All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
This may sound strange but...
      #343094 - 03/10/09 09:23 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Ok so i really love the packaging of Heathers stuff but I don't use the products.
Would anybody be willing to send me their empty containers??I will pay postage.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: This may sound strange but... new
      #343103 - 03/10/09 02:01 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I see that you don't use Heathers products and that you are IBS-D. Are you stable and what works for you to handle the D? The only thing I have of Heathers is The canister from the fiber.
-----------------
IBS-D

#343117 - 03/11/09 07:02 AM
dragonfly

Someone once said that to consider yourself stable means that your IBS doesn't interfere with your daily life....well I am what I would call stable too.I have my bad days where I eat all the wrong stuff an it's hit or miss if I pay for it, but if I do that a few days in a row,yes I have an attack.
I did the cd program and followed the EFI as best I could to get to the best place I can.I can't do the peppermint and I have to avoid all soy products.I do use butter and eat reg cheese.I found that dairy is not my trigger.
Stress is so trying not to let it get me ..well I'm still trying.

So ..no I don't use any of her products or anyone else's.I tried the fennel tea and couldn't do it.

Whenever I feel yucky I go back to the SF diet.
If you need help breaking the cycle of D I can suggest using Slippery Elm.It helped me stop chronic D caused from gallbladder removal.
I also use Imodium when not sure how the day is going,but I rarely have to do this.
I have more issues now from anxiety issues than from my IBS.

HTH

--------------------

#343119 - 03/11/09 07:24 AM
mrae

I have heard good things about slippery elm. I will have to try it. Do you take it on a regular basis or just on occasion? I to use Immodium when the day seems to not be so stable. This is the only thing that really works for me besides Cholystermine but I have such bad side effects with the Cholystermine that I haven't been taking it. I have thought about trying it in smaller doses. But I think I will give the slippery elm a try. Thank you.

#343130 - 03/11/09 09:24 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Hey Dragonfly! You sound a lot like me! I have to blame my IBS-D on anxiety issues, too. If I'm stressed, I can count on my tummy acting up. I am trying PB-8 Probiotics again. They have helped in the past. And I also take a low dose of Lexapro. Not sure if it really helps much. I consider Imodium my American Express....I never leave home without it!

#343166 - 03/12/09 07:28 AM
dragonfly

I only take it (Slippery Elm) when my bowels are acting up.

I take Lorazepam 1mg for my anxiety but thats only if I have to go somewhere and I've not been feeling the best.I take it with me when I go out but try not to take it.The problem with anti depressants or antianxiety pills are that eventually they won't help and you will have to up your dose.Then your body becomes dependent on them.So...I onl take this one for really bad days an dso far its only been 3 times.Once for the kids school concert,twice for the dentist.All three times....I was the happiets person and my bowels never acted up.I LOVE MY LORAZEPAM!!!Only problem is that it makes you really tired if you aren't doing anything and you will crash for a couple hours.

--------------------

#343170 - 03/12/09 08:09 AM
mrae

I took Lorazepam last night cause I had a very stressful day and I have to go to Bakersfield today so I went ahead and took it. I usually don't take it during the day cause of the drowsiness but I think I will stick to just taken it as needed not on a daily basis.

Re: Slippery Elm? new
      #343172 - 03/12/09 08:50 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

What is slippery elm supposed to do for d? I'm curious because I've found that whenever I drank throat coat tea, which contains it that my d was worse. I haven't tried it for years now because of that. Maybe it was something else in the tea that bothered me, but slippery elm sounded like such an obvious candidate based on the name that I decided it was that!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#343175 - 03/12/09 09:34 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I actually have tried a colon cleanse that is not a stimulant laxative. It also has slippery elm as one of the proprietory ingredients. It helps me go. And I mean GOOO! I don't see how it could work for D, but it's also not the only ingredient in the laxative. There are also a whole lot more natural herbs in it that help. I know there's senna in the laxative, but that's all I can think of for right now.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#343178 - 03/12/09 09:46 AM
dragonfly

Slippery Elm is used to calm and soothe irritated colon which leads to D or C depending on your body.It stops the burning pain I get from D and calms things down so I can have a"normal" movement.As for C it calms the irritation in the bowels caused from the buildup of feces.
I took it for chronic d from gallbladder removal.I mean crazy yellow all day D.With in three days it cleared up .
My mother in law uses it for IBS C.It helps her go.

Maybe give it shot on its own and see how it helps.As for C I think it would take a lot longer but for D it worked within three days and I haven't had a problem since.That was a year ago.

Most likely it was something else that caused those symptoms.It isn't a laxative or a nonlaxative(whatever ).Its like moisture for dry skin or calamine lotion for poison ivy.It just soohes th eintestinal lining so it can be regular again.
HTH

--------------------

Edited by dragonfly (03/12/09 09:49 AM)

Well, that makes more sense, thanks for the insight ...... nt new
      #343179 - 03/12/09 09:55 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Re: Well, that makes more sense, thanks for the insight ...... new
      #343200 - 03/12/09 06:34 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Thanks, maybe I'll get some at the HFS and give it one more shot. - Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#343863 - 03/30/09 06:12 PM
mrae

Do you have to take slippery elm on a regular basis or once it stopped your d were you ok to get off of it?

#343876 - 03/31/09 05:48 AM
dragonfly

I took it for about a week and that was it but my inlaw takes it regularly for C.I go back to it once ina while if I have had a bout of D again.

Have you tried it yet?

--------------------

#343882 - 03/31/09 07:12 AM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

Is there a certain brand or doseage that you recommend?

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

#343915 - 04/01/09 07:30 AM
dragonfly

Not really just hit a HFS and ask for an organic version.If they don't have it(they should)try the local pharmacy.We had a great pharmacist and she was schooled in natural remedies as well so often i would try her suggestions before filling a prescription.Good luck

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4161

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review