All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I don't mean to get political, but...
      #349721 - 09/04/09 09:37 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I've been reading about the controversy over President Obama giving a speech to the nation's school children about working hard in school and setting academic goals. Lots of people are up in arms, saying he's trying to brainwash their children's impressionable minds, and that he's creating a cult of personality.

Does this response seem downright hysterical, or is it just me? I sense so much fear of President Obama, and I am trying to figure out why. Is it because he's messing with the status quo? Or is he really an evil communist dictator?

I suppose any public figure is going to be openly criticized. That's the beauty of our free nation. But it seems to me that because of the way we get our information via Internet, people can say anything and it becomes news, regardless of any validity that statement might have. Speculation becomes the gospel truth. I don't know about you, but my head is spinning trying to make sense of everything I read these days.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I think we are too hysterical about it ... new
      #349722 - 09/04/09 10:09 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Well… I didn't vote for President Obama, but now it's time to get behind our President. What ever happened to "ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country" attitude.

Or…
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

We should not be afraid when the President wishes to address us, or our children.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: I don't mean to get political, but... new
      #349725 - 09/05/09 06:29 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

That is where the media/Internet is good and bad. It's best to choose the positive and shut out the rest, or you will live in fear, for sure.

Re: I think we are too hysterical about it ... new
      #349726 - 09/05/09 07:37 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I don't have a problem with, "Ask not what your country can do for you- ask what you can do for your country"...but it gets a little creepy when asked, "What can you do to help President Obama." I agree, it has gotten way out of hand, but I suspect it is driven by fear.

Parents need to be cautious when the president, ANY president, enters the children's psychological domain as a huge parent figure in a learning environment. His presence in this manner, along with the structured study questions (in this incidence)that follow, can be appropriately construed as being politically persuasive.

Even "if" there was ever to be a political message in his speech, I'm betting there will be no hint of it on Tuesday. I hear the speech will be released on Monday, so I'll probably check it out. I guess the best thing is to always be informed, especially when it comes to your children.

read the speech new
      #349765 - 09/07/09 06:20 PM
frygurl

I read the speech, and just as I expected, it is a motivational speech about working hard to stay in school to benefit not only oneself, but society as a whole. Spoken from a president who did not begin life with a privileged existence. I think this could inspire hope in millions of kids who feel that they don't have the opportunities to reach far in life. At least I know where to stand now.

Frygurl new
      #349766 - 09/07/09 07:17 PM
Gerikat

I just read it and found it to be very motivating. Let's hope it catches some of those kids who have no parental/family support, (there are quite a few of those), and keeps them from falling through the cracks.

this is why new
      #349966 - 09/14/09 06:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

because of his race and the right-wing media crazies that slander everything about him. They claim he was not born in the states but have no proof, for instance. And there is this rumor that under the president's health plan we will make elderlies get euthanized. Can you believe how dumb some people are?

I stay neutral where politics are concerned but I really hate lying and misinformation.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: this is why new
      #349995 - 09/15/09 07:09 PM
kim123

Again, I think it is because of who the President associates himself with that leaves people feeling a little unnerved...unvetted "advisors" (czars) Van Jones,Cass Sunstein, John Holdren, as well as ACORN whom the gov't gives beaucoup tax dollars to, and to whom OBAMA said he "wanted to have input into the agenda for the presidency...", and, "he's been fighting alongside ACORN on issues....."

Just because people ask questions and demand answers doesn't make them "crazies". Did you read the 1000 page health plan, and understand everything in there? We need reform, but let's make sure we all understand the implications and outcomes first, of every line written in there.

any comments on Pres. Carter's comments?-nt new
      #350014 - 09/16/09 04:03 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: any comments on Pres. Carter's comments?-nt new
      #350017 - 09/16/09 05:16 PM
kim123

Seems like he still trying to be in the limelight with comments like that. He had more disgruntled citizens speak out against his policies than I think even Obama does right now. Were they all racist? Even the White House is trying to distance itself from it all. Oh brother...why can't we all just get along............

a thought about racism new
      #350018 - 09/16/09 06:26 PM
frygurl

I took a course in college on multiculturalism in education, and something I learned from that class is that we as humans, all carry prejudices, and to deny that those prejudices exists does nothing to help us resolve them. In fact, it perpetuates them. I was surprised through assignments we did in class to discover my own personal prejudices. I always thought of myself as open minded.

I think by claiming that Obama's race is not an issue for many people, and that on some level it influences their opinions of the work he is doing as President, is, well, denial. We are not color blind, though many people will state fervently that they are.

In fact, I believe I may carry a certain reverse prejudice regarding Obama, in that I believe that his background and ethnicity set him apart from any president we've ever had, and therefore, he will bring something different to the table. On the other hand, I acknowledge that he is a politician, and in that way, is the same as other presidents.

I don't disagree that people who are speaking out against Obama may take issue with his policies, etc. I just think it's important to realize that race is a factor, whether people acknowledge it or not.

Pelosi speaks new
      #350039 - 09/17/09 01:44 PM
frygurl

House Speaker Pelosi said something today that expressed this deep seated unease I have about the level of hostility being shown towards the health care reform and president Obama. She says it's reminiscent of the violent gay rights battle in San Francisco in the 1970's, the one that resulted in the assassination of Harvey Milk and George Moscone. I am concerned about the level of anger and hate in comments made by critics, including the statement "You lie!" when Obama was addressing congress. Pelosi points out that inciting anger through such comments in the general population may lead to violence, as it did in San Francisco. As I've followed the debates over health care reform, as well as other actions by the Obama administration, I get the sense the debate is going to escalate as people gain momentum, and not only is it dividing us as country, but I worry about the actions of less stable folks. Pelosi thinks that being allowed to speak your mind is a great thing, but also that people need to take responsibility for how their words and actions might influence others. Keep the debate civil and factual people!

Frygurl new
      #350041 - 09/17/09 03:34 PM
Gerikat

Have you seen the movie, 'Milk'? It is well worth watching. Informative but sad. Sean Penn gives a stellar performance.

Re: Frygurl new
      #350042 - 09/17/09 04:00 PM
frygurl

I did - it was well done, and yes very sad. It spoke to me, especially around the time proposition 8 passed in California, denying gay couples the right to marry. I'm a teacher, and when that prop passed, a student asked me, how can anyone tell you who to marry? I didn't have an answer for her.

#350043 - 09/17/09 04:39 PM
Gerikat

Oh, I know so sad, indeed. I thought the movie was excellent. I love true stories, no matter how much they hurt.

Re: a thought about racism new
      #350044 - 09/17/09 05:00 PM
kim123

Was race a factor when everyone, including House Democrats screamed "liar" to George Bush? - or protested his policies, especially the war? ....Who can forget Cindy Sheehan and her crew. By the way, does anyone even know she had a protest against Obama in August? See how lop-sided the media is.

Not saying Bush, or Obama was or wasn't lying, but we are clearly seeing that people take issue when they feel government tries to push their own agenda (i.e. big government)over the wants of the people.

Michael Steele, along with other African Americans are protesting Obama's agenda. Are we to assume they are racist, too?

You are correct; Obama is definitely bringing something different to the table.

very insightful new
      #350052 - 09/17/09 08:27 PM
Little Minnie

I thought about Carter's comments that the majority have racial issues etc. The thing is that people so often are not aware that they really are racist or sexist for that matter. It is this 'I just don't like that person for who they are' or whatever, when really they don't even realize the true reason!
The comments on the Today show the other morning were very interesting. Matt quoted someone saying that when the senator screamed 'you lie!' there was an unspoken 'boy' in the air. I thought that was shocking at first but afterward I agreed. He wouldn't have been so offended or so reckless and disrespectful if he just diagreed with the statements. His racism-based hatred was too firey to contain. It is hard to put into words and I haven't written or done work on the subject since school.
When it comes to prejudices we all have them- it could be teenagers or old people or southern white men or stay at home moms or celebrities or hunters or cops or migrant workers and immigrants. I think people need to stop being in denial of their own feelings. I acknowledge all the time that I have predetermined thoughts on teenagers and when one is different it surprises me!
I have no doubts at all that much of the extreme dislike of Obama is race driven. I wonder how Hillary would have done. Would sexism be stronger than racism?

--------------------

Re: Pelosi speaks new
      #350092 - 09/18/09 04:06 PM
kim123

Nancy could also include the unsettling level of hostility shown by the Black Panthers in the 70's, the hostility and anti-government riots (i.e. bombing of the Pentagon) of the Weather Underground, SDS radical student group-transformed into Weatherman, a terrorist group, or the blowing up of pipelines in Canada, and on it goes........

There are some really crazy nuts out there (like that super crazy man who was once chairman of the San Francisco Housing Corporation appointed by a Democrat, friends of Walter Mondale, Rosalyn Carter, speaker at Democratic HQ, what was his name again?...oh yeah, Jim Jones) who are doing things that don't represent the people they associate themselves with. You can't call all those who wish to protect the constitution "right-wing crazies" just because there are a few nuts out there doing/saying hurtful things. If that is the case, then if you believe in cap and trade, when "ELF" blew up hummers and resorts, you should be identified as one of them. As well, if you are pro-choice, should one blame you for the recent killing of the pro-life protester?

As far as I know, no media- labeled "right-wing crazy" protester has bombed, killed, or caused street riots.

#350093 - 09/18/09 04:21 PM
Gerikat

Whoops, sorry, got my answer in another post.

Edited by Gerikat (09/18/09 04:26 PM)

#350100 - 09/18/09 06:52 PM
Little Minnie

The right-wing crazies I am talking about are the Rush Limbaugh types and that other guy Obama mentioned by name during the elections. I can't remember his name. It is these highly biased and full of propaganda 'media' sources that fuel all the insane townhall meeting rage we have seen of late. I don't know many of their names but they are usually cited as references when people say they heard really out-there things- like the people next to me at the farmers' market who think the health care will make us euthanize elderly people. That is pretty loony to believe that.
I don't really follow your post, but if Simpsons and South Park have taught me anything, it is that the general population is just waiting for a reason to become a violent mob. So I agree with Pelosi.

--------------------

#350102 - 09/18/09 08:16 PM
kim123

I certainly respect your opinion. It's always good to have a rational discussion, unlike what we've been hearing about lately through the media. My point was, even the Democrats have had their share of associated crazies doing things most of us would agree to be intolerable. No party is exempt. I can't whole-heartedly agree with any party at this point. I think all government (both sides) is corrupt to a certain extent.

Perhaps if Obama could outline specifics of how he would extend coverage to tens of millions without increasing the deficit, and explain how we will be able to sustain the dramatic increase of people using the system of doctors and diagnostics we now have in place, as well as allow Congress to take time to read the bill, have bi-partisan debate and have open discussion instead of trying to push it through on his timeline, people would be more willing to buy into it. The President has not even invited the GOP to the White House for meetings on healthcare reform. He has enough warm bodies to pass the bill without the GOP, yet he is still having difficulty getting support within his own party. That should say something.

Personally, I think we need to reform the old system, including tort reform, allowing people to buy across state borders to promote competition, before changing everything and creating a 7 trillion deficit (according to Congressional Budget Office) in doing so. Right now, surveys say 87% of employees are likely to cut benefits if reform leads to higher costs. People will lose their choice of private coverage. I'm not willing to take that chance.Look at the Cash for Clunkers program as a indication as to what could happen when the government gets involved...it ran out of money the first week, charities are hurting, and used car auto parts and service, along with auto parts stores are short 650,000 cars to work on and sell for parts.

We need reform, but we need to get it right.

Re: very insightful new
      #350282 - 09/25/09 12:51 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

WOW!!!! Very nice, Little Minnie. Yes, most people are driven by racism even though they do not want to admit it. I wanted to say alot more, but I don't want to offend anyone. It's not necessarily racism, all the time, per se, but prejudice like you said.

I like your example of the teenager. I feel the same. They just annoy me until I find a 'cool' one.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#350287 - 09/25/09 01:21 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Nice spin on things, Gerikat! Glad to hear a change of heart. I don't particularly care for Obama, I didn't vote for him, but if he's trying to help the kids, let him do it. Lord knows alot of kids have no parental/family guidance and care. They need everything they can get.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#350301 - 09/25/09 04:01 PM
Gerikat

Thanks Kappy. This has the potential to become a volatile situation, just like abortion, religion, etc. I did try to stay positive and neutral, without revealing too much of my opinion on O'bama.

thanks new
      #350334 - 09/26/09 07:16 PM
Little Minnie

I am daily becoming more aware of the racism in this country. My hub was saying stuff about the anti-Obama but plain racist propaganda he sees his coworkers display. It isn't just political but extremely racist, and he says so to them.
Then he was telling me of someone he knows who had two black friends up north (north part of MN) to go hunting or whatever. They went to a restaurant in Grand Marais and the waitress had to tell them that the cook would not cook for them. I didn't catch if they were African or African American. But can you believe someone in the north (vs the south) could still be so actively racist?
Then we went up north this weekend and went to a large truckstop/restaurant for breakfast. There was a hunting party of guys with one black guy and the waitress didn't fill his water glass with the rest- we noticed. Little things but they speak volumes. And the media is definitely talking about this subject right now. I watched some of Meet The Press with Obama the other day and other NBC nightly reports and so on really are addressing it. Obama said in times of recession this sort of thing often comes out. We all have to remember the recession started before he came into office and not connect him to it. He is just stuck picking up the peices.

--------------------

Re: thanks new
      #350349 - 09/27/09 09:47 AM
kim123

I don't doubt that there are many racist people in this country...some even racist toward white people, of which I see it all the time at mine, and my daughter's school.

Because I do have issues with some of the policies of the Obama administration, that does not make me a racist, no more than all the Bush, Carter, Reagan antagonists were racist against them. Many blacks (and I know they are not racist)are also speaking out against Obama's policies. President Clinton was even accused of playing the race card during the campaign.

The only thing I connect to President Obama is his record since he has been in office. It's the continued spending of billions and billions of taxpayers money that has started the uprising. He has added more to the national debt while in office for 9 months than all the other presidents, including Bush, combined. 66% of voters nationwide are currently at least somewhat angry about the current policies of this administration. Don't worry, that includes the fact that 60% believe that neither party's political leaders have an understanding of what is needed today.

I think we all just want clear answers to many unanswered questions, such as where is all this money going to come from?-what is it going to mean/cost to me personally? The "race card" strategy is one both political sides will often play. They'll do whatever they need to take the focus away from them, and put the other side down, especially when it appears they are losing in a particular battle. Tactics 101.

#350358 - 09/27/09 05:56 PM
Little Minnie

I have just never had an issue with paying taxes. I want to have a safe, happy home and the most necessary needs for all around me. For roads, schools, health care, police etc I would happily pay more taxes, but where most of our taxes go is war and armament.
Sometimes I think the dividing line between a republican and an anarchist, and a democrat and a communist is perhaps starting to blend a little.

--------------------

#350360 - 09/27/09 06:42 PM
kim123

Little Minnie, I tend to agree with you. I just don't want my tax dollars going to pay for bailouts, "pork" spending and others' irresponsibility of getting into debt, buying things (i.e. houses) they couldn't afford in the first place.

As for where our taxes go, the Bush administration spent $622 billion for the entire cost of the Iraq war. Shockingly, President Obama's welfare spending alone will reach $888 billion in a single fiscal year. His projected spending proposals will lead to a spending total of 10.3 trillion over the next decade.

Where does it all end? How do we pay for it all? My opinion, less government is better.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11931

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review