All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
how bad are egg yolks?
      #350923 - 10/19/09 08:54 AM

Unregistered

I forget,why are egg yolks bad? I was thinking if I made regular chocolate chip cookies with dairy free choc. chips that the yolks would be ok?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how bad are egg yolks? new
      #350924 - 10/19/09 09:07 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Skip the yolks. This what Heather has to say about it:
"Meat, dairy products, and egg yolks are particularly dangerous for all aspects of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In some people their high fat content causes violent, rapid colon spasms and triggers diarrhea. Alternately, for others their heavy animal proteins, complete lack of fiber, and very low water content can lead to drastically slowed colon contractions (or one prolonged colon spasm, which is extremely painful) and severe constipation. No matter what Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms you're prone to, these three categories of foods pose high risks and are really best eliminated from your diet altogether."

Safe chocolate chip cookie recipe new
      #350925 - 10/19/09 09:10 AM
frygurl

These are IBS safe chocolate chip cookies. My husband, who has an iron stomach, still really likes these. They taste great, it's just the texture that is different from what you are used to. I got this from the IBS recipe exchange, and modified a couple things.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

3 tbsp canola
1 tbsp corn syrup
3/4 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites
1 1/4 C flour
1/2 C instant oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C chocolate chips
Cooking spray

1. Combine oil and syrup in a large bowl, stir well with whisk. Add sugars stir well. Stir in vanilla and eggs.
2. Combine flours, soda, and salt in another bowl. Add to sugar mixture and stir well. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F
4. Drop by level tbsp 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 F for 8 min. or until almost set. Cool on pan for 2 min or until firm. Yield 44 cookies.

#350928 - 10/19/09 09:55 AM

Unregistered

well I still want to try it...if it's mixed with all safe ingredients and 2 yolks are spread out in all the cookies..it may be ok for me. here's the recipe I want to make,what do I substitute for the butter? http://notes.camillestyles.com/2009/07/24/worlds-best-chocolate-chip-cookie/

#350929 - 10/19/09 10:00 AM
frygurl

I can't recommend that recipe because it's not IBS safe. Sorry.

#350930 - 10/19/09 10:14 AM

Unregistered

I never said you recommend it or that you have to,what do I substitute for the butter,now that is an ibs safe idea,

#350931 - 10/19/09 10:25 AM
frygurl

It's not IBS safe because if you replace the amount of butter in that recipe (it calls for 12 tablespoons) with another form of fat such as smart balance light (not even sure if that would work), it would still be much to fatty. Add in the egg yolks and the chocolate chips (which are about 50%+ fat, yes even non-dairy ones) and these cookies will most certainly trigger an attack. The challenge with making cookies IBS friendly is replacing the butter with something else. Butter is what gives cookies their form and texture. You would need something equally fatty, like margarine or shortening to replace it for the cookies to come out as if they were made with butter. This is problematic because an IBS safe diet requires that no more than 25% of the calories from something you eat be from fat. That's why IBS safe cookies have to be reformulated - thus the recipe I gave you.

#350934 - 10/19/09 11:04 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

When I make my omelet I do use a small amount of an egg yolk. The key for me is a small amount. Then I use quite a few of the whites. I use the organic, high omega eggs, free-range. Delish!

#350946 - 10/19/09 04:04 PM
karatejoe

Reged: 09/07/09
Loc: Florida

I have to agree you on this one.
once a week I indulge on some vegan chocolate chip cookies from whole foods market. I dont know how IBS safe they are but they dont cause me a problem and taste so good. other than they cost $1.74 each !

Aperson ... why continue to eat what's going to be bad for you? new
      #350958 - 10/19/09 07:29 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24142

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review