All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS / Pregnancy advice wanted!!
      #342822 - 03/04/09 02:00 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Okay, ladies... I'm interested to hear how your IBS was during pregnancy. Just found out I'm pregnant (6 weeks), and I'm SOOO hoping my IBS will go away for a few months!

I've been stable for a couple of years, but I really want to be able to eat a wider variety of foods and less soy while I'm pregnant. Right now I do still need the EFI diet, but I'm wondering at what point most people have their IBS go into remission. Also, were you able to eat anything?? I am really hoping to eat beef, salads, and chocolate!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS / Pregnancy advice wanted!! new
      #342823 - 03/04/09 02:22 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Congratulations!!!

While I stuck to the EFI diet while pregnant, I can honestly say my IBS didn't bother me at all. Sure I had some problems with C and gas near the end, but what pregnant lady doesn't??? I didn't attribute that to IBS. The only times I noticed flare-ups was right at the beginning, and when switching from one trimester to another. But they only lasted a day or two. Breastfeeding has also been fabulous for my IBS - practically a cure for C! AND I'm eating salads again, which I haven't done in YEARS!

Everyone's different, but I can say pregnancy was great for my IBS Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#342847 - 03/05/09 08:09 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Julie~ First of all congrats thats wonderful! My ibs was very good to me while I was prego with my daughter. I could enjoy orange juice and pizza. Second of all I enjoy reading your post even the old ones your tips and ideas and suggestions has helped me alot ( I love the cinnamon bagels from thomas . Wish I could find something besides butter to put on them though.) I read were you said you were stable and could eat more foods I was wondering what kind of foods you eat and how you got them back into you. I am doing alot better with my ibs still limted on fruits due to the fructose of some fruit. I finley got brave and added some broccoli the other night. They only thing I haven't been brave engouh to do is beans... So any advice or meal ideas would be great. Sorry to ramble on, me and dh are hopeing to be pregant soon and I would like to have more food choices as well. Send some baby dust my way . Congrats and thanks again.
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#342880 - 03/05/09 01:03 PM
birtha

Reged: 02/05/09

what is the EFI diet you guys are talking about?

Eating for ibs-nt new
      #342888 - 03/05/09 01:28 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

#342916 - 03/05/09 06:58 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Thanks for the good wishes!

Lisa Marie, That's good to hear. My IBS doesn't normally bother me as long as I stick to the diet and don't get overly stressed. Man, a big salad sounds so good right now!

Emmasmom, yes, I'm able to cheat a LITTLE now and then without major problems, but I really do stick to the diet pretty strictly. When I first started, I really just ate plain chicken breasts and rice or noodles. As I stabilized, I began branching out & eating more of the foods from the safe list. After being very stable for a while now, I am able to cheat a bit (a few drinks of caff-free coke, a couple of pieces of candy, pizza with most of the cheese scraped off, etc.) without major repercussions. However, I don't do it regularly - maybe once or twice a week - and only in small portions with an otherwise safe meal. I still don't eat many fruits - really only strawberries - because they are always hard for me. They don't give me D, but they do give me acid reflux the rest of the day, and I don't like that. That's something else I'm hoping to be able to tolerate during pregnancy.

Anybody out there who is IBS-D and has had a recent pregnancy? Curious to know what new foods you tried first and how far along you were when you started to be able to eat it. Gives me something to hope for...

Birtha, You can find more on the EFI diet here...http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/how_to_eat.asp

#343187 - 03/12/09 01:34 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Ha ha - get ready for reflux to revisit you!!!! I had HORRIBLE indigestion during my entire pregnancy. I basically carried a bottle of Mylanta in my purse! I even made DH prop up the head of our bed. Hey, it helped!!! I had to take LOTS of prescription pepcid the entire time. But that's my biggest complaint. It's a wonderful journey, so enjoy every minute of it! And take pictures of your belly every week!!!! I bought a really cute "Belly Book" and wrote in it weekly during my pregnancy. It's got places for pictures every week, too. I know my daughter will really appreciate it when she's older and pregnant for the first time

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 273 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2131

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review