All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Renee new
      #352017 - 11/11/09 03:08 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Thanks for the info. I, too am halfway through and find it very interesting since I fit every single one of the criteria. The strange thing is, I had read one of his books on back pain (which I was having at the time), and part-way through the book the back pain vanished. He states in The Divided Mind that that does happen. Before I had picked up his book on back pain, I had been through a family doctor, physical therapist, and chiropractor. Nothing helped until I read that darn book.

So, when PMartin brought this current book to my attention I certainly was intrigued.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The Divided Mind - Psychological Causes new
      #352020 - 11/11/09 03:55 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Renee, I wonder the same thing myself, about the GI tract problems. Can the physiological process be explained in the same way as TMS? I seem to have such a wide variety of symptoms, it's hard to believe they would all be caused by oxygen deprivation, but maybe that starts a chain reaction of malfunction in the gut. I wish he spent more time addressing IBS in his book.

I'm glad you asked about the psychological therapy approach. I am currently seeing a psychologist, but his approach is cognitive behavioral therapy, which is different than analytical, I believe. I suppose I will need to find a therapist outside my HMO if I want a different approach. I'm going to start with the treatment he outlines in the book and continue with my current psychologist for now.

Thanks for the information - I may just order the video of the lecture.

#352022 - 11/11/09 04:22 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Cognitive behavioral therapy IS analytical... simple reasoning and re-training the brain's perception of some things that hinder us!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#352028 - 11/11/09 06:27 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

CBT and analytical are two different things. This is what my dad said (he's a professor in this area): "Analytically trained means psychoanalytically trained -- a psychoanalyst. The term is quite specific and does not include CBT. Hope this helps."

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Edited by renee21 (11/11/09 07:14 PM)

#352030 - 11/11/09 07:07 PM
renee21

Here is the ISBN info for The Divided Mind. Healing Back Pain is one of Sarno's earlier books - it's much shorter and easy to read book and is based on his same theory of illness. That book also has a sound recording - here is the ISBN.

I am sorry to hear of your situation. The premise of Sarno's books is that chronic health issues like IBS, back pain, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, migraine, etc. which have no organic cause and do not respond to conventional treatment, are created by our subconscious mind in order to distract our conscious mind from emotional pain that would be too difficult for our conscious mind to deal with. Prior to developing IBS I had an eating disorder, and I find it useful to think of it in the same way: something that keeps you from really dealing with underlying feelings - which might be based on stuff you've buried since childhood, or something that happened yesterday.

Obviously I don't know your situation but it seems like some emotions that might be difficult for your conscious mind could be a sense of abandonment/betrayal/ ingratefulness from your children.

For those of us not in therapy, I think the important first step is, every time we find ourselves thinking about our guts (24/7, if you're like me), focus instead on what else we might be feeling. What else is going on in our life, what other thoughts are running through our mid, and what are the feelings behind them? I am finding dailing journalling down very helpful to see what else is going on besides my bowel issues.

--------------------

Re: Renee new
      #352033 - 11/11/09 07:41 PM
renee21

That's great about how it helped your back pain. I am curious as to whether you can trace your IBS to starting/worsening after your IBS cleared up. Sarno talks about how the body can simply "switch" symptoms if the underlying emotions aren't dealt with.

--------------------

#352034 - 11/11/09 08:09 PM
Gerikat

Oh yes. I have the symptom imperative. Since child molestation is part of my past, I am sure that has something to do with it. My IBS started right after the abuse, so no one will make me believe it is anything but related to the buried rage and psychological turmoil. If I am not dealing with anxiety and dizziness, it's some other strange symptom. And the symptoms are transient. He also says that most with Fibromyalgia also have IBS. Go figure. I see that all the time on these boards. I know without a shadow of a doubt the man is right about this.

#352044 - 11/12/09 07:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The relationship between fibromyalgia and IBS goes the other way too. A study of a random sample of 27,402 people drawn from 97,593 individuals with IBS showed individuals with IBS have a 40% to 80% higher prevalence odds of migraine, fibromyalgia, and depression. Both the brain-gut mechanism and fibromyalgia involve the HPA axis (hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis) which may be responsible for the overlap between these two disorders. It need not be psychological.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#352046 - 11/12/09 07:39 AM
renee21

Why couldn't emotional issues trigger dysfunction of the HPA axis - leading to any number of physical issues? Have you read Sarno?

--------------------

Re: Renee
      #352047 - 11/12/09 07:54 AM
Gerikat

Renee, I really believe in what Sarno has to say. It may be difficult to discuss the book here, because of others who will jump in and poo-poo anything he has to say. Maybe it's best if we discuss it via personal email, or I can get everyone a spot on Chatango.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37155

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review