All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cholystermine
      #344255 - 04/08/09 01:03 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I had my doctor put me on colestipol because it is a nice pill compared to cholystermine the powder. But I have been taking it for about 3 weeks and its not helping like the Cholystermine did. I didn't like the gas side affect the powder gave me but maybe once my system got use to it it would go away. I don't know but now I am just frustrated. Is powder more effective then pills in most medicines?
---------------------------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cholystermine new
      #344677 - 04/18/09 09:45 AM
Pennie

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: South Carolina, US

I don't know the answer to you ?? but just wondering how it is going for you. How did you end up getting on this medicine?
I am going to try & get my dr. to give me a prescription for cholystermine.

--------------------
IBS~D

#344690 - 04/18/09 04:38 PM
mrae

Well when I changed my Gi doctor Cholystermine was the first medicine he put me on and it did help alot. Unfortunately I get smelly gas with it so I had him switch me to pills called Colestripol which is in the same family as the other. They don't seem to be working but I just might have to up my dose. I tried the Cholystermine again for 2 days and sure enough the gas came back. Stop taking it the next day and it was gone. So now I am taking calcium and just started Align lastnight so we will see. I am going to stick with the pills and see if I can just up my dose with them. Yes I would for sure see if you doctor can prescribe this to you because it might help you as well and is worth trying.

#344756 - 04/20/09 05:30 PM
Pennie

Thanks for replying. I have tried cholystermine (my brother takes this for habba syndrome) & it has stopped my D. I just am now having some gas pains. I think I may try gasx w/this. Did you try any anit-gas meds along w/the cholystermine?
Thanks again,
Pennie

--------------------
IBS~D

#344759 - 04/20/09 06:19 PM
mrae

I did try GasX and beano but I don't think I tried it long enough. I just couldn't stand the smelly gas it was very uncontrollable but the Cholystermine did work. Maybe I should take it for a week or so with it and give it some time to work. Let me know how it works for you and I will let you know how it does for me.

#344760 - 04/20/09 06:21 PM
mrae

One more question. How much do you take in a day one or two packets? My gi doc also recommended trying pepto for the gas. I can not take that cause it will stop me up but maybe I could take 1/2 a dose here and there just to stop the gas. Anyway just wanted to give you that option.

#344767 - 04/21/09 03:30 AM
Pennie

I don't officially have a prescription yet, I go to my doc on Thursday.
I did not receive this in packets, it is loose powder in a canister w/a measuring spoon. I take I spoonful a day. I started w/gasx last night & it seemed to relieve the pain. I will keep you updated.
It would be nice if the pill would work as well as the powder. It may be that you need a higher dose to reach the equivilant of the powder??
Pennie

--------------------
IBS~D

#344774 - 04/21/09 07:00 AM
mrae

I called my gi doctor yesterday to see if I can take more pills at once or at least throughout the day to maybe get it up to what I was taking with the powder. So just waiting for his call. Hopefully that will do the trick. Well I am glad this seems to work for you and good luck.

#344859 - 04/23/09 02:56 AM
Pennie

What did your dr say about increasing the pills?
I go to my dr today & am praying he gives me a prescription for this med! It does seem to cause mild gas in me, which I had before, but I don't have D every day. So I will figure out a way to deal w/the gas (as long as it is mild).

--------------------
IBS~D

#344873 - 04/23/09 08:28 AM
mrae

He told me I could take 2 at a time but never said how many a day so I guess I will stick to the 4 a day but I will take 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. I started taken Align about a week ago so I take that at night and he also told me to take Calcium so I take one in the morning about an hr before the Colestipol and one at night right before I lay down. You would think with all of this I would be ok. It is ridiculous how many different things we have to try. How is the GasX working with it for you. I might just finally give up and try that again. I go back to the Gi doctor next wednesday for my results so we will go from there I guess.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 600 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5758

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review