credit card no less! I now am very cautious about protecting my computer as a result.

Thank you for thinking of me and being so kind. My Christmas prayer would be answered.

Many blessings to you!

--------------------

#351976 - 11/10/09 08:50 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Windchimes, I am so fortunate in many ways, and it is my pleasure to help when I see someone who needs it.

Will you please email me with your home address?

Edited by frygurl (11/13/09 06:20 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1444 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6677

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review