All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: Pelosi speaks new
      #350102 - 09/18/09 08:16 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I certainly respect your opinion. It's always good to have a rational discussion, unlike what we've been hearing about lately through the media. My point was, even the Democrats have had their share of associated crazies doing things most of us would agree to be intolerable. No party is exempt. I can't whole-heartedly agree with any party at this point. I think all government (both sides) is corrupt to a certain extent.

Perhaps if Obama could outline specifics of how he would extend coverage to tens of millions without increasing the deficit, and explain how we will be able to sustain the dramatic increase of people using the system of doctors and diagnostics we now have in place, as well as allow Congress to take time to read the bill, have bi-partisan debate and have open discussion instead of trying to push it through on his timeline, people would be more willing to buy into it. The President has not even invited the GOP to the White House for meetings on healthcare reform. He has enough warm bodies to pass the bill without the GOP, yet he is still having difficulty getting support within his own party. That should say something.

Personally, I think we need to reform the old system, including tort reform, allowing people to buy across state borders to promote competition, before changing everything and creating a 7 trillion deficit (according to Congressional Budget Office) in doing so. Right now, surveys say 87% of employees are likely to cut benefits if reform leads to higher costs. People will lose their choice of private coverage. I'm not willing to take that chance.Look at the Cash for Clunkers program as a indication as to what could happen when the government gets involved...it ran out of money the first week, charities are hurting, and used car auto parts and service, along with auto parts stores are short 650,000 cars to work on and sell for parts.

We need reform, but we need to get it right.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: very insightful new
      #350282 - 09/25/09 12:51 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

WOW!!!! Very nice, Little Minnie. Yes, most people are driven by racism even though they do not want to admit it. I wanted to say alot more, but I don't want to offend anyone. It's not necessarily racism, all the time, per se, but prejudice like you said.

I like your example of the teenager. I feel the same. They just annoy me until I find a 'cool' one.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Re: Frygurl new
      #350287 - 09/25/09 01:21 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Nice spin on things, Gerikat! Glad to hear a change of heart. I don't particularly care for Obama, I didn't vote for him, but if he's trying to help the kids, let him do it. Lord knows alot of kids have no parental/family guidance and care. They need everything they can get.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Re: Frygurl new
      #350301 - 09/25/09 04:01 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Thanks Kappy. This has the potential to become a volatile situation, just like abortion, religion, etc. I did try to stay positive and neutral, without revealing too much of my opinion on O'bama.

thanks new
      #350334 - 09/26/09 07:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am daily becoming more aware of the racism in this country. My hub was saying stuff about the anti-Obama but plain racist propaganda he sees his coworkers display. It isn't just political but extremely racist, and he says so to them.
Then he was telling me of someone he knows who had two black friends up north (north part of MN) to go hunting or whatever. They went to a restaurant in Grand Marais and the waitress had to tell them that the cook would not cook for them. I didn't catch if they were African or African American. But can you believe someone in the north (vs the south) could still be so actively racist?
Then we went up north this weekend and went to a large truckstop/restaurant for breakfast. There was a hunting party of guys with one black guy and the waitress didn't fill his water glass with the rest- we noticed. Little things but they speak volumes. And the media is definitely talking about this subject right now. I watched some of Meet The Press with Obama the other day and other NBC nightly reports and so on really are addressing it. Obama said in times of recession this sort of thing often comes out. We all have to remember the recession started before he came into office and not connect him to it. He is just stuck picking up the peices.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: thanks new
      #350349 - 09/27/09 09:47 AM
kim123

I don't doubt that there are many racist people in this country...some even racist toward white people, of which I see it all the time at mine, and my daughter's school.

Because I do have issues with some of the policies of the Obama administration, that does not make me a racist, no more than all the Bush, Carter, Reagan antagonists were racist against them. Many blacks (and I know they are not racist)are also speaking out against Obama's policies. President Clinton was even accused of playing the race card during the campaign.

The only thing I connect to President Obama is his record since he has been in office. It's the continued spending of billions and billions of taxpayers money that has started the uprising. He has added more to the national debt while in office for 9 months than all the other presidents, including Bush, combined. 66% of voters nationwide are currently at least somewhat angry about the current policies of this administration. Don't worry, that includes the fact that 60% believe that neither party's political leaders have an understanding of what is needed today.

I think we all just want clear answers to many unanswered questions, such as where is all this money going to come from?-what is it going to mean/cost to me personally? The "race card" strategy is one both political sides will often play. They'll do whatever they need to take the focus away from them, and put the other side down, especially when it appears they are losing in a particular battle. Tactics 101.

#350358 - 09/27/09 05:56 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have just never had an issue with paying taxes. I want to have a safe, happy home and the most necessary needs for all around me. For roads, schools, health care, police etc I would happily pay more taxes, but where most of our taxes go is war and armament.
Sometimes I think the dividing line between a republican and an anarchist, and a democrat and a communist is perhaps starting to blend a little.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#350360 - 09/27/09 06:42 PM
kim123

Little Minnie, I tend to agree with you. I just don't want my tax dollars going to pay for bailouts, "pork" spending and others' irresponsibility of getting into debt, buying things (i.e. houses) they couldn't afford in the first place.

As for where our taxes go, the Bush administration spent $622 billion for the entire cost of the Iraq war. Shockingly, President Obama's welfare spending alone will reach $888 billion in a single fiscal year. His projected spending proposals will lead to a spending total of 10.3 trillion over the next decade.

Where does it all end? How do we pay for it all? My opinion, less government is better.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 247 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11965

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review