All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
cardiac arrythmia and IBS?? (new member intro, too!!)
      #342796 - 03/03/09 11:54 PM
oejacs

Reged: 03/03/09

Hi everyone. It's so great to have found this site - I've been a regular visitor for the last few months while I try to get some sort of order in my life now that I know about my IBS. I'm almost 46, a Uni lecturer from New Zealand, mum of 4, grandmother of one!
My question is - do any of you get cardiac symptoms that are connected with your gastric symptoms?? I have had premature ventricular contractions for the last month, and am in the middle of getting tests etc - but have a provisional diagnosis. The thing is that modern medicine has split up the two systems (heart and gut), but I suspect that my IBS is associated with my PVCs. I'd be really grateful for any stories and ideas - it's driving me nuts having a terrifyingly irregular heart, dizziness, raising my stress levels, tummy pains and diarrhoea, and getting close to having panic attacks I think. Help!!
Jacquie

--------------------
Jacquie
IBS-A, bloating, lactose intolerant - managing it all!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: cardiac arrythmia and IBS?? (new member intro, too!!) new
      #342800 - 03/04/09 06:52 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Jacquie
Yes, yes, yes. They seem to run periodically for me. I will get them for several days or weeks in a row, then they are gone. It is scary and uncomfortable, but I find the more I try not to focus on them, the better off I am. Absolutely NO caffeine, and controlling my stress levels with meditation also seems to help. Sometimes, when I just go on about my day, and ignore them as best as I can, they go away.

Now this may sound strange, but for me they seem to be connected with the amount of gas/bloat in my stomach at the time. Because, I will have a PVC and then burp. I get them sometimes after I eat. Weird, huh? I also get palpitations with them, but they may be considered all a part of palpitations.

I've had ALL the tests, including EKG, holter moniter, echocardiogram, and nothing...

So, docs weren't much help. When I tried to bring up the relation to the stomach issue, they poo-pooed that, so I am at a loss.

You are not alone with this one.

Lynn

#342801 - 03/04/09 08:35 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

If one of your tests includes an echocardiogram, ask if you have mitral valve prolapse. This is usually a benign condition in itself, but can be a marker for an underlying imbalance in the autonomic nervous system known as Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome. There are many symptoms, including PVCs, anxiety, dizziness, panic and even digestive disturbances like IBS. I have MVPS, and for the last six months, I have had almost constant runs of PVCs, but I have been assured that they are harmless.
I hope you get some answers and relief soon.

#342816 - 03/04/09 11:46 AM
oejacs

Reged: 03/03/09

Thanks for sharing. I'm in the midst of a major IBS attack, and have had low-grade symptoms since I-don't-know-when, so I guess the answer is to try to get the IBS well under control and see whether that pulls the pvcs back in terms of intensity and frequency. It seems so logical that they'd be connected!!

--------------------
Jacquie
IBS-A, bloating, lactose intolerant - managing it all!!

#342820 - 03/04/09 12:37 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

I truly think they are connected, but I don't think a doc is going to agree, so go with you gut. Get the IBS under control and I bet the PVC's come under control, also.

If I have anything carbonated (which I seldom do), sure enough, I will feel the gas and shoot off a PVC.

I think there is much they do not know about IBS, and maybe one day they will connect it to many more symptoms.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1624

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review