All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about light colored stools
      #345176 - 04/28/09 07:26 AM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

Hi, I've had this for a very long time and recently read somewhere that light colored (yellowish)stools could come from a number of things including liver problems. I just thought that this is related to IBS and my doctor never questioned me what color my stools are. Does anyone else have this?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about light colored stools new
      #345315 - 04/30/09 11:55 AM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

What have you been eating? Sometimes what you eat makes your BMs a certain color... I have light ones every now and then, and VERY dark ones. Depends.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#345344 - 05/01/09 12:04 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

There's a good post by a GI on Mayo Clinic's site... I tried to find it, but I couldn't - too late, must get some sleep! BUT - once I was worried and this dr's post helped my anxiety by defining different colored stools.
However, yes, mine have been yellow sometimes - usually during a severe flare up and it can be due to the bile content in your stool. I was checked for gallstones, but not the problem. This dr. explains every color from dark brown to green!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#345346 - 05/01/09 04:18 AM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

This is what I found on the MayoClinic site.

Green Food is moving through the large intestine too quickly, such as due to diarrhea. As a result, bile doesn't have time to break down completely. Green leafy vegetables, green food coloring, such as in Kool-Aid or popsicles, iron supplements.

Light-colored, white or clay-colored A lack of bile in stool. This may indicate a bile duct obstruction. Certain medications, such as large doses of bismuth subslicylate (Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol) and other anti-diarrheal drugs.

Yellow, greasy, foul-smelling Excess fat in the stool, such as due to a malabsorption disorder. Sometimes the protein gluten, such as in celiac disease. But see a doctor for evaluation.

Black Bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract, such as the stomach. Iron supplements, bismuth subsalicylate (Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol), black licorice.

Bright red Bleeding in the lower intestinal tract, such as the large intestine or rectum. Red food coloring, beets, cranberries, tomato juice or soup, red Jell-O or Kool-Aid.

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 229 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2074

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review