Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I need advice on a prenatal question
      #344186 - 04/07/09 01:22 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hey everyone!
I am looking to get pregnant pretty soon and I am high-risk due to my heart issues. Well my OBGYN prescribed me prenatals today and I went to get it filled at its $60.00 a month! So I didnt fill it. Well I came home and looked it up online and the ones he prescribed me are called Prenate with DHA. I guess DHA is fatty acids??? Heres the website that tells about it: Prenate

Do you guys think this prenatal would even be ok to take with IBS?? I dont really understand what a fatty acid is and the word "fatty" makes me nervous with IBS!! But I am kinda worried that maybe I should be taking the ones my doc. prescribed. What do you think?? Thanks for your help!!

Stefanie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I need advice on a prenatal question new
      #344193 - 04/07/09 02:26 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Hi there! Good luck to you and your husband!

The following are the ingredients in the pill (besides the nutritional stuff)

Other Ingredients: Soy lecithin, beeswax, fish oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, gelatin, sorbitol, glycerin, propylene glycol, titanium dioxide, vanillin, FD&C blue No.1, hypromellose.

The hydrogenated vegetable oil, Blue #1, and hypromellose scare me. I don't think they are very good for IBS. I know that Hydrogenated vegetable oil is considered trans fats. The Blue #1 is an artificial coloring that may affect you, and as a food additive, hypromellose is an emulsifier, thickening and suspending agent, and an alternative to animal gelatin (wikipedia). Hypromellose just doesn't sound good to me. It is also used in tile adhesives and cement renders. I just don't know if I would want that in my body.

Does your OBGYN know you have IBS? I would talk to her/him about the ingredients in the vitamin and go from there. Or, you can take one and see what it does.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Steffi-- new
      #344198 - 04/07/09 03:04 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Actually, the biggest ingredient to stay away from is the sorbitol. It's an artificial sweetener and bothers most with IBS.
I personally wouldn't worry about the other ingredients, but the sorbitol is in a lot of different vitamins. BOO!
Anyway, congrats on trying to get pregnant! How long have you been married now? So exciting!

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: Steffi-- new
      #344202 - 04/07/09 05:04 PM
steffiejoy

Thanks for your help!! We will be married for 3 years on April 22nd. How long have you been married Aly?
I do stay away from sorbitol, so knowing now that it has sorbitol in it makes me nervous. But I guess theres only one way to find out. I think I will try them, I only take one a day and I am thinking if I take it with some soluable fiber- like some white rice maybe it wont bother me...hopefully! My mom totally yelled at me for not getting the prescription! She says that if my obgyn prescribed them for me then there most be a reason! So needless to say I guess I should listen to my mamma! I think I am going to wait for payday to get them filled though... $60.00 a month for these is a lot!

#344203 - 04/07/09 05:12 PM
Aly

haha- sounds like something my Mom would say! We've been married 1.5 years. It's been great, but boy does it fly by!
I'd probably also try the vitamins and just see what happens. Somethings can be tolerated just fine...like last yr I had 2 different rounds of antibiotics and one bothered me and one didn't! You never know!
Trying to get pregnant though, you want to do everything you can. We're not quite ready to have kids yet. I've had over a yr of non stop bleeding and the doc decided to give me a mirena IUD. It can last for up to 5 years, but our plan is to give it about 2-3 years to regulate my system and then have kids. Plus, bleeding for a year when you're already anemic isn't a good idea! I'm so tired!
Good luck with everything:) Keep us posted!
My parents are in Akron and said they have 3 inches of snow! Did you get a lot as well? Only flurries in Columbus!

--------------------
IBS-A

#344208 - 04/07/09 07:46 PM
steffiejoy

Hey Aly!
I'll give them a shot. How is mirena? Do you have any side effects? I hope it has helped your bleeding. Over a year of non-stop bleeding is crazy!!
We have a decent amount of snow here I would say about 3-4 inches also. Its still snowing a bit right now and its going on 11:00 pm. I'm on spring break!! By the weekend its supposed to be in the 50s so it should all be melted by then!

#344216 - 04/08/09 04:53 AM
Aly

Let us know how the prentals work. I'll need a good one in a few years!
As for the mirena, it's supposed to cause irregular bleeding until your body gets used to it. I got it almost a month ago and got my period a week later. Let's just say this is day 16 of my period...BOO! But after 3-6 months it's supposed to even out and I could possibly get *no* period! Here's hoping!
Enjoy spring break!!

--------------------
IBS-A

#344217 - 04/08/09 05:07 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I'm so sure you could get a more natural pre-natal with all of the necessary things in it and none of the crap (why does a pill need partially hydrogenated oil in it, thats insane!) that those pills have. I would go to http://www.iherb.com/pregnancy , or vitaminshoppe.com and do a search. If you can find something that compares, take it or email it to your doctor and see if he thinks its just as good.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#344223 - 04/08/09 06:31 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Hi I am taking just regular vitimins from target right now while we are trying my ob says there good until I get pregant then he may put me on something differant. I have took them for about 7 months now and hadn't had any prolbems. I am getting bum we have been trying for about 4 months now and nothing.... Good luck to you! hugs xxxx
Emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#344227 - 04/08/09 07:11 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Glad to hear those are still working for you, Emmasmom!

People get all worked up over prenatals, and often they really aren't necessary. I took my regular, generic, one a day women's multivitamin every day that I was pregnant and had no problems. The DHA IS important while you're pregnant, but there are other sources of that. For example, I take ground flaxseed meal in my smoothie every morning to get my daily allowance of it. You need plenty of iron and calcium, and definitely folic acid, but you can just add a supplement of those things VERY inexpensively (if necessary), rather than spending a fortune on prenatals. I personally think they are a waste of money. I had my OB check all the vitamins and minerals in my daily vitamin and she said they were perfectly fine for pregnancy.

Just my two cents. Good luck!!! I absolutely LOVED being pregnant!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3176

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review