All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
how bad are egg yolks?
      #350923 - 10/19/09 08:54 AM

Unregistered

I forget,why are egg yolks bad? I was thinking if I made regular chocolate chip cookies with dairy free choc. chips that the yolks would be ok?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how bad are egg yolks? new
      #350924 - 10/19/09 09:07 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Skip the yolks. This what Heather has to say about it:
"Meat, dairy products, and egg yolks are particularly dangerous for all aspects of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In some people their high fat content causes violent, rapid colon spasms and triggers diarrhea. Alternately, for others their heavy animal proteins, complete lack of fiber, and very low water content can lead to drastically slowed colon contractions (or one prolonged colon spasm, which is extremely painful) and severe constipation. No matter what Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms you're prone to, these three categories of foods pose high risks and are really best eliminated from your diet altogether."

Safe chocolate chip cookie recipe new
      #350925 - 10/19/09 09:10 AM
frygurl

These are IBS safe chocolate chip cookies. My husband, who has an iron stomach, still really likes these. They taste great, it's just the texture that is different from what you are used to. I got this from the IBS recipe exchange, and modified a couple things.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

3 tbsp canola
1 tbsp corn syrup
3/4 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites
1 1/4 C flour
1/2 C instant oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C chocolate chips
Cooking spray

1. Combine oil and syrup in a large bowl, stir well with whisk. Add sugars stir well. Stir in vanilla and eggs.
2. Combine flours, soda, and salt in another bowl. Add to sugar mixture and stir well. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F
4. Drop by level tbsp 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 F for 8 min. or until almost set. Cool on pan for 2 min or until firm. Yield 44 cookies.

#350928 - 10/19/09 09:55 AM

Unregistered

well I still want to try it...if it's mixed with all safe ingredients and 2 yolks are spread out in all the cookies..it may be ok for me. here's the recipe I want to make,what do I substitute for the butter? http://notes.camillestyles.com/2009/07/24/worlds-best-chocolate-chip-cookie/

#350929 - 10/19/09 10:00 AM
frygurl

I can't recommend that recipe because it's not IBS safe. Sorry.

#350930 - 10/19/09 10:14 AM

Unregistered

I never said you recommend it or that you have to,what do I substitute for the butter,now that is an ibs safe idea,

#350931 - 10/19/09 10:25 AM
frygurl

It's not IBS safe because if you replace the amount of butter in that recipe (it calls for 12 tablespoons) with another form of fat such as smart balance light (not even sure if that would work), it would still be much to fatty. Add in the egg yolks and the chocolate chips (which are about 50%+ fat, yes even non-dairy ones) and these cookies will most certainly trigger an attack. The challenge with making cookies IBS friendly is replacing the butter with something else. Butter is what gives cookies their form and texture. You would need something equally fatty, like margarine or shortening to replace it for the cookies to come out as if they were made with butter. This is problematic because an IBS safe diet requires that no more than 25% of the calories from something you eat be from fat. That's why IBS safe cookies have to be reformulated - thus the recipe I gave you.

#350934 - 10/19/09 11:04 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

When I make my omelet I do use a small amount of an egg yolk. The key for me is a small amount. Then I use quite a few of the whites. I use the organic, high omega eggs, free-range. Delish!

#350946 - 10/19/09 04:04 PM
karatejoe

Reged: 09/07/09
Loc: Florida

I have to agree you on this one.
once a week I indulge on some vegan chocolate chip cookies from whole foods market. I dont know how IBS safe they are but they dont cause me a problem and taste so good. other than they cost $1.74 each !

Aperson ... why continue to eat what's going to be bad for you? new
      #350958 - 10/19/09 07:29 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Aperson ... why continue to eat what's going to be bad for you? new
      #350971 - 10/20/09 09:15 AM

Unregistered

cuz I'm a retard.

Re: Aperson ... why continue to eat what's going to be bad for you? new
      #350978 - 10/20/09 11:21 AM
Gerikat

Oh, please don't put yourself down. We are all in the same boat, human, fallible, with a chronic condition. It is never easy. We all fall off the wagon at times, but you, poor soul, seem to do it a little more frequently. Be more kind to yourself.

Aperson - that's not the answer ... I agree with Gerikat ... new
      #350988 - 10/20/09 04:23 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

There's no reason to put yourself down ... and I didn't mean to belittle you at all. It's never been a habit of mine to make someone feel bad.

Aperson, if I did, I am sorry.

But… I am still wondering why you don't work on changing your habits? You can! And only you can decide to do it … no one on these boards can change that … only you.

Easy … nope.
Worth it … yup … forever.

Don't say you can't or I don't understand addictions.
I came back from the Southeast Asia war games addicted to amphetamines.
Took me years to get over it. But we all have to take that first step in making a change in ourselves. I can still taste those little white "cross tops". But now I refuse to partake.

My real point here is that if someone as weak as I was can choose to change and make it work then I know that you can too.

Be good to yourself.

I've said enough … I'm done

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Nice post Double J- nt new
      #350992 - 10/20/09 06:24 PM
Gerikat

#351049 - 10/22/09 05:36 AM
Catgirl

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Canada

Well I know that egg yolks are full of fat choesterol and thousands of people each year die of salmonella poisoning each year and that's only counting the U.S. And when you think of it eggs is a hens' period.
Also the term 'free range' is very misleading. Here's what it actually means http://www.veganoutreach.org/freerange/ It's horrific really.:(

#351053 - 10/22/09 07:22 AM
Gerikat

Yes, Cat Girl, that is gross, it's the period.

As far as the free range goes, I know the farm, I see the chickens. It is a CSA (Community Sustained Agriculture) farm that I visit for fresh eggs, produce, fruit, bread, etc. It is actually an organic farm that you can work on, and you get a share of the produce. I do that sometimes, and have the veggies shipped to me, but I also grow alot of my own.

So, anyway, it is not eggs I buy in a supermarket. I don't buy too much in the supermarket.

Re: Aperson - that's not the answer ... I agree with Gerikat ... new
      #351056 - 10/22/09 08:03 AM
karatejoe

Reged: 09/07/09
Loc: Florida

the diet changes I made ( finally) are well worth it. I have not felt this good in 17 years.When i cheat, I pay a high price. No more cheating for me hahaha

how long can these cookies chill in fridge for? new
      #351379 - 10/30/09 12:32 PM

Unregistered

I don't have time to make this all the way before work...Can they chill for 6-12 hours before going in the oven??

Re: how long can these cookies chill in fridge for? new
      #351380 - 10/30/09 12:36 PM
frygurl

Absolutely. The dough will probably keep for at least a couple days in the fridge.

When do I add the chocolate chips? new
      #351392 - 10/31/09 08:02 AM

Unregistered

there's no directions for those..and Im almost done mixing everything..

Re: When do I add the chocolate chips? new
      #351394 - 10/31/09 08:43 AM
frygurl

Add them last.

my cookies sucked! new
      #351398 - 10/31/09 09:26 AM

Unregistered

I didn't realize how much they would spread so it was like 6 big cookies smashed together,they were overdone and I forgot nonstick spray on the tin foil now I have to scrap the bread off the top of the cookies. as soon as they came out of the oven I had to hurry and crap the tops and that made a bunch of crumbs and they didn't even taste that good. I cooked them for the 8 minutes or less and they were overdone! I think I will just eat the cookie dough,perhaps I could make some kind of shake or smoothie out of it too??

Edited by aperson (10/31/09 09:40 AM)

Re: my cookies sucked! new
      #351401 - 10/31/09 11:26 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Modify any of your favourite cookie recipes using "safe ingredients"

To me that would mean omitng the egg yolk only use white part and use whatever butter substitute you can handle.

If you really can't do egg then omit it and add 1/4 cup of water.

I don't use soy products I actually do better with real butter.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#351412 - 10/31/09 11:57 AM

Unregistered

I did make the cookies ibs safe,I followed the recipe and they sucked so bad. Maybe becaue I put tinfoil on the pan then put cookies on it and thats why both pans came out with overdone cookies? I thought the dough tasted better than the cookies! I only used the egg whites,followed the recipe exactly!

#351413 - 10/31/09 12:04 PM
frygurl

Sorry you didn't like the cookies. The recipe says to use a tablespoon amount for each cookie - this keeps them from spreading out too much. Also, anytime you are cooking low fat, you have to use the non-stick spray because fat is what keeps things from sticking. If the cookies were overdone you could try turning down the oven - maybe down 25-50 degrees. Then keep your eye on the cookies so they don't over cook. I thought these tasted pretty good and so did my husband. Not exactly like cookies made with butter, but a good alternative. If you like the dough, then you could just eat the dough.

#351414 - 10/31/09 12:12 PM

Unregistered

its really hard finding time to cook especially the days I have to work ibs is so bad everyday and I barley made it through making those cookies I felt so bad. I wanted to hurry up and cook them and I guess I didn't use a tablespoon so I could just put everything on 2 pans and get it over with,guess I'll make these at night time on my day off.

Re: When do I add the chocolate chips? new
      #351415 - 10/31/09 12:13 PM
BarbieNJ

Reged: 10/19/09
Loc: New Jersey

I always stir in my chips last.

--------------------
IBS-C Sufferer since I was 18 and a FMS sufferer also!! Not feeling well enough to shop...Visit my online website!! www.youravon.com/bwethman

#351426 - 11/01/09 06:26 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I didn't mean this recipe.I mean any recipe.

And no I wouldn't have used the tin foil either.

You might be interested in picking up a silicone baking sheet.It goes on the reg cookie sheet and nothing sticks to it.I use alot of the silicone bakeware.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Don't give up on these there worth it. new
      #351475 - 11/02/09 08:32 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

don't give up on these there so worth it. I make them about every other week there the one thing on this diet that makes me feel "normal" I have made these alot and the one thing is you have to let the dough set for a hour or the won't turn out. My family love these I have use the same recipe and made them with differant chips for them. When you have time and feel up to it try them again and spray your pan. When I started making them I use half the c-chips to get use to the fat and trust me you still get alot of chips hope this helps. I think I'll be making them for christmas gifts this year to. Good luck feel better soon!
Emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Re: Don't give up on these there worth it. EMMASMOM new
      #351520 - 11/02/09 08:28 PM

Unregistered

I was sure I let it set an hour...ok so don't use the tin foil right? and use a metal pan sprayed? What would happen if I used 1 or 2 heart shaped cake pans would it burn or just make one large cookie?

Edited by aperson (11/03/09 09:07 PM)

Re: Don't give up on these there worth it. EMMASMOM bump.. new
      #351674 - 11/05/09 09:37 AM

Unregistered

hope to make this tonight..

#351679 - 11/05/09 10:41 AM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

I also use Pampered Chef Stoneware and I spray it with Pam. You can also substitute for oil in recipes with applesauce or mashed banana in the same amount 1cup=1cup. I have had some success with this especially in cakes.

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

#351681 - 11/05/09 10:43 AM

Unregistered

ok,but I don't want to go buy a new pan cuz I am almost in the negative dollars..what if I used a heart shape cake pan,would it make 1 large cookie or would it just burn? I have 2 heart cake pans..

#351686 - 11/05/09 12:53 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

I never made a big cookie before but I don't see why you can't do it that way. You may have to adjust your cooking time. Just keep checking it. Use a toothpick and see how done it is in the middle. I spray my pans like that with Pam.

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24142

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review