All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I was wondering about this...
      #351435 - 11/01/09 09:23 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

That your body itself does not make gas, only bacteria can. I have read this countless times. So for excessive gas, is that really "IBS" or a bad bacterial problem? I've also read an overgrowth of candida yeast/fungus causes gas.

Thoughts, comments?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I was wondering about this... new
      #351441 - 11/01/09 11:02 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

IBS problems occur in the colon or bowel hence the name irritable bowel. More than 500 different bacteria live in the colon. They have been implicated in the cause as well as the control of IBS (e.g. probiotics). Gas is produced by good or bad bacteria. Remember even normal people produce gas. The gas may act as an IBS trigger. For example, it is established that methane gas produced by bacteria in the colon of some people IBSers increases constipation. No one knows if the bacteria that produce the methane gas are good or bad colonic bacteria or if it is the way the body acts to the methane gas that is the problem.

Are you IBS-D, IBS-C or IBS-A?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351685 - 11/05/09 11:44 AM
keldeb

Reged: 11/03/09

I have horrible, malodorous gas that is terribly embarrassing. I have changed my diet, taken Heather's fiber and peppermint capsules, as well as drink peppermint tea daily. I exercise every day and have eliminated dairy and a lot of fat, since I no longer have a gallbladder. I need help, and I need it fast. It's effecting my marriage as well as my job and other relationships. I will try anything at this point.

#351687 - 11/05/09 02:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What does you GP or GI doc suggest? Have you tried charcoal capsules? Have you removed sulfurous vegetables from your diet (onions, garlic, etc)? Have you tried any of the standard remedies ?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1900

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review