All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: The Divided Mind - Psychological Causes new
      #352136 - 11/14/09 12:30 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, Digby you are right. However, for those of us, like you, who are open to alternative methods and who think out of box of the Western way of "body part" medicine, it can be difficult at times to chat here. You have those that are so scientifically/clinically oriented, that if they cannot measure, study, prove, etc. something, then they interrupt the flow of the conversation with negativity, debate, or argument. That is what several of us were finding was happening.

That is why I had made the suggestion that we needed a place outside of Heather's boards, where we could chat openly about how we felt, not only about IBS but other health issues. I love Heather's boards, don't get me wrong, but I would rather chat where you can discuss, dairy, or meat, or chocolate, or energy medicine, or Reiki, or books like Sarno's, or acupuncture, EFT, etc., anything that you would like to discuss, that may not fit into someone's else's idea of treatment. I don't want to be limited in what I can or cannot discuss. I want to be able to put it out there for discussion.

So, I have started setting up a spot on Ning. If your email address is in your profile, once I get it rolling, I will send you a link, if you are interested. It will NOT be opened to the public, and will be by invitation only.

By the way, speaking of the brain, I read the Linden Method and practiced it for anxiety. He speaks of the same pathways in the brain, that can be changed from repeated bad patterns and habits, and to reprogram the brain to a different way of being.

I really love discussing alternative ways of seeing our lives and bodies. I think we could have a great chat room for those interested.

The tag line on the Alternative Care group room is, "If you are open-minded, free-spirited, and soul-inspired, then you are welcome."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Renee new
      #352158 - 11/14/09 06:40 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey Syl,

Everyone who reads these boards benefits from your insightful, well-researched and well-written posts. I am always interested to see how you will weigh in on a question or issue. So I would be genuinely curious to hear your thoughts about The Divided Mind... once you've read it in its entirety. Until then, all this back-and-forth seems a little pointless.

I found the second half of the book very compelling - each chapter is written by a different doctor who has utilized Sarno's principles in his or her practice. I found their contributions illustrated that his line of thinking is anything but outdated.

Have a read.. tell us what you think

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Edited by renee21 (11/14/09 06:48 PM)

Re: Renee new
      #352161 - 11/15/09 06:52 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hey Renee,

It is difficult to take an author seriously that starts off in the introduction of the Divide Mind by maligning the American medical profession for the removing the term psychosomatic from its dictionary of standard psychiatric terms and calling this action equivalent to removing the word infection from the medical vocabulary.

Quote:

The enormity of this miscarriage of medical practice to what would exist if medicine refused to acknowledge the existence of bacteria and viruses. Perhaps the most heinous manifestation of scientific medievalism has been the elimination of the term psychosomatic from the recent editions of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), the official publication of the American Psychiatric Association. One might as well eliminate the word infection from medical dictionaries.

He is annoyed that knowledgeable medical professionals have discarded the foundations of his psychosomatic notions. As I stated in a previous posting Sarno is using old notions about the mind-body connection (or as he says 'mindbody connection' ) that even his professional medical colleagues disposed of some time ago.

More problematic is the misrepresentation of 'irritable bowel syndrome' as TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome) - a psychosomatic disorder.

Quote:

(TMS), a painful psychosomatic disorder afflicting millions. The Divided Mind will deal with the full range of psychosomatic disorders, a far broader and more important subject. Psychosomatic disorders fall into two categories

1. Those disorders that are directly induced by unconscious emotions, such as the pain problems (TMS) and common gastrointestinal conditions including reflux, ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome , skin disorders, allergies and many others.

As I stated in a previous posting over the past 15 years research has been slowing moving IBS from the murky shadows of a psychological disorder (or psychosomatic illness) into the full light of physiological disorder. IBS isn't 'in our heads' it is 'in our bodies'.

Perhaps more revealing about Sarno's ignorance about IBS comes in the form of an interview he gave on the Divided Mind where says "... bowel irregularities that use to be called colitis these days are called irritable bowel syndrome ... ". Any knowledgeable individuals knows that colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel diseases not IBS and it definitely isn't a psychosomatic diseases.

It is difficult to finish reading a book that purports to have insight into IBS when the author does not demonstrate a grasp of the basics of the disorder. He may be a wizard when it comes to back, neck and limb pain but he appears to lack basic knowledge about GI disorders.

Sorry - I prefer to spend my time reading material written by medical professionals who study and treat IBS on a daily basis than to try and finish reading a book written by an author who appears to have has little more than a speculative understanding of the disorder that he tries to label as psychosomatic.

Just my humble opinion.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

For Renee new
      #352163 - 11/15/09 07:35 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Renee, I finished the book and find it fascinating. I really believe what he writes. Of course, one would need to read the book from cover to cover to really understand it, and not just grab bits and pieces of the information.

For those that have read the book in it's entirety, it will be nice chatting with you about it and I have a list of other related books, that I am going to read and I will share with you.

The mind is really amazing in how it protects us, isn't it?

Re: The Divided Mind - Psychological Causes new
      #365253 - 06/24/11 02:05 PM
chuck25

Reged: 06/23/11

I can't speak highly enough of Dr. Sarno's TMS approach. I found myself on every page of his book. With that said I like the book They Can't Find Anything Wrong with Me by Gastroentologist David Clarke. He explains it as stress illness instead of oxygen deprivation, which makes more sense to me. If you are interested check out this TMS recovery program What really helped me the most was reading these TMS Success Stories Has anyone else been helped by this approach?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 296 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37154

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review