All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
another piece to the puzzle
      #351501 - 11/02/09 02:01 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Today my new GI doctor informed me that I have gastroparesis, after reviewing the results of my gastric emptying study. While I wish this explained everything wrong with me, I know that it doesn't. But it explains something. And at least I finally have a visible problem, instead of always looking great on paper, but feeling horrible day after day. The unfortunate side to this disease is that there is no cure, only drugs to help my stomach empty faster. The drugs have really serious side effects, and since I don't have a severe case of gastroparesis (meaning I don't vomit, haven't lost significant weight, or don't appear to malnourished) I am going to control this with diet and herbal supplements. Any advice out there from fellow sufferers of slow stomach emptying?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: another piece to the puzzle new
      #351504 - 11/02/09 02:34 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi, I was diagnosed with gastroparesis this summer. It's been a rough road. Just so you know, it's a big difference in diet from the IBS diet to the gastroparesis diet... I'm also IBS-A and it's been HORRIBLE for my constipation. I'm finally getting on track by using colace and benefiber.
I had a moderate case, meaning it did cause vomiting every now and then. I ended up in the hospital twice this summer, once being admitted for 4 days. That was when I began taking reglan. I used it for one month and had two HORRIBLE side effects--1) I produced breast milk. I'm 26, never been preggo, and it freaked me out!!! Apparently this is common. 2) I also got some very small, hardly noticable facial ticks. I now have an appt with an neurologist about this, as these facial tics may never go away...
So, I am SO glad to hear you are going to try to control it through diet. It's hard to not eat fresh fruits and veg, but I do get more now by thoroughly cooking them.
This diagnosis does present an interesting question-- do you still have IBS? I am not sure if I do. I feel like my whole system is just slow. Sometimes it does get irritated and I get cramps and D...so I really have no clue. On top of it, I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago that showed some strange findings, but my doc honestly doesn't know what it is...so for now she says I have an 'atypical colon'...
If you have any questions about GP, let me know. i've learned A LOT over the past few months!

--------------------
IBS-A

#351505 - 11/02/09 03:03 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Aly, oh my goodness - those are terrible side effects!! I'm so sorry that you may have permanent damage, all the more reason to avoid the drugs if I can.

My doctor wasn't too specific with the diet. He told me to avoid fat and 'roughage' (both of which I already avoid on the EFI diet), and to eat small meals (already do because I get full really quickly and feel miserable if I eat too much). I'm going to meet with a dietitian next week to get a more detailed plan. I already feel concerned about the serious lack of nutritious food I am consuming, trying to stabilize my IBS symptoms.

Speaking of which, yes I think I do still have IBS. This diagnosis is just a piece of the puzzle for my digestive symptoms. I've suffered from chronic constipation, abdomen pain, bloating, and excess gas for pretty much my entire life. I don't think the gastroparesis fully explains those symptoms. But it does explain why I always feel nauseous after I eat, why I am always too full, have frequent heartburn/reflux, and possibly why I have large blood sugar fluctuations.

I think I am also reacting to certain foods, so that's another piece. My food sensitivity panel didn't give any useful result, just that I am reactive to everything, which could be lab error, or...who knows?

And I have a strong belief that emotional traumas I am holding on to are another piece. So I am working with a therapist and going to an anxiety support group to deal with that aspect.

I do believe I can feel better - any other outcome is just not acceptable. I so appreciate your support and will be sure to ask question about GP as they come up. I'm still digesting (ha!) the information.

#351605 - 11/04/09 08:27 AM
BarbieNJ

Reged: 10/19/09
Loc: New Jersey

I hope this leads you to the road of better health and overall just feeling alot better!!!

Good Luck!!!

--------------------
IBS-C Sufferer since I was 18 and a FMS sufferer also!! Not feeling well enough to shop...Visit my online website!! www.youravon.com/bwethman

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1380

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review