All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Vegan
      #345012 - 04/25/09 04:52 PM
ShannonL

Reged: 01/27/09
Loc: Gardiner, Maine

Do you think that a vegan diet is better for those of us that suffer with IBS?

--------------------
Learning to Love who I am!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vegan *DELETED* new
      #345014 - 04/25/09 05:07 PM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

Post deleted by butterbean

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

for Shannon new
      #345032 - 04/26/09 08:19 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Shannon,

A vegan/vegetarian diet may work for some, but not all. I kind of go back and forth between the two.

Experment and see what works best for YOUR health, and don't worry too much about other's opinions (including mine ).

Re: Vegan new
      #345604 - 05/05/09 01:51 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Quote:

You cut out all the meats so you have to get your protein from mostly IF

This is just not true. Soy is SF, and a great source of vegan protein in things like tofu, tempeh, and various "fake meat" products. Personally, a vegan diet has been great for my IBS and I encourage you to give it a shot!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Vegan - Let's all get along! new
      #345607 - 05/05/09 02:02 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I'm like OSBO, I go back and forth between vegan/non-vegan. Most days I'm vegan, but others I'm not vegan. I'm not against eating meat, I just choose not to because it messes up my tummy.

You can get plenty of nutrients being vegan. It is probably dificult if you are IBS-D because of the IF in most fruits/veggies, but there are still plenty of them out there you can still eat.

Like she said, don't worry about everyone else's opinions, even mine . Because everyone is different, and everyone has their own views.

I'm trying to play the peace-keeper here! Let's try to all get a long, and help this girl to see if she could be a vegan or not.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

hey Kappy new
      #345609 - 05/05/09 02:13 PM
osbo54

I go back and forth between vegan/vegetarian, since I do take krill oil, eat occasional fish, and have an egg white sometimes. But, I do buy my eggs from the Amish farm, so I have some kind of idea how the hens are treated.

Remember those darn scallops (on the pot for 1 hour). Didn't even make it in time. Straight out of bed and BAM!!!!! OMG. Good thing no one was around. Now, that has NEVER happened to me before.

I don't eat the meat only because of the animals. There is a BIG love there, for me. I do remember my burgers, steaks, and fried chicken, though.

I hope ShannonL gives it a try and see how it works for her.

Re: hey Lynn! new
      #345614 - 05/05/09 02:31 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Good advice! I think she should at least try it herself.

About all I eat is fish and seafood. Yeah, I remember those durn scallops! That was bad! I'm glad you recovered from that!

I eat egg whites every once-in-a-while, but not too often!

No offense, I don't mind others eating meat. I used to eat chicken, beef, pork, etc. but I just can't now. I don't want to upset you, but I do eat some deer meat sometimes when the fiance grills it! I love all the little animals as well, and you are right, they shouldn't be treated so barbarically (sp?). At least wild animals are not treated like all farm raised animals!

I hope this doesn't change your views of me, I just grew up eating all kinds of meats. I'm from the South, and you eat everything that Nanny puts on the table! hahahaha

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Edited by Kappy (05/05/09 02:33 PM)

Hey Kappy new
      #345615 - 05/05/09 02:40 PM
osbo54

Are you kiddin me? I love you regardless. I grew up a meat and potatoes girl, myself. My pop used to hunt. As he has gotten older, he has changed alot.

To each is own. You know I read somewhere that there are '3' types of business in the world. Your business, my business, and God's business. My only concern should be the second one. Now that is a quote, I just can't remember where I read it.

Now, those scallops did me in. But, you know what? I think they were bad to begin with. My friends didn't feel well, either. I had scallops at the beach last year with a wine sauce and had no problems at all. Go figure!

Re: Vegan - Let's all get along! new
      #345617 - 05/05/09 02:46 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I didn't think I said anything hurtful! If I did, I apologize. I just get extremely irritated when people say you can't get all your nutrients from a vegan diet, or it's not healthy, or whatever... I managed to grow a baby in my belly for 9 months and breastfeed her for the last 5 (and we're still going!) on my vegan diet, and she's healthy as can be!

I couldn't always tolerate soy. When I first started the diet, it gave me gas. So I eased into it and used digestive enzymes. Today, I have no problems with it. Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Lisa Marie new
      #345618 - 05/05/09 02:48 PM
osbo54

Congrats! My daughter did the same.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 349 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14201

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review