All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Habba Syndrome and Oatmeal
      #345417 - 05/03/09 08:45 AM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I recently went back to my GI as my IBS is as bad as its ever been, to get his thoughts on Habba Syndrome. As expected, he had never heard of it as Habba Syndrome and was skeptical suggesting that it's really just a variation of IBS and not to be considered as something different. He got me started on the bile acid resin CHOLESTYRAMINE. It's only been 4 days so too early to tell (he said to give it about 10 days to determine its effects). On my first day however, after only one dose which I took before bed the night before, there was a huge change. My BM's and overall discomfort were minimal - I was estactic thinking I finally found the answer. Unfortunately, the next day didn't have the same results and things were back to normal - constant discomfort and multiple BM's. Like I said it's too early to come to any conclusions so I'm not giving up but this did make me think of how the same thing happens everytime I eat oatmeal after not having it for a while. It's like a wonder drug for one day and then has no continued effect.
If anyone has any thoughts whether you've experienced something similar I would love to hear them. Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Outmeal new
      #345426 - 05/03/09 10:08 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I haven't gotten my gall bladder tested yet. Is it wn expensive test for someone with no health insurance?

I'm a straight D-er, and I call oatmeal "outmeal" because it makes everything come out of me at 90 miles an hour. The whey I can tolerate, but the curds are pure IF. I get a lot of painful trapped gas and explosive D with severe cramping.

I'm not the only one on these boards with this problems; Heather's soluble fiber list is way too harsh for me, so I stick to the "What You Eat When You Can't Eat Anything Diet." Bland, but not explosive.

Hope you find some answers!

~nelly~

Re: Habba Syndrome and Oatmeal new
      #345427 - 05/03/09 10:46 AM
Pennie

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: South Carolina, US

I just started on Cholystramine a few weeks ago. It has made a Huge difference in my daily life. I noticed the results within 2 days. My Gastro dr said that you don't have to have Habba syndrome for this medicine to work. It is given to those with excessive D if none of the over the counter medications, fiber, diet, etc.. help.
My dr. recommended playing around with the dosage, he told me not to exceed 2 scoops a day. I take 1/2 a scoop about 30 minutes before lunch and another 1/2 scoop about 30 minutes before dinner.
How much are you taking?

--------------------
IBS~D

Edited by Pennie (05/03/09 10:46 AM)

#345483 - 05/03/09 10:23 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I'm taking 3 pouches (a day) each containg 4 grams. It's only been 4 full days of having a chance to determine if the Cholestyramine is helping me or not but it's been a roller coaster. The worst of it is just that there's no affect at all but this seems like a step backward after a day of significant improvements. I know I have to be patient and overall I can see an improvement already.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Re: Outmeal new
      #345517 - 05/04/09 01:01 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Oh you poor thing! I'm sorry but you got another giggle out of me!!!

I eat outmeal every morning for breakfast. It definitely makes me go when I cant!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#345523 - 05/04/09 02:17 PM
Pennie

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: South Carolina, US

I hope that it does work for you. Seems we all are looking for anything to make us feel better. You are taking a lot more than I am. I only take 4grams a day. I had No D since the 2nd day. Hopefully you will see a difference soon. Let me know how it works.

Quote:

I'm taking 3 pouches (a day) each containg 4 grams. It's only been 4 full days of having a chance to determine if the Cholestyramine is helping me or not but it's been a roller coaster. The worst of it is just that there's no affect at all but this seems like a step backward after a day of significant improvements. I know I have to be patient and overall I can see an improvement already.

--------------------
IBS~D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 521 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1947

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review