All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
I don't mean to get political, but...
      #349721 - 09/04/09 09:37 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I've been reading about the controversy over President Obama giving a speech to the nation's school children about working hard in school and setting academic goals. Lots of people are up in arms, saying he's trying to brainwash their children's impressionable minds, and that he's creating a cult of personality.

Does this response seem downright hysterical, or is it just me? I sense so much fear of President Obama, and I am trying to figure out why. Is it because he's messing with the status quo? Or is he really an evil communist dictator?

I suppose any public figure is going to be openly criticized. That's the beauty of our free nation. But it seems to me that because of the way we get our information via Internet, people can say anything and it becomes news, regardless of any validity that statement might have. Speculation becomes the gospel truth. I don't know about you, but my head is spinning trying to make sense of everything I read these days.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I think we are too hysterical about it ... new
      #349722 - 09/04/09 10:09 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Well… I didn't vote for President Obama, but now it's time to get behind our President. What ever happened to "ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country" attitude.

Or…
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

We should not be afraid when the President wishes to address us, or our children.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: I don't mean to get political, but... new
      #349725 - 09/05/09 06:29 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

That is where the media/Internet is good and bad. It's best to choose the positive and shut out the rest, or you will live in fear, for sure.

Re: I think we are too hysterical about it ... new
      #349726 - 09/05/09 07:37 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I don't have a problem with, "Ask not what your country can do for you- ask what you can do for your country"...but it gets a little creepy when asked, "What can you do to help President Obama." I agree, it has gotten way out of hand, but I suspect it is driven by fear.

Parents need to be cautious when the president, ANY president, enters the children's psychological domain as a huge parent figure in a learning environment. His presence in this manner, along with the structured study questions (in this incidence)that follow, can be appropriately construed as being politically persuasive.

Even "if" there was ever to be a political message in his speech, I'm betting there will be no hint of it on Tuesday. I hear the speech will be released on Monday, so I'll probably check it out. I guess the best thing is to always be informed, especially when it comes to your children.

read the speech new
      #349765 - 09/07/09 06:20 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I read the speech, and just as I expected, it is a motivational speech about working hard to stay in school to benefit not only oneself, but society as a whole. Spoken from a president who did not begin life with a privileged existence. I think this could inspire hope in millions of kids who feel that they don't have the opportunities to reach far in life. At least I know where to stand now.

Frygurl new
      #349766 - 09/07/09 07:17 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I just read it and found it to be very motivating. Let's hope it catches some of those kids who have no parental/family support, (there are quite a few of those), and keeps them from falling through the cracks.

this is why new
      #349966 - 09/14/09 06:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

because of his race and the right-wing media crazies that slander everything about him. They claim he was not born in the states but have no proof, for instance. And there is this rumor that under the president's health plan we will make elderlies get euthanized. Can you believe how dumb some people are?

I stay neutral where politics are concerned but I really hate lying and misinformation.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: this is why new
      #349995 - 09/15/09 07:09 PM
kim123

Again, I think it is because of who the President associates himself with that leaves people feeling a little unnerved...unvetted "advisors" (czars) Van Jones,Cass Sunstein, John Holdren, as well as ACORN whom the gov't gives beaucoup tax dollars to, and to whom OBAMA said he "wanted to have input into the agenda for the presidency...", and, "he's been fighting alongside ACORN on issues....."

Just because people ask questions and demand answers doesn't make them "crazies". Did you read the 1000 page health plan, and understand everything in there? We need reform, but let's make sure we all understand the implications and outcomes first, of every line written in there.

any comments on Pres. Carter's comments?-nt new
      #350014 - 09/16/09 04:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: any comments on Pres. Carter's comments?-nt new
      #350017 - 09/16/09 05:16 PM
kim123

Seems like he still trying to be in the limelight with comments like that. He had more disgruntled citizens speak out against his policies than I think even Obama does right now. Were they all racist? Even the White House is trying to distance itself from it all. Oh brother...why can't we all just get along............

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 318 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11931

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review