All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Vegan
      #345012 - 04/25/09 04:52 PM
ShannonL

Reged: 01/27/09
Loc: Gardiner, Maine

Do you think that a vegan diet is better for those of us that suffer with IBS?

--------------------
Learning to Love who I am!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vegan *DELETED* new
      #345014 - 04/25/09 05:07 PM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

Post deleted by butterbean

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

for Shannon new
      #345032 - 04/26/09 08:19 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Shannon,

A vegan/vegetarian diet may work for some, but not all. I kind of go back and forth between the two.

Experment and see what works best for YOUR health, and don't worry too much about other's opinions (including mine ).

Re: Vegan new
      #345604 - 05/05/09 01:51 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Quote:

You cut out all the meats so you have to get your protein from mostly IF

This is just not true. Soy is SF, and a great source of vegan protein in things like tofu, tempeh, and various "fake meat" products. Personally, a vegan diet has been great for my IBS and I encourage you to give it a shot!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Vegan - Let's all get along! new
      #345607 - 05/05/09 02:02 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I'm like OSBO, I go back and forth between vegan/non-vegan. Most days I'm vegan, but others I'm not vegan. I'm not against eating meat, I just choose not to because it messes up my tummy.

You can get plenty of nutrients being vegan. It is probably dificult if you are IBS-D because of the IF in most fruits/veggies, but there are still plenty of them out there you can still eat.

Like she said, don't worry about everyone else's opinions, even mine . Because everyone is different, and everyone has their own views.

I'm trying to play the peace-keeper here! Let's try to all get a long, and help this girl to see if she could be a vegan or not.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

hey Kappy new
      #345609 - 05/05/09 02:13 PM
osbo54

I go back and forth between vegan/vegetarian, since I do take krill oil, eat occasional fish, and have an egg white sometimes. But, I do buy my eggs from the Amish farm, so I have some kind of idea how the hens are treated.

Remember those darn scallops (on the pot for 1 hour). Didn't even make it in time. Straight out of bed and BAM!!!!! OMG. Good thing no one was around. Now, that has NEVER happened to me before.

I don't eat the meat only because of the animals. There is a BIG love there, for me. I do remember my burgers, steaks, and fried chicken, though.

I hope ShannonL gives it a try and see how it works for her.

Re: hey Lynn! new
      #345614 - 05/05/09 02:31 PM
Kappy

Good advice! I think she should at least try it herself.

About all I eat is fish and seafood. Yeah, I remember those durn scallops! That was bad! I'm glad you recovered from that!

I eat egg whites every once-in-a-while, but not too often!

No offense, I don't mind others eating meat. I used to eat chicken, beef, pork, etc. but I just can't now. I don't want to upset you, but I do eat some deer meat sometimes when the fiance grills it! I love all the little animals as well, and you are right, they shouldn't be treated so barbarically (sp?). At least wild animals are not treated like all farm raised animals!

I hope this doesn't change your views of me, I just grew up eating all kinds of meats. I'm from the South, and you eat everything that Nanny puts on the table! hahahaha

--------------------

Edited by Kappy (05/05/09 02:33 PM)

Hey Kappy new
      #345615 - 05/05/09 02:40 PM
osbo54

Are you kiddin me? I love you regardless. I grew up a meat and potatoes girl, myself. My pop used to hunt. As he has gotten older, he has changed alot.

To each is own. You know I read somewhere that there are '3' types of business in the world. Your business, my business, and God's business. My only concern should be the second one. Now that is a quote, I just can't remember where I read it.

Now, those scallops did me in. But, you know what? I think they were bad to begin with. My friends didn't feel well, either. I had scallops at the beach last year with a wine sauce and had no problems at all. Go figure!

#345617 - 05/05/09 02:46 PM
Lisa Marie

I didn't think I said anything hurtful! If I did, I apologize. I just get extremely irritated when people say you can't get all your nutrients from a vegan diet, or it's not healthy, or whatever... I managed to grow a baby in my belly for 9 months and breastfeed her for the last 5 (and we're still going!) on my vegan diet, and she's healthy as can be!

I couldn't always tolerate soy. When I first started the diet, it gave me gas. So I eased into it and used digestive enzymes. Today, I have no problems with it. Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Lisa Marie new
      #345618 - 05/05/09 02:48 PM
osbo54

Congrats! My daughter did the same.

Re: Hey Kappy new
      #345656 - 05/06/09 07:57 AM
Kappy

HA! Love you too!

Thanks for the quote I will have to remember that one!

The scallops were probably bad to begin with!

Fiance and I ate at Red Lobster last weekend. I ate the Maui Luau Shrimp and Salmon with rice and broccoli (didn't eat the broccoli to scared I'd have bad gas on the ride home ) It was soooooo good! He had cheesecake for desert and I ate a bite, it was dreamy and creamy!

And No problems the next day!

--------------------

Edited by Kappy (05/06/09 07:58 AM)

Re: Vegan - Lisa Marie new
      #345659 - 05/06/09 08:02 AM
Kappy

No ma'am you did not say anything to offend me! I promise. I was actually talking about something else, but it came out wrong! I'm sorry for any misunderstandings!

I enjoy eating vegan (sometimes, I'm not 100% vegan). I can't do soy milk right now either, I'm going to have to try it from a different angle next time instead of all at once, I need to ease into it. I am not totally vegan, however, I do eat fish, seafood, and the occasional chicken, but I don't like the way chicken makes me feel. The fish and seafood are actualy my preference!

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, I didn't mean to!

I know what you mean when you get irritated when people say you can't get all nutrients from vegan diet. I feel the same way!

--------------------

#345672 - 05/06/09 11:05 AM
butterbean

I don't see where it says in any of the posts that you can't get any nutrients at all from a vegan diet. my comments were for me PERSONALLY not for everyone. We are all different. Some of the fake meats are soy which are hard for me to adjust to and I have tried several times starting out slow. I just hate that this board has become a debate board and people read things into posts that aren't there.

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

Ok. how bout we start over? new
      #345674 - 05/06/09 11:33 AM
Kappy

I wasn't debating anything. The way I read your post was that you can't get any protein being vegan. But there are plenty of other sources of proteins, and they are not all IF.

I can't digest soy products well myself. I am not vegan, either, but there are other protein sources than just meat.

I'm sorry if I offended you, butterbean. Your post just came across the wrong way, I guess.

So sorry.

Kappy

--------------------

Re: Ok. how bout we start over? new
      #345679 - 05/06/09 11:41 AM
butterbean

I said in my post that most of your protein would come from IF not all and I didn't say that a vegan diet was not healthy either. I did not think about the fake meats as I don't use them.. well not yet lol So that was a mistake on my part as well. I wasn't trying to offend anyone either but my post sure got jumped on quick. Ok new slate ... agreed :-)

--------------------

I actually do not new
      #345681 - 05/06/09 11:44 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think lean fish and poultry are easier to digest than the meat alternatives. It isn't easier on the animal though LOL. Most of the fake meats are full of msg type crap and even tofu can cause gassiness when not used to it. Also beans are really difficult and lentils and certain grains and other go-to vegan foods are tough to digest. But vegan diets are lean and uber healthy for the most part, especially when lots of *different* veggies are eaten.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: I actually do not new
      #345682 - 05/06/09 11:47 AM
butterbean

Well that cuts out those fake meats that have msg as I can not do msg at all. It sends me straight to the restroom.

--------------------

Same here - funny email I got today.... new
      #345686 - 05/06/09 12:16 PM
Kappy

Here here! I second that motion, no "fake meats" for me either!

Fish is my protein! Poor fishies....

I just got an email that was called "What's For Dinner" and it said:

"Can't eat pork.... swine flu

Can't eat chicken... bird flu

Can't eat beef.... mad cow

Can't eat eggs.... salmonella

Can't eat fish.... heavy metal poisons in their water

Can't eat fruits/veggies..... insectisides/herbicides...

So what to eat??? That leaves only chocolate and ice cream!!!

Haha... What is STRESSED spelled backwards DESSERTS.... hahahahahha"

I laughed my butt off when I saw this email. I hope it made you smile too!

--------------------

butterbean/kappy new
      #345691 - 05/06/09 12:40 PM
osbo54

Let's all take a very deep breath! Just kiddin! I can't do soy much either, and I am not big on the fake products or soy milk. Yuck. But, that's just my opinion.

Re: butterbean/kappy new
      #345697 - 05/06/09 02:21 PM
butterbean

I am going to try tofu so I can get more protein. But am going to take it slow because from what I read it contains soy. Soy is rich and thick compared to rice milk. I never was a milk drinker to begin with but I need my vitamins and calcium however I can get them and still be safe. Its hard because I am very limited as to what I can eat right now.

--------------------

#345698 - 05/06/09 02:29 PM
osbo54

Yes, give it a try. Tofu is bean curd from the soybean. I use it in spaghetti as a meat replacement, but not alot of it. As with anything, if you start out slow and find out what your tolerance is, then you can proceed safely.

Yes, rice milk is a bit thin, but I like the taste on my cereal. I tried soy, but it tasted like chalk (like milk o magnesia) to me. I tried almond, and wasn't too keen on that either. It really is an individual taste thing.

Why are you so limited in what you can eat right now?

#345709 - 05/06/09 04:23 PM
butterbean

I have been sick since September of last year and that has gotten my IBS into overdrive. So I have to be careful or I will end up in the bathroom all day. I have severe anxiety and depression issues which have over the years caused my IBS to worsen. I am still working on getting it all under better control. I am caught in a circle because each one aggravates or brings on the other :-( So I don't want to eat anything that will cause an attack because they last for days to weeks to months for me at times.

--------------------

#345716 - 05/06/09 05:33 PM
osbo54

I am sorry. It is a viscous circle.

#345722 - 05/07/09 05:41 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Butterbean,
Have you tried anything for the anxiety?
Have you tried the hypno tapes?
Your post sounds like my own life too.
I developed anxiety and panic attacks due to my IBS which wasn't diagnosed for almost five months as it steadily got worse and I lost alot of weight.My doctor told me it was a stomach bug and not to eat meat.I just got weaker and cried all th etime until I went to the docs and he told what it was gave me some pills and voila.It got better.Not perfect but better.That was 9 years ago or so.
I just recently went to a new doc and got pills for the anxiety.I have my IBS fairly stable due to the EFI diet which I refer to when I've strayed to far and need to restabilize.
I just wondered what meds you are on because they have helped me alot.I only take them on a as needed basis.

I really found relief from the hypno tapes though as has Lynn.If you haven't tried them you should.
HTH Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: Lisa Marie new
      #345757 - 05/08/09 07:01 AM
Lisa Marie

I'm confused... YOU were vegan when you were pregnant, or your daughter was? Either way, that's great!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: I actually do not new
      #345758 - 05/08/09 07:05 AM
Lisa Marie

Are you sure about the MSG thing, LM? I would have to disagree with that, since I know MSG gives me AWFUL migraines, and eating the various fake meats that I do never gives me migraines. Maybe you should say which ones specifically contain it rather than assuming that all of them do - you might scare people off from trying them!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#345759 - 05/08/09 07:06 AM
osbo54

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. My daugther has had two sons, both, while consuming a veggie diet.

#345760 - 05/08/09 07:12 AM
Lisa Marie

That's fabulous! How old are they? Is she raising them vegan or vegetarian? How is that going? I'm planning to raise my daughter as close to vegan as possible, so I'm always curious to hear how that has gone for other vegan parents!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#345761 - 05/08/09 07:15 AM
Lisa Marie

No, my apologies, you didn't say anything about nutrients.... That was mostly me ranting about people in general who ignorantly (is that a word?) say veganism is not healthy, when in fact it is extremely healthy. But I still stick to my guns about there being plenty of SF vegan proteins out there!! tofu, tempeh, quinoa, soy milk, soy yogurt, nut butters..... mmmmm time for my PBJ snack!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

LisaMarie new
      #345768 - 05/08/09 08:53 AM
osbo54

To be honest with you...it is the toughest job to get your kids to eat right. So, I would highly recommend starting your daughter off eating correctly.

The boys will turn 12 and 14 this month. She does her best. The toughest part is friends that eat junk, and if you are different, of course, you get made fun of. I know Jake used to take salads for his lunch, and the kids started to make fun of him (you know, middle school ), so he won't take them anymore. The school lunches are atrocious, so they pretty much take their lunch.

Chad loves fish and all seafood, so she lets him have that, once in a while. She has had to explain to him about the pollutants in the waters, the mercury in fish, so that he will understand why this can only be once in a while. It has been a tough road and a compromise at times, but I think all and all, she has done a fantastic job. They do go to parties and enjoy their pizza and soda with their friends, but it is only occasional. The key here is moderation and balance.

I think what you will find as you grow with your daughter is that, there is no easy answer or way. My daughter has decided that for as long as they are in her house, they will eat what she cooks, but when they become adults, it is their choice. She has tried to give them the best start possible.

HTH and GOOD LUCK!!

Re: LisaMarie new
      #345770 - 05/08/09 10:39 AM
Lisa Marie

Your daughter sounds like a WONDERFUL mom! I know the hardest part of my daughter (and any other children we have) being vegan will be what she eats when she's with other kids. I certainly don't want her to get made fun of, so I hope that we can make it all work. We rarely have junk food in our house anyway, once in awhile I buy cookies or soy ice cream. I admit I'm enjoying these things now while I'm still burning huge calories with breastfeeding!! Her daycare provider is also being very supportive and will work with us on menus once she starts eating "real" food, so that helps. If your daughter has any suggestions or cook book ideas on veggie meals for little ones, I'd love to hear about it!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#345772 - 05/08/09 12:38 PM
osbo54

Lisa, you are going to do great. Just make sure that the people around your daughter stick to what you and your husband have decided is in her best interest. What I have seen is that some who do not agree, will try to sabotage, but as long as you are aware, she will be fine.

You know Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote that book on how to slip in veggies in her kid's meals. She was pureeing them up and sticking them in other foods. Well, my daughter could have written that book years ago. She would make a casserole, and believe me, that broccoli would be in there somewhere. Most of the time the boys would eat their veggies, but some she had to kind of hide.

But, I have seen if you start them off right, they tend to stay with what is healthy. The danger comes in when they get that first taste of sugar. It seems to set something off in them.

My daughter came to me at the age of 12, and said, "I am not letting them kill animals for me anymore". My mouth fell open. So, from that point forward we moved into a vegetarian lifestyle and then started more towards vegan. She changed me, not the other way around.

Yeah for breastfeeding! It just puts your body right back in good working order.

#345779 - 05/08/09 02:44 PM
Lisa Marie

That's amazing that your daughter made that realization at such a young age. And giant kudos to you for being so supportive of her choice! So many parents would have refused to make such a big lifestyle change because they would see it as an inconvenience. I have a friend who's raising her daughter vegetarian, and her family is very UN-supportive, so I know that makes things hard for her. And I thought she was crazy when she said they've never let their daughter have candy or desserts (she's two and a half), but now I totally get that. My only hope is that as my daughter gets older, she will thank me for raising her this way, and have the same compassion for animals that I do.

Time to start reading up on vegan baby food...

Amen to breastfeeding! I don't even remember what IBS feels like since my daughter was born! Amazing what all those good hormones can do for you. I'm amazed at the things I can eat now, that I couldn't even really eat when I was stable before my pregnancy. I couldn't touch nuts or seeds or salads back then, and I eat all that stuff almost every day now! I love it! Although my husband swears that all the salads I eat makes Rhiannon's poop turn green....

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#345782 - 05/08/09 03:36 PM
osbo54

When my daughter was about 6 years old, we were scanning through the TV channels, and happened to come across dog fighting. I switched it as quickly as I could, but too late. She went hysterical and told me to call the people who make TV and tell them to stop. It took me hours to get her calmed down. From that point forward, I knew in my heart where she was headed, and I was right there with her.

Yes, I know sugar is a non-trigger for IBS'ers but it is so bad for our kid's health. I just don't give sugar to my grandkids.

Oh boy, will your daughter thank you. When she experiences radiant health...trust me, she will say, "thanks mom". Green poop is great!

I am wondering about the hormone connection. Don't you? I have seen alot of posts where IBS has either gotten worse or better due to periods, pregnancy, menopause. I think there must be a connection.

Have a wonderful weekend!

#345875 - 05/11/09 08:18 AM
Lisa Marie

Your daughter sounds extremely precocious! I had a wonderful Mother's Day, and I hope you did too!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

I don't want to scare people new
      #345916 - 05/11/09 06:33 PM
Little Minnie

I posted tonight about Boca burgers and such and how I love them but they contain MSG derivatives. I haven't yet found a fake meat item without MSG derivatives (or however you want to put it)- such as autolyzed yeast extract and hydrolized protein.
umami- that is the flavor of fake meat LOL.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#345917 - 05/11/09 06:35 PM
Little Minnie

I find even doctors warn people about the nutrients they are sure you will miss being vegan- like B 12. Luna bars have 100% and my multivitamin has some too. I don't hear them warn every patient who eats bacon that it will give them a heartattack!

--------------------

#345994 - 05/13/09 11:57 AM
Lisa Marie

Hehe, well said!! That's the first one they always bring up - B12. Well, my multivitamin has 100% of my daily allowance, so I'm not worried.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: I don't want to scare people new
      #347449 - 06/23/09 11:56 AM
sandyindy

Reged: 11/21/08
Loc: Indiana

I was curious about the fake MSG you listed. Are they in fact the same as MSG? I think I've seen hydrolized protein in an item that wasn't a fake meat item, I just can't remember what it was? Thanks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 262 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14201

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review