All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Doctors...enough said?
      #351235 - 10/27/09 01:23 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

Had to go to my doctor today just to get referred to a dietitian...that's all I wanted...in and out. By the time I walked out of there, I wanted to hurt him (and I'm a very passive person).

"Oh, I've never heard of a fructose allergy. I don't know how you would test for that."

And then I had to practically beg for a prescription for Lomotil "Won't that give you problems with constipation?"

If it's what will get me a solution to my problem I don't care, but does anyone else feel like you're doing all the work for your doctor and other than their signature, they're useless?

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Doctors...enough said? new
      #351236 - 10/27/09 02:00 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I couldn't have said it better myself. The only doctor I haven't felt that way about is my naturopathic doctor. She's great! But not covered by insurance...

#351242 - 10/27/09 02:49 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, Yes, Yes. Half the time you go in with a specific idea of what you would like to be tested for, (from your research), and they refuse to do it. Pisses me off! They really do think we are stupid, I believe.

I am going to start lying. I want a celiac panel done, and every doc I have seen, says it's not necessary. They are so outdated on the research. I am just going to tell them what they want to hear, so I can get the darn test. I really wish we didn't need them AT ALL, sometimes.

#351245 - 10/27/09 03:22 PM
frygurl

That's true - my doctor has refused lots of tests I've requested.

My ND wants some basic bloodwork, and I want to have my insurance pay for it, so my insured doctor will need to order the test. Any suggestions for how to request specific blood tests from a doctor? For instance, my ND wants to check my Vitamin D level.

#351246 - 10/27/09 03:28 PM
Gerikat

From my experience, it is a very special doc who will honor your ND's request. They just want to do it their way, or the highway. I have an ND also, but I gave up on Western docs. So, I don't get alot done that I would like to, because of cost.

They need to rethink their treatment of NDs in my opinion. I don't want to "need" a doc's orders to check my health. Argh!!!!!

#351247 - 10/27/09 04:49 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Just to play devil's advocate

Did you ask him about 'fructose allergy' or 'fructose malabsorption'? The reason I ask is there is no such thing as a 'fructose allergy'. AND many GPs and GI docs don't know the current thinking about 'fructose malabsorption'

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351248 - 10/27/09 05:54 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

while I understand what you're saying Syl and I can't remember my exact words...I know it wouldn't have mattered. He looked at me like as if I might as well been speaking Chinese.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

#351300 - 10/28/09 03:19 PM
frygurl

So I went to see another GI doc today, and it went better than I thought. I made sure I was clear that even though I don't have a life threatening or easily understood disease, I still deserve treatment. My new doctor said "Western medicine doesn't have all the answers, especially when it comes to functional bowel disorders. There are many alternative practitioners who may be able to help." I felt so relieved to hear him say that. But I did go over the list of things I have yet to be tested for and we discussed them. Some he said there is no test for such as low stomach acid and bacterial overgrowth, but others he agreed to try. He's going to check a stool sample for malabsorption, and have me tested for gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying). He also referred me to a nutritionist, and recommended I see my GP for a referral to an endocrinologist to further test my cortisol and blood sugar issues. And he left it by saying we have an open dialogue, which I thought was cool. I feel quite a bit happier about my med insurance company now. Hopefully between my GI doc and my ND we will make progress on this.

#351312 - 10/28/09 05:26 PM
Gerikat

That is strange because I coud have sworn others stated that there is a test for both SIBO and low stomach acid. Check with Syl on this, but I am sure there are tests for these.

#351316 - 10/28/09 07:51 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I don't actually see my doctor but my Nurse Practioner is great!.
I do my research, I tell her what I would like to have done.She suggests what we could do and who woul;d be the best to do it and if I change my mind then I can just cancell.
She is GREAT and totally understands how hard IBS is even though she can't give me much info herself.She believes me when I tell her what works and what doesn't.
I don't know what I would do without her!
Chris.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7328

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review