All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Info about colonscopy
      #350009 - 09/16/09 01:47 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy in a few weeks, and I'm feeling pretty nervous. I will be sedated during the procedure, so I think I will deal okay, but I am concerned about the prep. I am interested in hearing about people with IBS share their experiences with the prep and the actual procedure. Did it exasperate your IBS symptoms?

Also, what have you found to make the gallon of liquid required for the prep go down easier? I have no idea how I am going to drink a gallon of vile liquid in 4 hours. I don't think I could drink a gallon of plain water in that amount of time.

What's the best remedy to prevent soreness around the anus from going to the bathroom so much during the prep?

I really appreciate insights from those of you have been through this procedure.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Info about colonscopy new
      #350011 - 09/16/09 02:12 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

First of all, it really isn't that bad.

Where are you getting you have to drink "a gallon of vile liguid in 4 hours?" You cannot eat and you do have to continue with broth, jello, clear fluids, etc, but I know nothing about drinking a gallon of vile liquid?

I had to drink 2 small bottles of pretty nasty stuff, and drink plenty of water, but no gallon of anything.

I had no soreness around the anus. I just relaxed and stayed near the bathroom that day. You won't be able to work on your prep day, because you really need to be close to the bathroom.

You feel absolutely nothing during the procedure or after. It didnt exacerbate my IBS symptoms. My first BM the day after the procedure was a little loose, but after that everything was fine.

It really isn't a big deal. I have been through much worse. The toughest part is drinking those 2 bottles of crap, but other than that, don't worry about it.

#350012 - 09/16/09 02:20 PM
frygurl

Thanks for the response. It does help to know it wasn't that bad. My GI doctor gave me a prescription for something called Golytely, which is a gallon of some sort of medicine that makes you have to go, and you are suppose to drink 8 ounces every 10 minutes until you finish the bottle. Seems excessive to me, but that's what the directions say.

Do you remember the name of the medicine you took?

#350013 - 09/16/09 03:20 PM
Gerikat

Yes, it does seem excessive, but I think there are many routes docs take to get there. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but it was right in the drug store. I think it was a Fleet product, near enemas. I had to drink two bottles, spaced apart, and I could mix it with water, or drink straight up. Believe me, even though I bought the flavored kind, I had to mix it with water. I had never tasted anything so vile...it tasted like pure salt, with a rank taste on top of that. YUK!!!!

Your experience may be different, since you are taking a different product. Good luck!

#350024 - 09/17/09 05:46 AM
karatejoe

Reged: 09/07/09
Loc: Florida

do you really think you would need the whole gallon to clean your colon out? That is the purpose of the liquid is to completely clean out the colon. Some normal people need a whole gallon. Myself, I wont touch the stuff and just go for the test because my IBS-D will clean me out with the stress of it all. I see people at the hospital trying to down the gallon. Most never get it all down. It seems pretty tuff.

#350027 - 09/17/09 08:17 AM
Schnauzer1

Reged: 01/06/09

The colonoscopy prep is always a source of frustration and much second-guessing.

First, we all can understand the importance of being totally cleaned out – (it's for our own benefit) - in order to facilitate obtaining meaningful results from the exam.

GI Docs all seem to have developed their very own recipe for accomplishing this task. But all include large amounts of liquid. (That IS important)

Here is what they NEVER seem to tell you up front (in my experience anyway).

The prep needs to be pursued until everything emerging from the far end is running clear, meaning no more chunks or pieces of solid materials. (IOW totally liquid)

The reason for advocating for a large amount of fluids accompanying the stimulant is for purposes of protecting the kidneys. One very good prep product was discontinued from use for colonoscopy preps a few years ago due to its negative affect on the kidneys of a few patients.

It has never ceased to amaze me that when they are doing an exam on a patient with chronic IBS-D, they seemingly mindlessly prescribe the exact same prep as they do for folks with IBSC. Go figure. (I always suspect a bit of sadism in this).

I recommend, that if one is using something like golytly, that the first glass be chilled. Then leave the rest out to warm to room temp. When one ingests such large amounts of cold fluid as fast as recommended for the colonoscopy prep, it lowers our core body temperature to a point of being really chilled. Then having to spend hours in bed with a heating pad trying to re-warm.

In my personal experience, I have nevr had to go much past about 1/2 the gallon of prep for good emptying results.

AND --- IMHO --- Not necessary to add this extreme chilled discomfort to the rest of the prep rigmarole.

#350033 - 09/17/09 10:47 AM
Gerikat

Wow! I don't know what this stuff is you guys had to drink, but it was nothing like mine. I drank plenty of liquids the day before, but only a small bottle and a half of the nasty stuff, then I continued to keep drinking.

I was running clear after the first bottle (YUK!), so when I threw up the second bottle, I didn't worry about it too much. The doc said it was fine, since I was running clear after the first bottle. I do believe they give you way too much of that crap. I run towards C and I was totally cleaned out and wiped out after the first bottle.

#350040 - 09/17/09 01:49 PM
frygurl

The directions from my doctor say "8 oz every 10 minutes until effluent is clear". I take that to mean I don't have to drink all of the stuff, only until it's all clear coming out.

Schnauzer1, how have you flavored the stuff in the past? I've heard Crystal Light helps the taste. What flavor is best, I wonder.

#350065 - 09/18/09 08:19 AM
Schnauzer1

Reged: 01/06/09

For the last procedure I had to have done, the official "cocktail recipe" recommended included Dulcolax tablets' 2 nights before the procedure. Then Miralax mixed in an electrolyte drink the evening before, and then Mag-sulfate 4 hours before the procedure. I did not do take the Dulcolax as IMHO these were generic instructions which did not take into account the fact that my problem was diarrhea (I have Collagenous colitis).

I used grape flavored G2 to mix the Miralax into. They recommended that -- as they want an elecrolyte type drink used as the liquid part of the mix, and I can't stand Gatoraide. The G2 mix wasn't bad. But a bolus of 8 oz of any refrigerated drink every 15 minutes X 4 or + ??, will always chill the body considerably

In answer to what I think is your question, are you trying to flavor golytely? I would think the Crystal light would be OK. I think that's a good question for the pharmacist. I would tend to believe (but don't know) that the golytely is a formulated mix with bowel stimulant AND electrolytes. I would just ask pharmacy about adding the Crystal light, or perhaps even something like Kool-aide?

The reason that they recommend refrigerating to chill before drinking is that most people tend to think that a chilled beverage tastes better (or at least is more tolerable) than a beverage at room temp. But in my book, I'd rather deal with a room temperature beverage than the chills that this volume of cold fluid causes. That's an individual preference tho.

Good Luck

#350119 - 09/20/09 08:07 AM
jcd

Reged: 08/29/09
Loc: Pennsylvania

I'v just finished all the replys to your question and wonder if anyone has used the tablet prep that my doc prescribed named OSMOPREP? It goes like this....the day prior at 4pm take 4 tabs every 15 mins. with at least 8oz of liquid until 20 have been consumed the last doses taken with ginger ale. Then at 8pm, take 4 tabs every 15 mins., til remaining 8 tabs are consumed. Take the first dose with clear liquid. Take the second dose with 12 ozs of ginger ale. After reading the thread this seems excessive. Here's hoping someone has some knowledge of this product. TIA

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 294 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4078

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review